Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 24, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #13,832 of 18,549
A few days ago I ordered the M Scaler. 🍾 I can't wait to insert it in the system !!:L3000:
I got my M-Scaler yesterday, and DAVE just showed up via FedEx about 30 minutes ago!!! Whoo Hoo!! I'm going to give DAVE a listen for a week without the M-Scaler first, though....

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #13,833 of 18,549
Smoke Point:
Butter: 150C
Olive Oil: 210C

Avoid extra-virgin @ 160C. Post photos!

If you're rightly concerned about using Olive Oil for cooking, as the smoke point creates bad components. Rapeseed Oil has a higher smoke point and is safe to cook with. While having almost exactly the same health benefits as Olive Oil.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #13,834 of 18,549
I have noticed that the worst culprit for temperature with my black dave and mscaler is direct sunlight. They both get hot enough to fry eggs. I just need to work out whether to use butter or olive oil.
Smoke Point:
Butter: 150C
Olive Oil: 210C

Avoid extra-virgin @ 160C. Post photos!

Best reach out to Chord first to verify whether the DAVE is non-stick before using it as a cooking surface. So as to preserve its resell value...

Jun 25, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #13,835 of 18,549
I got my M-Scaler yesterday, and DAVE just showed up via FedEx about 30 minutes ago!!! Whoo Hoo!! I'm going to give DAVE a listen for a week without the M-Scaler first, though....
You have more patience than me... I'd have just connected everything up. :sweat_smile:

I notice removal of something far more than the addition of the same thing.

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #13,837 of 18,549
You have more patience than me... I'd have just connected everything up. :sweat_smile:

I notice removal of something far more than the addition of the same thing.
I like to hear a system as it improves. Been mindblowing so far just listening to DAVE just as a DAC through my Quicksilver Tube Headphone amp. This is aural crack. I much prefer that to just plugging right into DAVE. In a few weeks, I've got an Eddie Current Studio B arriving, with with that, DAVE, M Scaler and Focal Utopias, should be some halfway decent sound! :beyersmile: But I'll wait till next Friday to hook up M Scaler!

Jun 30, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #13,838 of 18,549
Please does the M-Scaler pass through signals when the unit is powered off?

Like if you have M-Scaler and DAC wired up. You turn of the M-Scaler, will the signla pass through the M-Scaler to the DAC. Or does M-Scaler always need to be on to pass signal at native sampling rate.

I realise that it might depend on the digital signal. Say, coaxial into the M-Scaler has a chance to pass through M-Scaler off. Whereas optical into M-Scaler is not going to be converted to coaxial out, without M-Scaler on.

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #13,839 of 18,549
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #13,840 of 18,549
No. It needs to be powered up.

I bought little switches from amazon, they are like those desk lamp or table lamp switches and they do the job perfectly, I prefer to turn off my mscaler and tt2 when I’m not listening them, but at the mo, I haven’t got my cans off, as my combo sounds amazing….

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #13,841 of 18,549
Jul 1, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #13,842 of 18,549
Does anyone else’s MScaler get hot to touch ?
If you use some custom feet to lift it away from the flat surface of a table, then mines never gets warm. But I took it off it’s little stilts and it’s on its standard feet, and it’s warm, and tt2 the same.
Increase your flow/surface area !

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #13,843 of 18,549
If you use some custom feet to lift it away from the flat surface of a table, then mines never gets warm. But I took it off it’s little stilts and it’s on its standard feet, and it’s warm, and tt2 the same.
Increase your flow/surface area !

On that day that it was hot to the touch, it was mainly due to the hot weather, as everything else was hot. My TT2 and MS are spread apart and on different levels. And TT2 is on a surface that is widely perforated aka the top of my Corsair 800D pc case, I don’t use the thing so at-least try and get some benefit from it.

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #13,844 of 18,549
Need some help trouble shooting!

Have been using a TT2 connected to PC, listening to everything just fine - all good.

Today, added an M Scaler , when connected to PC theres audio, but is jagged/interference/cuts out

I take the USB cable out of the PC, plug it into an ipad - all works crystal clear.

Any ideas what to do? Its the same cable I was using before with the TT2 alone :sweat:

I tested optical cable from PC to M scaler - that works fine :sweat:

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-01 at 21.30.56.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #13,845 of 18,549
Need some help trouble shooting!

Have been using a TT2 connected to PC, listening to everything just fine - all good.

Today, added an M Scaler , when connected to PC theres audio, but is jagged/interference/cuts out

I take the USB cable out of the PC, plug it into an ipad - all works crystal clear.

Any ideas what to do? Its the same cable I was using before with the TT2 alone :sweat:

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-01 at 21.30.56.jpeg
To be clear:

PC (usb) ==> TT2 -- works fine
PC (usb) ==> mScaler ==> TT2 -- poor/noisy sound
iPad (usb) ==> mScaler ==> TT2 -- works fine

I assume this must be a USB-C cable at the source end -- same cable from PC or from iPad.

Windows 10 box? What app are you using to play music? Using DBNC on TT2?

Not sure what's going on. Seems like there must be something going on the the PC -- upsampling? Wasapi vs ASIO? Try doing no upsampling on mSC? Does the sample rate the mSC 'sees' match the output sample rate from your source PC? You could also run USB into the TT2, observe the sample rate there, then switch to inputting usb to the mSC and see if the input sample rate stays the same.

Very puzzling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back