Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 17, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,291 of 18,496
Guys, this thread is going crazy! The thing has barely been out half an hour and you’re getting into ferrites and third party power supplies and power leads. You think Rob so stupid he couldn’t have designed a better power supply than someone on the internet who no ones ever heard of? You think he so stupid he deliberately chose a bad connector? You all need to listen to some music and get a grip.
One of the best posts I've ever read....

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #1,293 of 18,496
Guys, this thread is going crazy! The thing has barely been out half an hour and you’re getting into ferrites and third party power supplies and power leads. You think Rob so stupid he couldn’t have designed a better power supply than someone on the internet who no ones ever heard of? You think he so stupid he deliberately chose a bad connector? You all need to listen to some music and get a grip.

Andrew, I forgot to say that when you get your MScaler if you turn it over there is a button and a CD tray pops out. I think it was a last minute design tweak!

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,294 of 18,496
Explain your criteria for describing the plug as crappy.
I hope that your criteria is not that only expensive plugs are good enough.

No offense intended, sorry. I associate the C7 socket with my electric shaver, and - believe me - it does not sound very good. :wink:

I also have preordered a Hugo M Scaler, and I will be very happy as soon as I receive it. So I hope to be allowed to raise a question here, regarding its design.

We are not talking about an electric shaver here, but about the best high end audio gear. C13/C15 sockets are not more expensive, but just more common in high end audio. They allow the use of a better quality mains cable, preventing EMI emissions back to the mains line. Isn't this at least an acceptable argument concerning an SMPS? There may well be valid (or even better) arguments for C7, so I am kindly asking my question to be answered by @Rob Watts or any Chord Electronics official:

@Rob Watts / Chord: Why did you prefer an SMPS with C7 socket over a rather "normal" C13/C15? Imo, the latter would allow the use of better power cables, which prevent EMI noise feedback to the mains line, affecting other equipment.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,295 of 18,496
Andrew, I forgot to say that when you get your MScaler if you turn it over there is a button and a CD tray pops out. I think it was a last minute design tweak!

Actually I’ve bought a cd mechanism and found a cd at the back of a cupboard so I am prepared. I plan to put the cd mechanism in a Faraday cage and meantime I have been eating ferrites hoping that when the full moon comes and I align myself with the Greenwich meridian I shall cancel just the right amount of EMI to make the orientation of the figure of eight mains lead in my router slightly less audible.

Listened to The Mozart Requiem live last night. I was in the second row. I shook with it. I know what I expect music to do to me.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,296 of 18,496
Actually I’ve bought a cd mechanism and found a cd at the back of a cupboard so I am prepared. I plan to put the cd mechanism in a Faraday cage and meantime I have been eating ferrites hoping that when the full moon comes and I align myself with the Greenwich meridian I shall cancel just the right amount of EMI to make the orientation of the figure of eight mains lead in my router slightly less audible.

Listened to The Mozart Requiem live last night. I was in the second row. I shook with it. I know what I expect music to do to me.

Good man.

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,297 of 18,496
No offense intended, sorry. I associate the C7 socket with my electric shaver, and - believe me - it does not sound very good. :wink:

I also have preordered a Hugo M Scaler, and I will be very happy as soon as I receive it. So I hope to be allowed to raise a question here, regarding its design.

We are not talking about an electric shaver here, but about the best high end audio gear. C13/C15 sockets are not more expensive, but just more common in high end audio. They allow the use of a better quality mains cable, preventing EMI emissions back to the mains line. Isn't this at least an acceptable argument concerning an SMPS? There may well be valid (or even better) arguments for C7, so I am kindly asking my question to be answered by @Rob Watts or any Chord Electronics official:

Many of the leading mains cable brands have C7 versions of their top tier cables. I have an IsoTek EVO3 Premier C7 cable (at the lower end of their range) that I’m using with my Sky Box, which in subtle but noticeable ways seemed to improve the picture to my tv and (at the moment while I am catching up on some recorded Proms concerts) the sound fed to my DAVE via optical.

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,298 of 18,496
Many of the leading mains cable brands have C7 versions of their top tier cables. I have an IsoTek EVO3 Premier C7 cable (at the lower end of their range) that I’m using with my Sky Box, which in subtle but noticeable ways seemed to improve the picture to my tv and (at the moment while I am catching up on some recorded Proms concerts) the sound fed to my DAVE via optical.

Thanks, I will think about it. My preference are Shunyata power cables, and while they do not seem to have C7 versions of their better cables, they do offer a Venom C14/C7 adapter. But back to the M Scaler now. I do not want to upset the Chord community with too much cable talk. :wink:

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #1,300 of 18,496
Thanks, I will think about it. My preference are Shunyata power cables, and while they do not seem to have C7 versions of their better cables, they do offer a Venom C14/C7 adapter. But back to the M Scaler now. I do not want to upset the Chord community with too much cable talk. :wink:
Don't worry, but cable talk inevitably exposes strongly held views.

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,302 of 18,496
With the video filter switched off (black) and if you also feed the mscaler either a 48kHz video or music file am i right in saying you get the full 1M taps? thanks to all. This would solve any issues whereby 48kHz music files are concerned and the full utilisation of 1M taps.

(I have messaged Rob and my fright over the mscaler table chart has been alleviated. In fact "usbinput" as written is confusing and "bnc output'" on its own should be written.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #1,305 of 18,496
They are on the cargo ship now just passed Greenland.

I noticed the windows drivers are not on chord's site which must be troubling those wanting to use usb input.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back