Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 10, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #4,186 of 18,495
Nearly the same yes but the girls think im 29 still.....:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Can you elaborate on the difference (if there is one) between passthru and solo h2? i'm interested in this. i wondered if the difference was due to being accustomed to usb/optical input on solo h2 and now with coax input on passthru it could sound noticeably different to usb/optical with solo h2? just a theory.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #4,187 of 18,495
Nearly the same yes but the girls think im 29 still.....:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Can you elaborate on the difference between passthru and solo h2? i'm interested in this.

Not much to elaborate on, to me, passthrough takes the edge off hugo’s brightness, it also sounds warmer, if I recall correctly. Thats in my opinion.

The main part of my test was not about passthrough, it was about hugo on its own compared to hugo+mscaler+upscaling, and the result of it was, I could not go back to using hugo on it’s own now. I would always want the mscaler in the mix.

Hugo on it’s own surprised me, as it was far too bright for me when i did the test, and it was instantly noticeable. Also the lack of seperation of different sounds on tracks was also obvious. Before I got my mscaler, I thought hugo 2 did an excellent job, but the addition of the mscaler just brings things to another level.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #4,188 of 18,495
I listened to dave solo and hms/tt2 a short while back. the hms/tt2 has a heavier sound than dave but tt2 is more refined like champagne to h2 which is beer. the musicality of tt2/hms is electric but the dave solo actually reminded of a stax rig i once heard and dave is so invisible once the music plays. the build quality on the silver demo dave i tried blows h2 and tt2 out of the water. it really is another level of existence. i want to find a way to get one by the summer. it's also much larger in real life a true hifi component of noticeable size.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #4,189 of 18,495
I listened to dave solo and hms/tt2 a short while back. the hms/tt2 has a heavier sound than dave but tt2 is more refined like champagne to h2 which is beer. the musicality of tt2/hms is electric but the dave solo actually reminded of a stax rig i once heard and dave is so invisible once the music plays. the build quality on the silver demo dave i tried blows h2 and tt2 out of the water. it really is another level of existence. i want to find a way to get one by the summer. it's also much larger in real life a true hifi component of noticeable size.

My tt2 is arriving hopefully this week, ordered it november 5th i think and was quoted 3-4 weeks, so fingers crossed that it arrives. I was offered a new dave for 6k or theresbouts, i cant recall the exact price but i will be happy with tt2 and hms, and if a new dave comes out next year, i can trade them in for one.

I’ve never heard a dave or any other chord product except for the ones i own, mojo, poly, h2 and hms, as there is no chord delear close to me to demo stuff, so i’m buying blind. I just dont want to be drawn into a yearly £10k buying spree, like i did this year.

Maybe one day i might pick one up ?

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #4,190 of 18,495
new dave 6k? is that nearly new from a private seller?

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #4,191 of 18,495
new dave 6k? is that nearly new from a private seller?

Brand new, I asked a store how much a dave and blu 2 was, 12k he said, I then asked about dave on it’s own and it was 6k. Cash is king, only until brexit day in march, then we will all be panning for gold.

Chord dealers are getting a huge mark up when it comes to selling the more expensive chord products. Never ever pay the asking price.

If you never ask if there is the possibility of a deal, you will never know, plus whats the worst that they can do, tell you no, the price is firm. All stores will give you a deal if you ask for one.

If possible, spend your money on local hifi stores that are being overrun by stores that have branches all over the place. Looking at you richer sounds and peter tysons.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #4,192 of 18,495
Hmmm.. I'll take a listen I really like good movie soundtracks... I own Superman, Gladiator, Inception, soundtracks and really like them...
I am listening to it now on Tidal, this is a great sounding one!

I really like soundtracks as well, some of my favourite music.

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #4,193 of 18,495
Listening to "listen to the ahmad jamal quintet" on roon released 1961. the hms really does something "else" with these pre dolby recordings. it's really incredible the acoustics of a live room performance is spot on. i'm really not getting this master tape flavour on recordings of the last 20 years or if i do it's rare that i do. with early 60's jazz recordings and hms there is no veil. nice headphones too. i'm hearing things i've never heard before. I learnt today in my mscaler studies that it excels above all else in PRAT. To understand the mscaler one has to go beyond the casual oh it sounds better mentality. The mscaler in relation to the true tempo and pace of a track is a relationship like no other. I'm hearing a very natural flow with 1M taps with passthru these timing elements were totally invisible. The overall result with hms is one which triggers musical reflection. With pass thru essential timing information is non existent with hms this information become clearly visible yes visible and not just audible.

R-2277297-1290753709.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #4,194 of 18,495
I would also like these speakers, not sure if they need proper room placement or need to kept away from the wall. My listening room is tiny, so be cool to find transparent efficient monitors that could be placed against a wall or on a desk even.
I do not have loudspeakers that can compare with my FU headphones but have noted Omega speakers as a possibility. Would then need to switch from my Hugo 2, which I am very pleased with, and go for TT2 - a costly operation. Might wait for the DX amplifier. The FU has given me confidence with Focal, some of their mid size speakers could fill the bill but I need to listen to alternatives befire making a decision.

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #4,195 of 18,495
My living room setup is 3m. The near field magic is at ~1m (say, if you're sitting at a desk). At 3m, you need to pay attention to room placement, but the holographic sound stage when driven direct is mind blowing. From the experiences of people that have been over to the house, I've found that those of us with brains tuned to the Chord magic, these Omegas (and high efficiency single driver speakers) are like heroin: ultimate point source, ultimate transparency when driven direct.

I'm enough of a junkie now that I made the jump to the 104dB sensitivity Voxativ drivers, but what Louis has with the Omegas is amazing. For those that are atuned to the timing detail and transparency of the Chord stack, I think the combination of Omega SAMs with mTT2 or mDAVE or mHugo2 is a world class music listening experience at an amazing low cost point.

Well worth a demo (Louis has very easy home demo terms, and is an absolute delight of a person to work with)
Very informative! Thank you!

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #4,196 of 18,495
Arrival soundtrack by Jóhann Jóhannsson is amazing, it's currently on my playlist:

He also did the soundtrack for Sicario, the soundtrack gripped me on the movie too:

Sadly Jóhann passed away earlier this year, he was only 48, a great loss.

I did not know that, do you know from what? I'll have to give Sicario a listen

Hmmm.. I'll take a listen I really like good movie soundtracks... I own Superman, Gladiator, Inception, soundtracks and really like them...
Ah, another soundtrack fan!

On topic, Hans Zimmer Interstellar soundtrack "Mountains" on Qutest finally isn't distorted during the choir portion. I look forward to mScaler combo to hear if organ distortion goes away.

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #4,197 of 18,495
Arrival soundtrack by Jóhann Jóhannsson is amazing, it's currently on my playlist:

The Arrival soundtrack, at least on Qobuz, is a 48kHz encoded album. So this album, among others, shows up the major snag when you set the M Scaler's Video Mode button to automatic.

The automatic mode -- which looks for a 48kHz signal, according to the manual -- forces the Video Mode to go from yellow (music, auto) to blue (video, auto) when I play any MUSIC file that's 48kHz...even though it's a music-only system.

The snag is easy enough to solve, since I simply leave the Video Mode button off (black). So this post is mainly a caveat for those who want to use the automatic setting for Video Mode -- it does not work properly for 48kHz music.

If my experience has another solution, please let us know.

Dave, who has questions about some of the other HMS settings since its somewhat barebones 1.0 manual doesn't fully describe several HMS features

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #4,198 of 18,495
In the pursuit of the most intoxicating blissful musical experience one has to employ a "cost no object" frame of mind. i've gone from a yulong u100 to a hugo2/hms it's fantastic.:sunglasses:

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #4,200 of 18,495
if it were real we would have diverted them before they entered the mesosphere friendly or not. it's already planned for. assume hostile under all conditions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back