Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 21, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #7,231 of 18,621
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #7,232 of 18,621
Getting some strange behaviour from my TT2 when connect to MScaler since yesterday...

I tidied up my cabling yesterday, recabling my set up (using the same cables as previously). The TT2 and MScaler are connected via DBNC

When I turn on my TT2, it's defaulting the input to BNC2. I can manually select DBNC and get the full 705khz upscaling, but it's defaulting to 352khz on powerup.

Any advice as to what might be wrong, please?

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #7,233 of 18,621
Getting some strange behaviour from my TT2 when connect to MScaler since yesterday...

I tidied up my cabling yesterday, recabling my set up (using the same cables as previously). The TT2 and MScaler are connected via DBNC

When I turn on my TT2, it's defaulting the input to BNC2. I can manually select DBNC and get the full 705khz upscaling, but it's defaulting to 352khz on powerup.

Any advice as to what might be wrong, please?

If you haven't already done this, make sure that bnc cable output 1 on the mscaler, make sure the bnc cable goes into tt2 bnc input 1 and 2 for the other bnc cable.

Why it defaults to BNC2 ? I can only guess that one bnc cable has a loose connection possibly ? If you're using the stock cables, thats where I would look first, as alot of folks stock cables were dodgy, they worked but were very fickle.

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #7,234 of 18,621
If you haven't already done this, make sure that bnc cable output 1 on the mscaler, make sure the bnc cable goes into tt2 bnc input 1 and 2 for the other bnc cable.

Why it defaults to BNC2 ? I can only guess that one bnc cable has a loose connection possibly ? If you're using the stock cables, thats where I would look first, as alot of folks stock cables were dodgy, they worked but were very fickle.

I am an idiot.

The MScaler has 3 BNCs - I had the TT2 being fed from the wrong ones.

Fixed now. Sorry!

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #7,235 of 18,621
I am an idiot.

The MScaler has 3 BNCs - I had the TT2 being fed from the wrong ones.

Fixed now. Sorry!
I would not necessarily say that you are an idiot. But rather that HMS SHOULD have been be more clearly labeled regarding its inputs and outputs and easily visible from the TOP what input and output is what!!

In my opinion a bad design choice.
Why not put clear indication marks from the angle you are most likely to look at it from?
The TOP!

I have had similar problems when currently testing some BNC cables and exchanging those quite often.
Yes it has now been "revealed to me" that there are actually clearly better ones than the ones supplied also via BNC not only usb!
The usb cable I got with mine was not impressive.
And furthermore on the black version of HMS which I have, it is even diffficult to see the numbers at the back in less than very bright light.
Small black numbers against black and only at the back.

While in moaning mode, I would like to ask about another potential problem I have had recently. When trying to connect my mbp via optical to my HMS for the first time, and controlling cycling between optical and usb I can't do it via the remote.
I have to manually change between usb and optical.
With optical out from my mbp via Audirvana and PM I get optical out and max 24/96.
No surprise there, I know my old mbp is limited to 24/96.
The main problem may be with the players not switching mode?

But while playing music via usb which should be white and the normal reading "Hugo M Scaler"playing via memory on the menu in PM or Audirvana, the purplish colour of optical port 2 was lit while the player still displayed the usb setting when I cycled between outputs on the remote.

And even more surprising it kept playing but with the wrong settings indicated. My player indicated usb, but HMS indicated optical.
Strangely enough that purplish light of one of the optical ports has sometimes come on at startup of my HMS instead of the optical port which is green and where I have all the time had my cd player connected.
Until a couple of days ago I had not even once connected anything to that port but it has come on at startup for reasons unknown to me.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #7,236 of 18,621
They're no longer limited to USB http://sonore.us/opticalRendu.html From my personal experience the upstream equipment and ancillary components still matters with devices like this.

Thanks. I have an innuos and TT2 coming my way in the next few months. I suspect I will try some sort of USB regen in the future.

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #7,237 of 18,621
Thanks. I have an innuos and TT2 coming my way in the next few months. I suspect I will try some sort of USB regen in the future.

The ISO Regen sure helped when I was using a microRendu, I didn’t find much of an improvement when the Innuos Zenith Std Mk2 replaced the microRendu. This was when feeding a TT directly,

I have yet to revisit those findings subsequent to the arrival of the HMS and TT2. I should try to do that soon.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #7,238 of 18,621
I reconfirmed my prior results: I prefer not using the ISO Regen (IR) with the Zenith Std Mk2. While the IR brought a significant improvement to the microRendu, I hear a slight loss in transparency with the IR feeding the HMS. I powered the IR with an LPS-1.2 and used a Ghent Gotham JSSG360 DC cable. An Uptone USPCB was used between the IR and the HMS. YMMV

Jun 22, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #7,239 of 18,621
I reconfirmed my prior results: I prefer not using the ISO Regen (IR) with the Zenith Std Mk2. While the IR brought a significant improvement to the microRendu, I hear a slight loss in transparency with the IR feeding the HMS. I powered the IR with an LPS-1.2 and used a Ghent Gotham JSSG360 DC cable. An Uptone USPCB was used between the IR and the HMS. YMMV
I felt the same way when using the IR with my Zenith SE. Both generated a degree of warmth and punch, which became too much of a good thing. The significantly more expensive SOtM tX-USBultra (upgraded with with silver dc wiring and Evox caps) is a different story, especially when powered by an SR4. More detail, transparency and dynamics.

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #7,240 of 18,621
I felt the same way when using the IR with my Zenith SE. Both generated a degree of warmth and punch, which became too much of a good thing. The significantly more expensive SOtM tX-USBultra (upgraded with with silver dc wiring and Evox caps) is a different story, especially when powered by an SR4. More detail, transparency and dynamics.

Thanks for sharing. I have an Empirical Audio dynamo, which is a 12V Paul Hynes design power supply (very similar to SR4 I think). It is tempting to try it with a tx-usbultra some time.
I will probably also try my offramp 4 to see if that improves the direct output from the innuos. It did make an improvement when I compared to direct USB output from an Auralic Aries mini with LPS.

Jun 22, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #7,241 of 18,621
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #7,242 of 18,621
Got to listen to one of my favourite records on a friends mscaler and hugo2, the flow and timing of the music is just incredible.

Machine Head - Through The Ashes Of Empires

cover.jpg

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #7,243 of 18,621
Has anyone passed an ABX blind test to suggest that there's an audible difference? Or is it just 500 pages of pure imagination...

Heck we might as well just go ahead and channel the efforts to training our imagination. Bet we'd get a larger reported effect, and save a lot of money.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #7,244 of 18,621
Has anyone passed an ABX blind test to suggest that there's an audible difference? Or is it just 500 pages of pure imagination...

Heck we might as well just go ahead and channel the efforts to training our imagination. Bet we'd get a larger reported effect, and save a lot of money.

When I compared with and without M scaler in the chain it was a night and day difference. Not subtle at all.
If you want to bang on about double blind tests etc you are in the wrong section of the forum and will quickly get banned. Sound science is the sub section of head fi where you can knock yourself out.

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #7,245 of 18,621
When I compared with and without M scaler in the chain it was a night and day difference. Not subtle at all.
If you want to bang on about double blind tests etc you are in the wrong section of the forum and will quickly get banned. Sound science is the sub section of head fi where you can knock yourself out.
Thank you for the note. But before I leave you should know that what you're proposing is not only unscientific, but perhaps anti-scientific. We can't prove a negative with science, but the lack of a substantial positive claim in this case makes any investment pretty pointless imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back