Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 10, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #11,597 of 18,478
Poweradd comes with the correct connector for the MScaler. If you wish, you can leave it connected to the M Scaler and it’s own charger. That was it is likely fully charged, and your M Scaler will work fine for casual listening. When you come to listen seriously, just disconnect it from its charger by pulling out the lead, or pull out the charger from the mains. Simple.
Thanks again, but unfortunately the poweradd powerbanks are not available from any shops here in Sweden.
If they had been sold here I would have bought one long ago.

Sorry to pester you more informed guys with my usual follow up question that I have been posting here repeatedly.
What other powerbank options are there for me?

There are loads of different powerbanks from many makers but I still don't know if any others come with the correct cable to connect to an Mscaler and under no circumstances want to risk buying an inferior powerbank or one that might fry my mscaler.
Tips from other Swedish residents here who have bought a powerbank for their Mscaler would be much apreciated.

Cheers CC

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #11,599 of 18,478
Thanks again, but unfortunately the poweradd powerbanks are not available from any shops here in Sweden.
If they had been sold here I would have bought one long ago.

Sorry to pester you more informed guys with my usual follow up question that I have been posting here repeatedly.
What other powerbank options are there for me?

There are loads of different powerbanks from many makers but I still don't know if any others come with the correct cable to connect to an Mscaler and under no circumstances want to risk buying an inferior powerbank or one that might fry my mscaler.
Tips from other Swedish residents here who have bought a powerbank for their Mscaler would be much apreciated.

Cheers CC
A quick glance at Amazon.de finds this ..

https://www.amazon.de/POWERADD-Powe...&keywords=Poweradd+pro&qid=1594398152&sr=8-15

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #11,600 of 18,478
Poweradd comes with the correct connector for the MScaler. If you wish, you can leave it connected to the M Scaler and it’s own charger. That was it is likely fully charged, and your M Scaler will work fine for casual listening. When you come to listen seriously, just disconnect it from its charger by pulling out the lead, or pull out the charger from the mains. Simple.
I am too lazy to walk up to PowerAdd and pull out the charger/lead. I got a Samsung Smart plug and the charger is plugged to the smart plug. I have a Logitech harmony remote that I use to turn the smart switch on and off. I use Harmony remote to also control DAVE/HMS, Roon (Deep harmony extension), the lights in the room (Lutron IR) and make me a cup of coffee!

OK I was joking about the cup of coffee.

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #11,601 of 18,478

This is close to model I got. Mine is one model newer. Think any will work just newer one has easier readout for battery percent and should charge longer since more powerful battery. Also has more features if use to charge phones or other electronics.

https://www.amazon.de/POWERADD-Powe...tion-Smartphone/dp/B07WKLT87H?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #11,602 of 18,478
I am too lazy to walk up to PowerAdd and pull out the charger/lead. I got a Samsung Smart plug and the charger is plugged to the smart plug. I have a Logitech harmony remote that I use to turn the smart switch on and off. I use Harmony remote to also control DAVE/HMS, Roon (Deep harmony extension), the lights in the room (Lutron IR) and make me a cup of coffee!

OK I was joking about the cup of coffee.
For the money you save on fancy wires you could have a fetching young lady come round to plug things in and out.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #11,603 of 18,478
all this talk of tt2's taps being wasted when mscaler is connected are just wrong. i have seen these rumours floating around and they warrant deeper understanding of the mechanisms at work IMHO. what about wta2. rather than wasted think vastly enhanced performance. i think these false notions were floating around on tt2 thread too. i felt i should chime in as these ideas are becoming believed by some now.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #11,604 of 18,478
all this talk of tt2's taps being wasted when mscaler is connected are just wrong. i have seen these rumours floating around and they warrant deeper understanding of the mechanisms at work IMHO. what about wta2. rather than wasted think vastly enhanced performance. i think these false notions were floating around on tt2 thread too. i felt i should chime in as these ideas are becoming believed by some now.

Well technically the mscaler is bypassing the WTA1 filter even in the Dave. People assumed this would make the Hugo 2 sound the same as the Dave, which has been said to be completely untrue.

Once you get past WTA1, there is WTA2, noise shapers, and the pulse-array.

So yes we are kind of paying extra for the WTA1 taps that end up getting bypassed. Think the new digital amps they plan to release might not even have the WTA1 included, saving some money. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #11,605 of 18,478
Could you set the record straight please.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #11,606 of 18,478
maybe Rob could kindly chime in. i'm still totally convinced that any notion of taps being wasted is not the right way to think of this. to recreate the original analogue signal to better than 16 bit accuracy we need 1015808 taps. would adding tt2's 98k taps make the music sound better i think not. we shall see.

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #11,607 of 18,478
maybe Rob could kindly chime in. i'm still totally convinced that any notion of taps being wasted is not the right way to think of this. to recreate the original analogue signal to better than 16 bit accuracy we need 1015808 taps. would adding tt2's 98k taps make the music sound better i think not. we shall see.

You are not adding any taps. The Hugo 2, TT2, and the Dave all have the same 1 million taps when using the mscaler. Believe even the WTA2 is essentially the same. The big difference is the noise shapers and pulse-array. I believe there is more to it that just that.

So if Chord made the same exact dacs but just with different starting taps, they would all sound the same once you hooked up the mscaler. WTA1 is complete bypassed.

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #11,608 of 18,478
The WTA1 filter is bypassed if sending full 705/768 to H2,TT2, Dave. All the other filters and pulse array are still in play. 384 to TT1 bypasses wta1. That is why HQPlayer can be used for those wishing to try different filtering types. Flame on!

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #11,609 of 18,478
Just wondering if anyone notices a difference between the TT2’s filters when using the HMS.

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #11,610 of 18,478
Just wondering if anyone notices a difference between the TT2’s filters when using the HMS.

I don’t have TT2 but the Dave’s HF filter still has an effect. All the filtering on Hugo 2, TT2, Dave is done in the WTA2 process, so mscaler won’t effect that. Now there are recommendations on what filter you should use with mscaler vs without but think still down to personal preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back