Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 4, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #5,898 of 18,478
This one time at band camp.....

Suffice to say, the words red, light and district are involved.

tenor.gif

TOTL :)
This is aviation and
Sexist.
What costs 200 ?
The special Black Dragon dual BNC to mini coax adapter plug. It is described as
$200 for the Moon
What costs 200 ?
The Moon Audio dual BNC to mini coax for HMS to HUGO2 boast better quality than the Audioquest adapter “The Black Dragon uses a miniature 75 ohm cable geometry based on RG179 specifications. It uses a silver-plated copper 7 strand conductor, and a 100% coverage silver-plated copper shield. Both are 99.99% silver over 99.999% oxygen free slow drawn copper. The wire is soldered to the connectors with Cardas silver solder and it is then covered in 1 layer of Techflex braid to protect the geometry integrity of the cable. We do recommend a 40 hour break-in time for the cable to truly realize the optimum sound.”

Black dragon spewing snake oil to fuel its fire breath?? Perhaps it improves transmission for fewer drop outs. Has anyone done a comparison or review? 40 hours to break in a data cable? So it’s sounds much better after break in??

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #5,899 of 18,478
Not what I wanted to see after dinner!! @Amberlamps any more posts like that and I'll have to post some more stuff about my (crazy making) latency experiments :wink:

It’s cool, I read and like ray-dude’s posts.

Please keep up your experiment posts, seriously, your posts do contain alot of good info’s, thats info’s with an ‘s.

Which is better than info’s without the ‘s.

I do like to read them :wink:

:wink:

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #5,901 of 18,478
Ya I was leaning in that direction - thanks !

I'm waiting for the Audio Bacon review of the M-Scaler before taking the final plunge. I think they are planning to compare optical vs USB.

My current dilemma is whether to get the Innous Zen Mini with optical out - $1800 or the Zenith MK3 with USB out - $4500ish or something like the Astell & Kern SP1000 with optical out.

The server landscape is progressing too quickly for me to spend a lot of cash on one and have it outdone a few weeks later by a cheaper solution.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #5,902 of 18,478
I’d enjoy hearing more about your experience w M scaler. I appreciate the subjective language.

Hi Peter,

I'm constantly surprised by the variability in audio reproduction. Digitisation, digital source formats, audio servers, network hardware, DACS, amplification, analogue cables and headphones seem to be able to contaminate the reproduction of sound in some form or another. Sometimes this seems to be in a loss of detail / precision, sometimes the addition of unwanted elements that cause stress when listening (RFI seems to be a prime culprit here). I've been experimenting with different combinations of equipment over the past 20 years trying to get a mix that works for my ears and music choices. Mscaler ownership has taken my enjoyment of my music to another level. I am still pursuing RFI elimination. I am still looking for the elusive next step in headphones (HD800 & Aeon Flow Closed are my current companions). My Hugo 2 still sounds like a Hugo 2, the bass isn't deeper, the treble hasn't changed. What mscaler has provided is an integrity to the music reproduction that is at once relaxing and feels honest (sorry - trying to think of better words). Whereas different headphones, DACs and cables (lol) are generally agreed to have different sound signatures and behaviours, mscaler is in a different category IMO - it provides a digital source for my Hugo 2 that allows me to enjoy my music without artificial tension and with the ability to pick up audio cues around spacial awareness. I no longer have the itch that stops me listening. Everything feels right.

I heard the mscaler difference after a couple of hours of listening but after 5 months I find it hard to listen to other music sources for anything other than a brief period. I listen on full 1m taps all of the time (there is a big jump in SQ from Green to Blue and again from Blue to White). When I'm out and about I tend to listen to voice podcasts and wait until I get home to listen to music. And I'm listening to a lot more music with mscaler.... I told my dealer that I'm reaching the end of my search (who am I kidding - I'd be very interested in a new RW digital amp with hp out :wink:). He wasn't happy.

Ade

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #5,903 of 18,478
Thanks Ade. Great post—your choice of wording makes your experience well communicated.

You describe the way I felt listening to Mojo. After a few months, I did not listen to music from the iPhone on the treadmill without mojo. It sounded lifeless.

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #5,904 of 18,478
Hi_Fi_World_April_2019.jpg

"One million being bigger than 93,000, M Scaler sort-of out shone Chord Electronics new Hugo TT2 DAC – see our review on p18. In practice it is a supplemental filter for it (and other DACs), Even though Hugo TT2’s 93,000 tap filter might not match M Scaler it still easily outruns all other DACs, giving a massively impressive sound – as well as unbeatable measured performance"

Finally a magazine review of the HMS and Hugo TT2, I'm sure its going to be 5 stars for both

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #5,905 of 18,478
The review is available on the Chord website https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugott2/ in the Downloads section of the above page. I am mystified that the reviewer operated the TT2 in Hi Gain whilst in Amp mode connected to the Creek amplifier. My undertanding was that Hi Gain was for inefficient headphones only and would likely cause distortion when driving speakers via a power amp. This was confirmed by Chord a couple of months ago when i spoke to them.
Perhaps @Rob Watts could comment..

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #5,906 of 18,478
For those who found the dropout problem paring HMS with Dave, you should try to turn on HMS first before the Dave. Doing this solved the problem for me.
My setup is NUC > HMS > Dave > Pre > Power > Speakers. I also did not use the stock BNC cables and was so panic if I have to send the Dave to service but now the problem is gone.

And I would like to mention that connecting HMS>Dave as Pre to Power amp with the White OP SR really increase to noise floor. I heard distortion noise came out of my speakers.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #5,907 of 18,478
For those who found the dropout problem paring HMS with Dave, you should try to turn on HMS first before the Dave. Doing this solved the problem for me.
My setup is NUC > HMS > Dave > Pre > Power > Speakers. I also did not use the stock BNC cables and was so panic if I have to send the Dave to service but now the problem is gone.
So if 1 million taps can be achieved with TT2 and Mscaler, what advantage does the DAVE plus HMS have over the TT2 plus HMS?

Mar 5, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #5,908 of 18,478
So if 1 million taps can be achieved with TT2 and Mscaler, what advantage does the DAVE plus HMS have over the TT2 plus HMS?

Dave + MScaler is quite a bit more transparent that TT2 + MScaler.

This is from personal experience as I have both but I also recollect RW saying that he was surprised at how much better Dave is than TT2 because he thought the gap would be smaller.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #5,910 of 18,478

Believe me every component sounds differently. For example, I owned Qutest and Hugo 2, those 2 claim to be using the same technology but they sound really different even the tech data said the tab amount is equal. The same goes for HMS and Blu mk2, they sound different. And also the TT2 and Dave even if using M scaler made them go beyond 1M tabs, they also sound different. One reason I can guarantee is that the power supply made them sound differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back