Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #2,476 of 18,493
Yes it is, I often use it that way on very long flights - it will power/charge Hugo 2 and M scaler together.

Cheers rob, thats good news, as my expensive pc power unit blew up about 4 weeks ago and I want to be cautious. I have had the mains checked, all ok, but I would rather run the mscaler off of batteries than the mains. If I bought this, would Chord deny my warranty if they found out I was using one and my mscaler broke ?

Anyway.

I’ve been up messing with my HD800S, they suffer from a design flaw that makes them have droopy ears, keep sliding down etc.

Took the headband off and noticed the only thing keeping the heavy speakers inplace was a tiny ball bearing, 1mm insize and the metal headband has tiny metal holes where the ballbearing falls into to keep the speakers steady and to not slide down.

That’s ok if the tension on the ball bearing is enough to not be overpowered by the weight of the actual speaker, I took a blunt piece of metal and added some more force that pushes on the ball bearing, now they are like brand new. Infact they are much better than brand new, they have never ever been this stable. Anyone with a similar problem, it’s super easy to do.

Cheers Rob.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #2,477 of 18,493
Would this adapter alone work for connecting M-scaler to Hugo2 via BNC? Screenshot_20181013-085420__01.jpg

Nov 1, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #2,478 of 18,493
Would this adapter alone work for connecting M-scaler to Hugo2 via BNC?

Yes, it’s what I use.

Just to add, you will also need female bnc to male rca adapters also, 2 of them.

You can buy them on amazon for cheap, but remember, it has to be Female BNC to Male RCA adapters.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #2,480 of 18,493
I don’t have a HMS but lived with Blu2 for over a year and have spent hours optimizing my Dave
What DAC are you using with HMS?

I’m not sure he has an HMS but he certainly has or had a Blu2.

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #2,481 of 18,493
Cheers rob, thats good news, as my expensive pc power unit blew up about 4 weeks ago and I want to be cautious. I have had the mains checked, all ok, but I would rather run the mscaler off of batteries than the mains. If I bought this, would Chord deny my warranty if they found out I was using one and my mscaler broke ?

Anyway.

I’ve been up messing with my HD800S, they suffer from a design flaw that makes them have droopy ears, keep sliding down etc.

Took the headband off and noticed the only thing keeping the heavy speakers inplace was a tiny ball bearing, 1mm insize and the metal headband has tiny metal holes where the ballbearing falls into to keep the speakers steady and to not slide down.

That’s ok if the tension on the ball bearing is enough to not be overpowered by the weight of the actual speaker, I took a blunt piece of metal and added some more force that pushes on the ball bearing, now they are like brand new. Infact they are much better than brand new, they have never ever been this stable. Anyone with a similar problem, it’s super easy to do.

Cheers Rob.

Chord would deny the warranty if the failure was down to the use of the non-supplied PSU. It is very obvious when such a failure occurs, as the protection diode fails. Set the PowerAdd to 12v, and it will be fine.

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #2,482 of 18,493
@Rob Watts, is it accurate to say that the Hugo M Scaler allows for 3dB of extra headroom (as the Blu Mk II) with respect to direct DAVE drive?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #2,483 of 18,493
Chord would deny the warranty if the failure was down to the use of the non-supplied PSU. It is very obvious when such a failure occurs, as the protection diode fails. Set the PowerAdd to 12v, and it will be fine.

Thanks Rob,

I’m keen to run it away from the mains for no other reason than to make me feel happy, as my computer psu should never of blown up, the mere fact that it did is worrying, even if the mains tested as being ok.

Anyway, your mscaler.

At first I was hmm, is this it, I didnt know what to expect, but then a few hours into it, I noticed Hugo didn’t sound as bright and sharp/clinical, it was warmer than before. Then I noticed that I had been listening to it for 6+ hours, which is amazing, as hugo normally limits me to a couple of hours at most, because I easily get fatigued and have to take off my headphones.

But there was none of that with the mscaler. I hadn’t even noticed 6+ hours had went by just like that.

Thus far I’m really enjoying it. Will let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks time once it’s settled in.

Read this as someone who does not have the best ear for noticing small changes in sound quality.

Cheers Rob

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #2,484 of 18,493
Rob, is there no headroom above 15V in the protection diode? With the supplied smps delivering 15V, what is to stop that for whatever reason delivering more than 15V on occasion and causing the damage you mentioned? Would we all be safer with battery packs running at 12V in preference to the supplied smps?

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #2,485 of 18,493
@Rob Watts, is it accurate to say that the Hugo M Scaler allows for 3dB of extra headroom (as the Blu Mk II) with respect to direct DAVE drive?

Yes it's exactly the same as blu 2, with the 3db headroom. The pass through mode also has the headroom, so it's volume matched.

Thanks Rob,

I’m keen to run it away from the mains for no other reason than to make me feel happy, as my computer psu should never of blown up, the mere fact that it did is worrying, even if the mains tested as being ok.

Anyway, your mscaler.

At first I was hmm, is this it, I didnt know what to expect, but then a few hours into it, I noticed Hugo didn’t sound as bright and sharp/clinical, it was warmer than before. Then I noticed that I had been listening to it for 6+ hours, which is amazing, as hugo normally limits me to a couple of hours at most, because I easily get fatigued and have to take off my headphones.

But there was none of that with the mscaler. I hadn’t even noticed 6+ hours had went by just like that.

Thus far I’m really enjoying it. Will let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks time once it’s settled in.

Read this as someone who does not have the best ear for noticing small changes in sound quality.

Cheers Rob

Yes it's easy for "golden ears" to hear the difference, but the real change is musical; and this takes more time to appreciate. Once you get used to how music is presented, you won't be able to go back.... And you will find it essential.

Rob, is there no headroom above 15V in the protection diode? With the supplied smps delivering 15V, what is to stop that for whatever reason delivering more than 15V on occasion and causing the damage you mentioned? Would we all be safer with battery packs running at 12V in preference to the supplied smps?

It's designed to work perfectly with the supplied SMPSU so absolutely no worries there.

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #2,486 of 18,493
Yes it's exactly the same as blu 2, with the 3db headroom. The pass through mode also has the headroom, so it's volume matched.

Yes it's easy for "golden ears" to hear the difference, but the real change is musical; and this takes more time to appreciate. Once you get used to how music is presented, you won't be able to go back.... And you will find it essential.

It's designed to work perfectly with the supplied SMPSU so absolutely no worries there.

Hi Rob, yeah, it will take me sometime to get used to it.

I have just ordered a TT2 to go alongside it, this is a bloody expensive hobby. I was going to trade in hugo 2, but I decided that hugo 2 with polys capabilities is too big to ignore.

a couple of questions.

Is the OP SR button on the remote the passthrough/ bypass mode ? Basically what it would be like if I was only using Hugo 2.

Also, will DX addons be of any use to headphone users ?

Is the DX OP light always enabled when listening to music, I notice it changes from red to other colours when a higher sample rate file is playing, can it be disabled so that only the two white balls on the left are liit up.

Is the Mscaler and TT2 ok to be left turned on all the time ?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #2,487 of 18,493
Without wishing to stir things up, I’m genuinely confused. I downloaded the latest issue of Hi-Fi World, and there’s a full-page advertisement for WAVE cables, bearing the following heading:

“Enhance your Blu Mk2 MScaler Hugo MScaler or DAC with WAVE digital cables to filter RF noise”. The WAVE STREAM Premium cables are recommended for the Hugo MScaler.

According to a post a day or so ago, agreeing with Rob, Nick confirmed that the Hugo MScaler sounds worse with clip-on ferrites, which are what these cables employ. I can’t reconcile this with the promotional literature.. What am I missing?

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #2,488 of 18,493
Without wishing to stir things up, I’m genuinely confused. I downloaded the latest issue of Hi-Fi World, and there’s a full-page advertisement for WAVE cables, bearing the following heading:

“Enhance your Blu Mk2 MScaler Hugo MScaler or DAC with WAVE digital cables to filter RF noise”. The WAVE STREAM Premium cables are recommended for the Hugo MScaler.

According to a post a day or so ago, agreeing with Rob, Nick confirmed that the Hugo MScaler sounds worse with clip-on ferrites, which are what these cables employ. I can’t reconcile this with the promotional literature.. What am I missing?

It is easy. The cables do not employ clip on (ie split core) ferrites and instead use solid core ferrites.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #2,490 of 18,493
Well those ferrets are out again, someone here own stocks in it, or sell them, or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back