Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 16, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #1,261 of 18,493
Is anyone able to shed some light on the issues me and relic had in understanding the mscaler sample rate table in the manual. Can anyone confirm that optical in can be upsampled to 705kHz and the meaning of "dualbnc/usb input" from the table? many thanks mk.

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,263 of 18,493
Is anyone able to shed some light on the issues me and relic had in understanding the mscaler sample rate table in the manual. Can anyone confirm that optical in can be upsampled to 705kHz and the meaning of "dualbnc/usb input" from the table? many thanks mk.

All I can say is that I have just now plugged a 44.1 optical input into the HMS and it MScales and outputs at 705.6 on the dual BNC outputs (confirmed by the display on Dave). I have also inputted 48kHz optical and it MScales to 768 kHz.

Also I have plugged a BNC input at 44.1 and that MScales to 705.6 on the dual BNC outputs.

I also can't understand much of Table 4.5 but hopefully I have reassured you that all inputs are capable of full MScaling provided that the white OP SR is selected.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #1,264 of 18,493
The AC input to the SMPS does not have an earth connection or earth wire in the AC cable. The AC input to the SMPS is the usual positive/negative twin 'figure of 8' connector ie reversible polarity.

Do I understand you correctly, that the SMPS has a C7 socket?

@Rob Watts / Chord: Why did you prefer an SMPS with C7 socket over a rather "normal" C13/C15? Imo, the latter would allow the use of better power cables, which prevent EMI noise feedback to the mains line, affecting other equipment.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #1,266 of 18,493
Thanks Triode very reassuring.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,267 of 18,493
Thanks Triode very reassuring.

No problem. It was always going to be that you got full MScaling from all the inputs but happy to prove it for you. I’m sure the guy who drew that chart knows what it means but it’s not obvious to the rest of us. :grinning:

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #1,269 of 18,493
Have you reverse the C7 for comparison?
Thanks!
Correct polarity does impact the sound quality.

No, not tried.
I would find it difficult to understand how there could be a 'correct' AC supply polarity in this type of supply.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #1,271 of 18,493
If there is any differences in voltage between reversing the C7, there should be a different.
After all, optimisation is the ultimate goal in this hobby.

15.065V no load, measures exactly the same whichever way round the C7 is connected. (My MM isn't calibrated but it is a good one.) I'm really not sure where you are going with this line of thought.

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #1,272 of 18,493
I see from the user manual that Chord have tightened up the warranty wording in respect of using power supplies other than the one provided. Oh well, at least we can try some ferrites on the provided supply’s dc lead.
I do think this a little draconian. Can someone from Chord explain why they have tightened up the wording on using other power supplies. Rob Watts had earlier included in a post wording that must have been agreed with Chord, that using a power supply different to the one provided “...may invalidate...”. That would seem to me to be a more reasonable stance.

Can Chord confirm whether or not battery packs of the type Rob described earlier in this thread are now allowed?

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #1,273 of 18,493
Ferrites? One unit gets sold and we are talking ferrites? What about sq say versus or with a reference server?

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #1,274 of 18,493
I do think this a little draconian. Can someone from Chord explain why they have tightened up the wording on using other power supplies. Rob Watts had earlier included in a post wording that must have been agreed with Chord, that using a power supply different to the one provided “...may invalidate...”. That would seem to me to be a more reasonable stance.

Can Chord confirm whether or not battery packs of the type Rob described earlier in this thread are now allowed?

Had a chat with Chord about your post & they clarified things, see below:-

This is because Rob is coming from a purely technical perspective which is fine... 'however' when it comes to building and selling the products Chord have to consider the commercial and legal implications.

If a customer uses something other than the power supply Chord provide then there is a risk of damage to the product or worse personal injury could occur.

Chord have had to harden their stance due to some warranty challenges where our wording in the manual was deemed not to be clear enough.

I don't believe we differ from any other manufacturer in this respect, hope that clears any confusion.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #1,275 of 18,493
2018-09-17 20.20.22.jpg
15.065V no load, measures exactly the same whichever way round the C7 is connected. (My MM isn't calibrated but it is a good one.) I'm really not sure where you are going with this line of thought.

I measured mine on the Qutest, it was AC 77.2V, reserved or non-reserved.

Surprisingly high!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back