Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 10, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #4,201 of 18,412
Listening to "listen to the ahmad jamal quintet" on roon released 1961. the hms really does something "else" with these pre dolby recordings. it's really incredible the acoustics of a live room performance is spot on. i'm really not getting this master tape flavour on recordings of the last 20 years or if i do it's rare that i do. with early 60's jazz recordings and hms there is no veil. nice headphones too. i'm hearing things i've never heard before. I learnt today in my mscaler studies that it excels above all else in PRAT. To understand the mscaler one has to go beyond the casual oh it sounds better mentality. The mscaler in relation to the true tempo and pace of a track is a relationship like no other. I'm hearing a very natural flow with 1M taps with passthru these timing elements were totally invisible. The overall result with hms is one which triggers musical reflection. With pass thru essential timing information is non existent with hms this information become clearly visible yes visible and not just audible.

R-2277297-1290753709.jpeg.jpg
Excuse me, what does the abbreviation PRAT stand for?

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #4,202 of 18,412
Pace, rhythm, and timing.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #4,203 of 18,412
-
Listening to "listen to the ahmad jamal quintet" on roon released 1961. the hms really does something "else" with these pre dolby recordings. it's really incredible the acoustics of a live room performance is spot on. i'm really not getting this master tape flavour on recordings of the last 20 years or if i do it's rare that i do. with early 60's jazz recordings and hms there is no veil. nice headphones too. i'm hearing things i've never heard before. I learnt today in my mscaler studies that it excels above all else in PRAT. To understand the mscaler one has to go beyond the casual oh it sounds better mentality. The mscaler in relation to the true tempo and pace of a track is a relationship like no other. I'm hearing a very natural flow with 1M taps with passthru these timing elements were totally invisible. The overall result with hms is one which triggers musical reflection. With pass thru essential timing information is non existent with hms this information become clearly visible yes visible and not just audible.

R-2277297-1290753709.jpeg.jpg

Pace, rhythm, and timing.

Hmmn, sorry but I am not quite sure about this recording. To my ears the PRAT on the album also includes pitch variation (wow/flutter) noticeable on the sustained guitar notes. All IMO of course and with my ears but I find it difficult to ignore this but I do agree that some parts are a time machine back to the performance.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #4,204 of 18,412
My ears are not as discerning as yours as i only have around 2 years through hi quality gear. it's enjoyable for what it is anyway. i just looked up wow/flutter interesting.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #4,205 of 18,412
if it were real we would have diverted them before they entered the mesosphere friendly or not. it's already planned for. assume hostile under all conditions.

The track "Heptapod B" my favorite and hopefully I will be able to use as audition track for mScaler is during film when explanation is given about "where they came from." Note they "appeared" no warning, no entry, chuckle...

Can you imagine if an extraterrestrial showed up what their "mSCaler" would sound like.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #4,206 of 18,412
My tt2 is arriving hopefully this week, ordered it november 5th i think and was quoted 3-4 weeks, so fingers crossed that it arrives. I was offered a new dave for 6k or theresbouts, i cant recall the exact price but i will be happy with tt2 and hms, and if a new dave comes out next year, i can trade them in for one.

I’ve never heard a dave or any other chord product except for the ones i own, mojo, poly, h2 and hms, as there is no chord delear close to me to demo stuff, so i’m buying blind. I just dont want to be drawn into a yearly £10k buying spree, like i did this year.

Maybe one day i might pick one up ?

You were offered a DAVE for 6K is the US dollars ?... and didn't take it? Wow... there is no NEW dave coming out next year or for the next couple of years... for your awareness....

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #4,207 of 18,412
I did not know that, do you know from what? I'll have to give Sicario a listen

Ah, another soundtrack fan!

On topic, Hans Zimmer Interstellar soundtrack "Mountains" on Qutest finally isn't distorted during the choir portion. I look forward to mScaler combo to hear if organ distortion goes away.

Hanz Zimmer produces a lot of awesome stuff.... I found that movie a bit strange....

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #4,208 of 18,412
The track "Heptapod B" my favorite and hopefully I will be able to use as audition track for mScaler is during film when explanation is given about "where they came from." Note they "appeared" no warning, no entry, chuckle...

Can you imagine if an extraterrestrial showed up what their "mSCaler" would sound like.
That was my favourite too. I will add it to the tracks I use for comparing equipment.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #4,209 of 18,412
... Arrival soundtrack by Jóhann Jóhannsson, thanks for the tip! Sounds really great from HMS>Dave>Susvara. When listening to it, I suddenly recalled one my favourite sountracks that I have not heard for a long time:

Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in) by Johan Söderqvist. And the first track is called The Arrival :) So I am not sure what my association is based on but I can recommend this one as well, though it is not so energetic but slow and emotional:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/34309904

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #4,210 of 18,412
Music by John Williams on roon while we're on the theme. Excellent and atmospheric. I enjoyed it with all the lights off. I had to pause it at one point just to check there were no unwanted visitors entering my room. :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #4,212 of 18,412
... Arrival soundtrack by Jóhann Jóhannsson, thanks for the tip! Sounds really great from HMS>Dave>Susvara. When listening to it, I suddenly recalled one my favourite sountracks that I have not heard for a long time:

Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in) by Johan Söderqvist. And the first track is called The Arrival :) So I am not sure what my association is based on but I can recommend this one as well, though it is not so energetic but slow and emotional:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/34309904
Nice set up you have, totally out of my budget but glad ppl out there can

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #4,215 of 18,412
You were offered a DAVE for 6K is the US dollars ?... and didn't take it? Wow... there is no NEW dave coming out next year or for the next couple of years... for your awareness....

6k in real money, not monopoly money aka $

Regardless if dave 2 came out yesterday or 5 years from now, I decide how to spend my money, afterall there is more to life than bloody dacs, you know, schiit like cars, houses etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back