Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 18, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #6,106 of 18,483
I'm typing this in a nightclub this audio stuff is well addictive :L3000: or is it the music:thinking:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #6,107 of 18,483
Has anyone honestly a/b test computer vs roon nucleus into hms/dave or similar? Using decent interconnects?
I have tested computer roon versus roon on a server network. I don’t know what a nuc is, into TT. If this matters, with fantastic interconnects.

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #6,110 of 18,483
Isn't nuc similar to the nucleus? I think close enough... Have you noticed any improvement over the computer roon?
Nucleus, are we discussing an omeoba or single cell or audio. I still, just joking, don’t know what a nuc is. Course dont care. I have a network server with a considerable improvement over an iMac 5k roon core.

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #6,111 of 18,483
Isn't nuc similar to the nucleus? I think close enough... Have you noticed any improvement over the computer roon?

I have Roon Core on my laptop (MacBook Pro w/ WiFi) and my Mac Mini media server (ethernet). I've recently added two 7i7 NUC's running AudioLinux in memory to the party as a Roon Core server and a Roon End Point. The Roon end point is connected via an ethernet bridge to the NUC Roon core, that is connected to my home network via vanilla ethernet. I have various permutations of local files and network-based files for music that I have tested.

In my setup, playing to the same NUC end point, NUC > Mac Mini > MBP. Before I had a Sonore Micro Rendu 1.4 as an end point. The NUC Is a clear step up from that as an end point. The price is so cheap, that if you're OK with a linux command line, it is a no brainer as an end point and as a server.

All this is counter intuitive, bits should be bits. My digital experimentation has been trying to test various hypothesis for what is causing the sound quality differences, and seeing if there is something that can be done immediately before the HMS to make all the upstream stuff irrelevant. I've been making huge strides with power isolation and scrubbing the USB chain, to the point where I'm hearing the best I've ever heard from my set up. Still more to do, but damn, things sound good.

Once things settle, I'll go back and test various server and end point configurations again. If I've done all I can do on the digital signal integrity side, I'm hopeful that I won't hear any difference in the digital signal source (it will be a good test actually)

For the less adventurous, optical is fantastic SQ/hassle ratio (amazing actually...the optical input to the HMS is a gift). Get a Chromecast Audio, run it off WiFi off battery as a Roon end point, connect it via optical to the HMS, and sit back to enjoy the best you've ever heard your system. If you want more (and you may once you hear what you hear), be prepared to descend into the rabbit hole and embrace the acid-induced non-sensical digital/electrical/RF reality you find there (Cheshire cats and all) (and yes, I'm waiting for @dmance to eat his USB cable :wink:

Mar 19, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #6,113 of 18,483
How does it look like? Can buy it off the shelf?

Thanks!
I use the Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium.

It's about $600 USD online everywhere. Or buy the heavier sealed lead acid variants for much less. So either tap off the 12v supply directly or use the HMS factory power supply with the Yeti'' AC.

If you plug ALL your digital side inputs into a battery you're stopping RF noise from getting back into the wall and then finding it's way to your DAC. ...even past your conditioners and isolation transformers.

An optical bridge on DX then stops RF from getting to your DAC along the signal path. Then all you have to worry about is having absolutely clean power to your DAC uncontaminated from other usual suspects of household RF noise.

A battery on digital combined with optically isolated DX to a DAC with highly filtered and regulated power is about the best you can do.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #6,115 of 18,483
That's a big ass laptop!! :wink:

Kidding aside, snag a used Chromecast Audio for $30 and combine it with Roon.

Agree. It's an amazing combo. Especially via Ethernet and with a good power supply (both improvements).

I'm still waiting for my NUC to arrive but am looking forward to seeing how that compares (audiolinux / toslink). It'll have to be pretty special to beat Chromecast / Roon though.

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #6,116 of 18,483
[QUOTE="ray-dude, post: 14844668, member: 565"

For the less adventurous, optical is fantastic SQ/hassle ratio (amazing actually...the optical input to the HMS is a gift). Get a Chromecast Audio, run it off WiFi off battery as a Roon end point, connect it via optical to the HMS, and sit back to enjoy the best you've ever heard your system. If you want more (and you may once you hear what you hear), be prepared to descend into the rabbit hole and embrace the acid-induced non-sensical digital/electrical/RF reality you find there (Cheshire cats and all) (and yes, I'm waiting for @dmance to eat his USB cable :wink:[/QUOTE]

I did try a chromecast into my tt2, and whilst it could not quite match my SOtM Ultra/SPS 500/Inakustik ref. usb cable, it was not unduly embarrassed. Is it chromecast with battery into HMS - rather than into tt2 - that makes the difference ? Please say yes Dr Oppenheimer, and then I'll trade the SOtM kit against an HMS.

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #6,117 of 18,483
The nuc crew.

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #6,118 of 18,483
I did try a chromecast into my tt2, and whilst it could not quite match my SOtM Ultra/SPS 500/Inakustik ref. usb cable, it was not unduly embarrassed. Is it chromecast with battery into HMS - rather than into tt2 - that makes the difference ? Please say yes Dr Oppenheimer, and then I'll trade the SOtM kit against an HMS.

I prefer my NUC/Lush^2/ISO Regen/LPS1.2 (USB) chain to my Chromecast Audio (optical) into HMS, but I’m sort of obsessive about squeezing every bit of SQ to be had.

Personally, I’d want both the SOtM kit and the HMS, but if I had to make a choice, I’d go HMS. The HMS is plain transformative and takes music reproduction to a completely different level (for me). Can you track down a loaner HMS for an in home eval?

That being said, the hassle factor and cost of the CA is WAY less, for those that haven’t tried it, I recommend grabbing one for $30 on eBay and adding a $9 toslink cable from Amazon and give it a listen yourself. Everyone’s system and environment and ear reacts differently to noise. It is a very inexpensive way to see how much of a difference noise management makes for you

(Reminder: Chromecast Audio sounds horrible via Chromecast, but sounds amazing via Roon. You’re also not able to play high res content without down sampling. Not end game by any means, but very respectable)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #6,119 of 18,483
I prefer my NUC/Lush^2/ISO Regen/LPS1.2 (USB) chain to my Chromecast Audio (optical) into HMS, but I’m sort of obsessive about squeezing every bit of SQ to be had.

Personally, I’d want both the SOtM kit and the HMS, but if I had to make a choice, I’d go HMS. The HMS is plain transformative and takes music reproduction to a completely different level (for me). Can you track down a loaner HMS for an in home eval?

That being said, the hassle factor and cost of the CA is WAY less, for those that haven’t tried it, I recommend grabbing one for $30 on eBay and adding a $9 toslink cable from Amazon and give it a listen yourself. Everyone’s system and environment and ear reacts differently to noise. It is a very inexpensive way to see how much of a difference noise management makes for you

(Reminder: Chromecast Audio sounds horrible via Chromecast, but sounds amazing via Roon. You’re also not able to play high res content without down sampling. Not end game by any means, but very respectable)

With regards to Chromecast Audio, it’s “96khz” capable, but only use if you like missing 3/4’s of each track. As you said, let Roon downsample to 88.2, 48 and 44.1khz. Why google hasn’t fixed this yet is What, maybe thats why they are discontinuing this model, maybe they’ve realised that it cannot be fixed ? But don’t worry, Chromecast Audio 2 will fix it for us.

Mar 19, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #6,120 of 18,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back