Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 17, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,306 of 18,493
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,309 of 18,493
Guys, this thread is going crazy! The thing has barely been out half an hour and you’re getting into ferrites and third party power supplies and power leads. You think Rob so stupid he couldn’t have designed a better power supply than someone on the internet who no ones ever heard of? You think he so stupid he deliberately chose a bad connector? You all need to listen to some music and get a grip.

Keyword is cost not stupidity. Chord is not stupid but they want profit.

Yes keep listening to music please.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #1,311 of 18,493
Quality is always costly. Just decide what you really want and the other things will have to wait.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,313 of 18,493
I have looked at the images on those links and at the datasheets for those cables and they look very similar or even identical to the HMS supplied cables but I can only say that they 'could be' the same rather than being able to categorically state they are the same. I am sure you understand. What is your interest in finding out if you don't mind me asking?

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #1,314 of 18,493
I have looked at the images on those links and at the datasheets for those cables and they look very similar or even identical to the HMS supplied cables but I can only say that they 'could be' the same rather than being able to categorically state they are the same. I am sure you understand. What is your interest in finding out if you don't mind me asking?
thanks for checking. given the fact that Chord use Pro Signal toslink cables, it's quite fair to assume that the coax cables could be from the same source/manufacturer.

I simply need a coax cable to connect my blu-ray player to Chord Dave and instead of buying a fancy bnc terminated cable, I thought I would get the one that Chord include with the HMS. If it's good for Chord, it should be good for me too :)

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #1,315 of 18,493
Is the DX output light lit in red constantly for anyone that has the m scaler? Also are you just leaving it permanently on? Lastly anyone planning on auditioning the Etude?

Thanks.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #1,316 of 18,493
Is the DX output light lit in red constantly for anyone that has the m scaler? Also are you just leaving it permanently on? Lastly anyone planning on auditioning the Etude?

Thanks.
I got mine yesterday. From what I can see, the "DX OP" light always shows the colour reflecting the input sampling rate.
I can't see a way of actually turning the off the HMS :)

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #1,317 of 18,493
My mscaler arrives in a few hours but the adaptors won't be here till tomorrow to connect to hugo 2.

1) How do you turn the mscaler on/off? I can't see a power button.

2) with a computer/mscaler/hugo2 what is the sequence for powering up/down?

This is completely new territory so excuse the nature of these questions thanks mk.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #1,318 of 18,493
thanks for checking. given the fact that Chord use Pro Signal toslink cables, it's quite fair to assume that the coax cables could be from the same source/manufacturer.
I simply need a coax cable to connect my blu-ray player to Chord Dave and instead of buying a fancy bnc terminated cable, I thought I would get the one that Chord include with the HMS. If it's good for Chord, it should be good for me too :)

OK, I have just now taken apart one of those Pro Signal cables. They are pretty good for the price but the connector is crimped onto the outer flexible casing of the cable and not against a solid background. If you are looking to buy a bnc cable for reliable long term use I suggest maybe spending slightly more than the £3 inc VAT price of the Pro Signal cable and get something that has a better quality BNC connector.

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #1,319 of 18,493

Thanks.

I have asked my local dealer to get in an etude once released so I can try. John Frank's posted on the dave thread previously that this is the best amp chord have for partnering the dave??? I suspect all the chord amplifiers will move to this topology very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back