Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 4, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #346 of 18,549
The coax input can be used, a dual bnc to coax connector is required - I think moon audio already have one.

Is there any benefit to having the TT2 versus the Hugo2 with the M Scaler if I don’t need the extra inputs or outputs of the TT2 and use the units as DACs for other amps (BHSE & MHA150)? Thanks again!

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #347 of 18,549
Excuse me if I missed it, but how is the dual BNC output used to output the full upscaling to the input of the Hugo2?

I was contemplating trading in the Hugo2 for the M Scaler and Hugo TT2, but if I can utilize the full features of the M Scaler via the Hugo2, it seems reasonable to just order the M Scaler and keep using the Hugo2 since it’s portability is still useful to me when I travel.

Thanks!

No first hand experience but Id say itd be the same way users have used the Blu mk2 to make the BluHugo2 — lol naming conventions are bringing up Power Rangers megazord memories.

Can any BluHugo2 or BluDave users confirm?

Hugo2– 3.5 to dual rca cable — rca to bnc adapter — 75ohm bnc cable to HMS.

Or simply coax 3.5 to dual BNC if u can find one?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #348 of 18,549
Is there any benefit to having the TT2 versus the Hugo2 with the M Scaler if I don’t need the extra inputs or outputs of the TT2 and use the units as DACs for other amps (BHSE & MHA150)? Thanks again!
Tt2 is a much better music making device as it’s not limited to being battery powered.
If you had the spare cash, it would be a sweet upgrade for sure.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #349 of 18,549
Well, since Chord specifies the 768K (on the 3.5mm input jack) in three places (website, user manual, and Box outside) I think we are entitled a clarification of what that means, and specially why an advertised feature does not work/exist.

The 768 kHz operation refers to USB only.

As too M scaler with Mojo - I agree with @Triode User in that you would need to listen first. The 0.5M taps (384k) to full 1M (768) is a big change, so listen to the M scaler first with your Mojo and compare it with a Hugo 2.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #350 of 18,549
If timing is essential, why USB and not Direct I2S ? HDMI is capable and it minimizes the errors and information losses with DDC ? Also, may we know what type of oscillator specifications are being used instead ? I don’t meant the FEMTO Second. What about PPB ? Wonder if it can be around +/- 5PPB ? Or around Crystek +/-50PPB

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #354 of 18,549
If timing is essential, why USB and not Direct I2S ? HDMI is capable and it minimizes the errors and information losses with DDC ? Also, may we know what type of oscillator specifications are being used instead ? I don’t meant the FEMTO Second. What about PPB ? Wonder if it can be around +/- 5PPB ? Or around Crystek +/-50PPB

It's not timing per se that's important; it's the fact that the timing of transients is non-linear, and constantly changing back and forth dependent upon the sampling point and the past and future samples. What I am doing is recovering the timing of transients without this non-linear error. The actual DAC master clock with pulse array clock is unimportant, both in terms of absolute accuracy and jitter, so long as it is a third overtone crystal oscillator and not a PLL derived one, which Chord DACs always are.

USB is actually better than I2S, as the clock is from the FPGA... Not that it matters either, as the DPLL does removes source jitter completely.

Why can’t the M-scaler be used with a HUGO2 that doesn’t have dual BNC inputs?

Just get cheap 3.5mm to RCA cable and use BNC to RCA adaptors. It works fine, as the 3.5mm coax supports dual data mode on Hugo 2. And it is the full 1M taps...

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #356 of 18,549
Now, I have a problem, I want the Mscaler but I have a Mojo only and I don't have the budget to buy both the Mscaler and the Hugo2. Buying the Mscaler alone would be a huge effort.

Question 1: I am thinking that the Mscaler connected to Mojo will be vastly superior to the Hugo2 alone. Am I correct?

Question 2: Rob said we can connect Mscaler to Mojo via Mojo's 3.5mm input jack, but that it limits it to 384kHz and 0.5M taps. But the Mojo manual mentions a "768KHz special operation" for the 3.5mm jack input. Also the Chord website Technical Spec says "3.5mm Jack Coaxial 768kHz/32-bit Capable Input". Also the Mojo box outside says: "3.5mm jack coaxial 768KHz". So what is this 768KHz, and why can't we use it with the Mscaler?

Question 3: In this scenario of Mscaler + Mojo, If the Mscaler is fed with 44K.1Hz, then it would output 8x44.1=352.8KHz to the Mojo 3.5mm input, and 4x44.1=176.4KHz to the Mojo optical input? Is that how the Mscaler works, always with integer multiples of the input? Is that automatic?

When I mentioned pairing Mojo with M-Scaler it was just for curiosity, Mojo only takes 250K or 500K taps anyway so it would have half or more unused. You would do better by spending that M-Scaler money on a TT2.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #357 of 18,549
I stopped buying CD's and downloading albums when I started using Qobuz. I stream in 16/44 through my PC and use a separate DAC/Headphone amp........will M Scaler be as beneficial for me if I upgrade to a Hugo 2 or TT2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back