Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 21, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #3,976 of 4,904
So this new M-Scaler has its own volume control? I wonder how this interacts with the DAVE volume control...
Or is this volume control active when DAVE is in DAC-only mode?

(I didn't see anything about a volume control on the audiobacon page that was linked to earlier.)

I was still on the fence about getting a Blu2, but now I think this new box will definitely be on my to-do list. This is great. Thanks Chord.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #3,978 of 4,904
I'm in London this weekend attending CanJam and I'm dealing with a bit of jet lag at the moment and am finding it difficult to sleep. With idle time on my hands as I wait for my sleeping pill to kick in, I thought I'd post some impressions about Hugo M-Scaler (HMS). At some point soon, I'm told Chord will start an official HMS thread but I'm not sure if and when I'll post again and so consider this a "one off" although I may drop in from time to time if I feel I have something useful to contribute and if time (and my wife) allows.

Back in March, when Rob visited me at my home in California, I mentioned in my long post that he had brought along a few prototypes. I wasn't allowed to discuss them at that time but what he brought with him were prototypes of TT2 and HMS. Along with Jay, chief reviewer for Audiobacon.net, we did a lot of listening and comparing but our listening was limited to speakers only -- specifically, my pair of Martin Logan Renaissance 15A electrostats.

Because I already owned a Blu Mk2, I wasn't that shocked by the improvement HMS brought and quite frankly, I was more surprised by how well TT2 directly drove my giant pair of Martin Logans. While ultimately, my 700wpc (into 4 ohms) Pass Labs X350.8 played louder, TT2 directly driving my Renaissance sounded just as dynamic and much much more transparent. The increased speed, detail, and depth were incredible and for music playback, the TT2 by itself was capable of powering my Renaissance to satisfyingly loud levels, as loud as any of us cared to listen. Rob attributed this to the very robust current output of the ultracapacitors built into TT2's power supply. It was one of those moments where I had to hear it to believe it and it was my first real taste of what Rob's upcoming DX amps will sound like driving big speakers.

This weekend, I got my first chance to listen to a production version of TT2 driving a variety of headphones and shortly after 13:00 (London time), I got my first chance to experience TT2 with HMS driving headphones.

20180721_182058.jpg

To give you some perspective of its size, here is a photo of Rob holding HMS that I shot for Jay's website (audiobacon.net):

20180721_093743.jpg

Not what I would call "fit in your pocket" portable but Rob tells me he now travels with HMS in his carry on and listens to it paired with Hugo2 on airplanes "because I can" since HMS can be externally battery driven (12-15VDC). On that note, TT2 can also be battery driven (12-15VDC) resulting in the most resolving and powerful portable headphone front end in the world.

Tomorrow, hopefully, I will have the opportunity to listen to more headphones on TT2/HMS including the demanding HiFiMan Susvara and Abyss Phi CC but even with the more efficient headphones that I had on hand today including the HEK V2, Focal Utopias, Audeze LCD-X, and Meze 99 Classics, I was impressed by the incredible authority and dynamic drive of TT2/HMS but not at the expense of elegance, poise and balance. This is now muscle amp territory but with greater refinement and without the fatiguing harshness or heavy handed bluntness associated with many brute force amps. Rob's DACs have never lacked for transient speed but with TT2, you now get a tremendous uplift in transient power. This was no more evident than when listening to the sharp, piercing physicality of a trumpet being blown or a drum being aggressively struck.

How did TT2/HMS compare against BluDAVE that conveniently sat beside it? Because DAVE is starting from a higher TAP count than TT2, M-scaler brings about a seemingly more dramatic impact on TT2 than DAVE upon first listen, however, upon careful A/B, even though both DAVE and TT2 were both operating at 1M TAPS, compared against DAVE, TT2 sounded more closed in and more shallow and these differences were not subtle. It's clear DAVE's 20-element design still trumps TT2's 10-element design as far as transparency is concerned and this was just as evident when he brought his TT2 prototype to my home a few months ago, however, if I am to be honest, because of TT2's better dynamic drive, I actually preferred TT2/HSM for certain headphones with certain types of music. We'll see how I feel when I get this pairing in my home but without question, I will be buying a TT2/HMS combo for my listening room in my home office and will probably find myself listening more to headphones again. I cannot recall ever enjoying listening to a pair of HEKs more than I did today.

How did HMS compare against the M-scaler in Blu2? I hope to do more careful A/B comparisons tomorrow but to my ears, HMS sounds a bit better. According to Rob, this is "because it is better" and he attributes this to the better isolation built into HMS. Do ferrites no longer matter? During our testing of the HMS prototype a few months back, I posted that we were all surprised (Rob included) to find that ferrites actually resulted in worse sound quality and while Rob, Jay, and I didn't always agree on what we preferred, as far as ferrites sounding worse, we were all unanimously in agreement on this one. Of course, there is an explanation for this but Rob has asked that I not discuss those details at this time. Does this mean the quality of BNC cables will no longer matter? Most know I firmly believe that cables do matter and it's not just about noise and so time will tell, however, I do believe cables will definitely matter less. When I first got my Blu2, I posted that I had problems with an irritating harshness with the "el cheapo" BNC cables that came with my Blu2. I appreciated no such harshness with these same "el cheapo" BNCs today which is a very good sign.

20180721_182030.jpg

As for why Rob galvanically isolated HMS's USB input, he did it because he was getting dropouts and galvanically isolating the USB input cured these dropouts but interestingly, he also found SQ improved even though the BNC outputs were already galvanically isolated. Hopefully, this will end talk of having to put ferrites on USB cables because that's the last thing I want to do. According to Rob, to his ears, USB and optical are now equivalent although for the purists, HMS has 2 optical (Toslink) inputs and one optical output although the optical output will limit you to 1/4 million TAPS.

What does this do for prospective Blu Mk2 buyers? If you prefer the convenience of an integrated high quality CD transport and prefer the more expensive aesthetic of the Blu Mk2's Choral chassis, then Blu Mk2 remains your best option but as I see it, for those who are more practically minded, you could get by with any inexpensive CD transport and connect to HMS via optical or BNC SPDIF.

As for price and availability, as many have already seen, MSRP is 3.5k GBP which I think is very fair considering the massive upgrade in resolution and barring an unexpected parts shortage, shipping is supposed to commence in late August (same as TT2). Exciting times for sure and I hope the world grasps what a landmark opportunity this is for all DACs.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #3,979 of 4,904
I was focused on ATC for my future plans, but then I stumbled upon Kii 3, which seems like a really serious attempt at solving classic speaker problems. It'll probably be months before I investigate properly...

I had the Kii 3s in my home for a short time and really wanted to love what they do, however, I found the DACs they use to be a significant step below any of Rob's DACs and with my Hugo2 connected to the Kii 3s analog inputs, I noticed a significant loss of detail and depth compared with my standard speaker setup. While the DSP works as advertised for shaping the bass output and while dynamics were pretty good, these speakers had a sterile and clinical quality to them. Maybe you'll like them, especially if you have an acoustically challenge room, but I really struggled with these.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #3,980 of 4,904
What does this do for prospective Blu Mk2 buyers? If you prefer the convenience of an integrated high quality CD transport and prefer the more expensive aesthetic of the Blu Mk2's Choral chassis, then Blu Mk2 remains your best option but as I see it, for those who are more practically minded, you could get by with any inexpensive CD transport and connect to HMS via optical or BNC SPDIF.

I wished Chord had a more consistent and less chaotic product design strategy. I assume many DAVE and Qutest owners are not keen on purchasing a standalone Hugo M Scaler that has a totally different physical enclosure that does not match. I would have purchased a standalone M Scaler that uses a clean, simple Choral design similar to the Étude's. Ultimately the DAVINA and Blu MK2 have no appeal because they include extraneous features. I suspect some Blu MK2 owners are upset with the release of the Hugo M Scaler which boasts some technical advantages and a lower price. Chord is running on a fine line between innovating and infuriating their loyal customers. Heaven forbid they release a DAVE successor anytime soon.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #3,981 of 4,904
Thanks, Roy, Rajiv and the host of London, Rob!! Looking forward to M-Scaler powered with my Paul Hynes SR7.
One interesting point about the TT2 vs DAVE, you could power TT2 separately??

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #3,982 of 4,904
Thanks Romaz for your insight post. Your post pisses Blu2 owners even more. More expensive but less performance. I always feel that Blu2 is a rush product without thoroughly considering the inputs. USB is a last minute rushed decision.

I have a question. In a speaker system with analog preamp, do you think TT2/HMS equal or outperforms Blu2/DAVE?

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #3,983 of 4,904
Your post pisses Blu2 owners even more
Add me to the list of pissed off owners.

I live in the real world and understand the realities we're dealing with. There is always an early adoption tax, prices typically go down over time, and new products will often leap frog their predecessors. In any other domain and with any other purchase I can easily take the "buyer beware" stance. However, in a niche market like this where there is such an unusual level of communication between producer and consumer, it's hard not to feel like some of us were just screwed (miss led). If Blu2 was further along in it's life cycle and I hadn't just waited 4 months to receive mine, I would likely feel different. That said, I would have felt different and made a different decision when placing the order if I was working with more accurate information earlier in the year.

Business is business but it's easy to forget that with the personal interaction that takes place within this community. Lesson learned…

Now playing... Color me jaded

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #3,984 of 4,904
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #3,985 of 4,904
Mm.....what I do like most about the new Mscaler with DC power (an expensive add-on?), coupled with the TT2, is the, well the DC factor: you can listen when there’s a long power outage (right after a typhoon) or when you are small tropical-island-hopping somewhere in Southeast Asia (where grid electricity is not present, thank God!).

Seriously, I am looking forward to reading listening impressions of TT2/HSM/Streamed Music vs. BluDave/CD music. New tech vs. Old tech. Let the fun begin.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #3,987 of 4,904
Eek!!! What mistreatment!!! Page 8 of manual: ALWAYS KEEP AWAY FROM SOURCES OF HEAT AND DIRECT SUNLIGHT

:)

We normally have the sun direct light shielded because of the antique table and also my veneered Spendor speakers but the photo looked a bit dull that way. Hopefully you can sleep more easily now!

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #3,988 of 4,904
A way more logical way to look at thing is that if USB galvanic isolation was not needed then they would not put it in the new Hugo M Scaler in the first place.

This is actually quite complicated to answer. On my Blu2 prototypes, the USB input sounded the same as an optical receiver I had added. So it seemed clear that galvanic isolation on USB was not needed as the BNC op is also galvanically isolated. But something odd happened with the Hugo M scaler - with the early prototypes of TT2 (nearly a year ago) and when I was in the USA or Japan on some days I would hear drop-outs. But these drop-outs never happened with the optical outputs on my lap-top, just the USB. And it never happened back at home in Wales. And oddly it never happened with Hugo 2 or Dave... There was something weird about the grounding outside the UK, and with TT2 and the M scaler (Blu2 was fine as well with TT2). So the last prototype had galvanic isolation added on the USB, and this eliminated the TT2 drop-out issue. Hugo M scaler actually had 3 different prototypes, and took a long time to test and ensure the best performance possible. On paper the development looks simple; just cut-out the M scaler from Blu 2 and drop it into a new chassis, but the reality was it took a lot of effort to perfect.

What about the optical output of the new mScaler? How does that work, exactly?

It's there really for other DAC's that can only handle 192k, or digital recorders so you can convert your 44.1 recordings to 176.4.

I think he knew about it when he worked on the Blu2. I’m waiting for his confirmation that it’s now sorted.

Yes the ferrites have actually been added into the driver and isolation circuitry directly. I went to crazy lengths to improve the isolation at 2 GHz - and oddly, adding ferrites on the BNC cables actually makes it sound slightly worse (oddly a bit brighter with them). But the intent is to make it easy to use without spending silly money on cables or having to add ferrites, and this I have succeeded.

If you eliminate RF one way or another they sound the same.

Yes absolutely! Ferrites just improve the isolation, and if the isolation is good enough, adding more isolation won't help!

Even when using dual-BNC from Blu 2 into DAVE it's possible to configure the sampling rate to be less than 16FS. So in that situation, the first stage WTA in DAVE is working. But with 16FS input, DAVE's WTA 1 is idle, as you say.

Yes. As I predicted a long time back...

I think the DX output format is different from the Dual-BNC output format. I think DX output is a single channel of audio per BNC, so that each DX amp, ("power pulse array amplifier"), gets one channel of music when using two DX amps, each in mono. Whereas Dual-BNC format, to feed DAVE or Qutest or Hugo 2, splits the data into high and low bits across the two cables. I think this is why there is a button on the front of Hugo M Scaler labelled "DX OP", to switch from one output mode to the other.

The DX output audio data is identical to the dual BNC output which is a mono transmission standard - all that happens is that volume control information is transmitted in the SPDIF user data, so the DX power amps will read that data and change the volume at a more appropriate point inside the DX power amp. This means that the full audio data is transmitted without any loss in SQ, but with the convenience of the H M scaler controlling the volume.

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #3,990 of 4,904
Yes it will work with 9v to 15v. I have used it a lot with 85W/h battery banks, and gotten more than 6 hours listening from it. I do not recommend replacing the supplied PSU with a linear PSU, as the PSU has been carefully specified for low leakage and RF noise levels - with better performance than linear PSU's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back