Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 17, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #3,196 of 18,478
the problem may well be your source...i went 18 months without drop outs then changed my laptop to a new macbook pro with mojave which it seems causes noise and drop outs...my old mac with high sierra did not do this...i bought a roon nucleus server and thus far have not yet experienced a drop out...i have dave/blu2
Can you describe the noise part of your issue? I just upgraded to Mojave and there's already been three OS updates.

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #3,198 of 18,478
i used roon with my laptop for 2 years and never had a drop out...about 6 weeks ago i bought a new laptop using mojave and suddenly i began to have cut outs or drop outs while listening to music with my dave/blu2....at first the new mojave didnt dawn on me as the potential problem and i began trying new cables,changing inputs etc....it was driving me crazy until one day i decided to go back to my old laptop which was using high sierra and suddenly i had no cut outs once again.....i went back to the new laptop and again experienced the cut outs...they would be sporadic but consistent.....i spoke to several people at the audio show in nyc this past weekend and they told me mojave has been causing issues for lots of people regarding music playback....my personal solution was to go out and purchase a roon nucleus to use instead of the laptop and i have not had a cut out since i installed it 3 weeks ago....i do not know what the issue with mojave is or if it is something related to the interworking of the laptop and mojave etc....i know everything is the same on old and new laptop other than mojave because i migrated everything over using the time machine....so far the roon nucleus has been more convenient,worked flawlessly and sounds better...at a price sadly though...nothing is free!

If you do not have the problem then obviously it is a non issue for you

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #3,199 of 18,478
Copy of what I have replied to your same questions in the Dave thread.
I was talking (proper talking on the phone) to someone this week who was having drop outs with his Dave and we have sort of come to the conclusion that it might be slightly loose bnc connections rather than an issue as such with Dave. He had decided that because he could wedge the cables in a certain place and stop the drop outs.

I have a Blu2 and MScaler and do not get any drop outs no matter how hard I wiggle the cables at either the Dave end or the other end. In fact I have never had a single drop out despite using the Blu2 and MScaler since they were first available. I know you seem to be concluding that your drop outs are not to do with the BNC connections and are somehow related to the USB input but I just wonder if you have a less than perfect electrical connection within the BNC connectors (drop outs if you wiggle them) then perhaps the connection is not good enough to sustain the dual BNC protocol.
HI Mikey - Promise to omit the "F" word here... So, how would you characterize the sound stage and presentation between the Blu and HMS?. Seems to me that the Blu would win out with the transport and a tie with other sources?

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #3,201 of 18,478
If anyone suspects BNC connections as being a culprit for dropouts, you can try a contact enhancer like Stabilant 22A. Its used mainly for electronics - edge connectors, dip socketed IC's etc. Works really well, IMO for interconnects and speaker connections. And reasonably priced. I don't yet have an HMS to see it I get dropouts or if this will help.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #3,203 of 18,478
Here in the US , 1st shipment of HMS arriving next week.
So, for those in floating rarified air having heard the BluMKT2, how does the m-scaler compare- both with and w/out Blu's transport? Those with a DAVE, shout out too?
Also heard the included HMS BnC's are a notch better? Looks like the ferrite roar has calmed down ..

thank you !
Mike

Mike, there are some basic facts of life I need to explain in answer to your question but I need to use the f word to describe them to you so I will PM.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #3,204 of 18,478
To connect hugo 2 to mscaler, you need that adapter pictured, and also “2 female bnc to male rca” adapters also.

Those adapter will fit on the bnc cables that come in the mscalers box, once attached, you can then connect the cables to your audio quest rca adapter pictured.

For 1 million taps on the mscaler, select coax 2 on hugo 2’s remote, and on mscaler, select usb on the remote.

Thanks

How will I know from any indicators that I am in fact getting the full 1 million taps?
I

You used the f-word!

The included HMS BNCs seem quite basic. I had to replace mine due to a poor connection with the first pair.
What did you replace them with?

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #3,205 of 18,478
For those of you with drop outs, here’s a post of Robs from a while back concerning drop outs, USB, galvanic isolation and different parts of the world. Maybe, just maybe, there are some residual possibilities why you might get them. (Also some remarks about the f-things).

.. On my Blu2 prototypes, the USB input sounded the same as an optical receiver I had added. So it seemed clear that galvanic isolation on USB was not needed as the BNC op is also galvanically isolated. But something odd happened with the Hugo M scaler - with the early prototypes of TT2 (nearly a year ago) and when I was in the USA or Japan on some days I would hear drop-outs. But these drop-outs never happened with the optical outputs on my lap-top, just the USB. And it never happened back at home in Wales. And oddly it never happened with Hugo 2 or Dave... There was something weird about the grounding outside the UK, and with TT2 and the M scaler (Blu2 was fine as well with TT2). So the last prototype had galvanic isolation added on the USB, and this eliminated the TT2 drop-out issue. Hugo M scaler actually had 3 different prototypes, and took a long time to test and ensure the best performance possible. On paper the development looks simple; just cut-out the M scaler from Blu 2 and drop it into a new chassis, but the reality was it took a lot of effort to perfect.

.. ferrites have actually been added into the driver and isolation circuitry directly. I went to crazy lengths to improve the isolation at 2 GHz - and oddly, adding ferrites on the BNC cables actually makes it sound slightly worse (oddly a bit brighter with them). But the intent is to make it easy to use without spending silly money on cables or having to add ferrites, and this I have succeeded.

.. Ferrites just improve the isolation, and if the isolation is good enough, adding more isolation won't help!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831343/page-266#post-14374158

I don’t have drop out issues, but it’s worth saying you should avoid stressing the BNC cables, or connector, and avoid sharp turns.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #3,206 of 18,478
For those of you with drop outs, here’s a post of Robs from a while back concerning drop outs, USB, galvanic isolation and different parts of the world. Maybe, just maybe, there are some residual possibilities why you might get them. (Also some remarks about the f-things).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831343/page-266#post-14374158

I don’t have drop out issues, but it’s worth saying you should avoid stressing the BNC cables, or connector, and avoid sharp turns.

Funny, I was just about to post about the drop-outs (pauses) I'm getting on the 705khz dual BNC connection between my HMS and my Dave.

I've fiddled a couple of times with the stock BNC cables, removing and restoring the connection. And I've changed the Dave BNC inputs from 1&2 to 3&4, and back again. All to no avail.

Single BNC (352 khz) works fine.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #3,207 of 18,478
Drop-outs and distortion, I should add. Not crazy, ear-splitting distortion, but just a bit of spitty noise.

Any tips welcome. I'm failing to see what I have done wrong. I can't fiddle any more than I already have done with the BMC cables. Not enjoying my first weekend with my HMS!

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #3,208 of 18,478
Thanks

How will I know from any indicators that I am in fact getting the full 1 million taps?

What did you replace them with?

The input and op sr balls will be white, thats when you know 1million taps are being used.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #3,209 of 18,478
Drop-outs and distortion, I should add. Not crazy, ear-splitting distortion, but just a bit of spitty noise.

Any tips welcome. I'm failing to see what I have done wrong. I can't fiddle any more than I already have done with the BMC cables. Not enjoying my first weekend with my HMS!

FIxed. Thanks to Jawed for the offline tip.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #3,210 of 18,478
Funny, I was just about to post about the drop-outs (pauses) I'm getting on the 705khz dual BNC connection between my HMS and my Dave.

I've fiddled a couple of times with the stock BNC cables, removing and restoring the connection. And I've changed the Dave BNC inputs from 1&2 to 3&4, and back again. All to no avail.

Single BNC (352 khz) works fine.
I had this until I got replacement cables. They were the same type, Chord was quick about replacing them (working through my dealer). I wonder about the quality of the stock cables, this seems to be happening a lot. It has worked perfectly since I got the new cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back