Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 9, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #11,582 of 18,478
So after a couple of weeks of playing around with different volts on battery and settings on my Dave, I finally settled on this:

Poweradd at 9v and Dave with HF ON and no crossfeed.

It took me a long while to end up on this setting since this is a darker sound than I was originally used to. But it’s the most immersive and has the best textures. Don’t know why but 16v produces a brighter sound similar to the stock power supply.

I’m also finding using battery to be trouble free. I haven’t ever gone below 40% in my daily use and listen a lot while working from home. Whenever have extended break or at night , I unplug from mscaler and plug power back into battery to top back off.
it may be because of variable voltage generated by some circuitry inside the power bank. Better to use a 12v ups battery without anything in between. Be sure not to reverse the polarity accidentally. No power bank, no linear supply and no smps can beat the battery power.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #11,583 of 18,478
it may be because of variable voltage generated by some circuitry inside the power bank. Better to use a 12v ups battery without anything in between. Be sure not to reverse the polarity accidentally. No power bank, no linear supply and no smps can beat the battery power.
Ok so it seems my choice for off grid headphone listening with Mscaler will have to be a 12v battery, but which one?
I went to town and our dedicated battery shop a few days ago and there were hundreds of different batteries to choose from,ranging from ordinary car and boat huge heavy tractor batteries to the leisure type ones I used to have in my motorhome in Canada.
But what specifications apart from 12 v should I be looking for to buy a high quality and long lasting battery.
And what would happen if I accidentaly reversed polarity?
Would that risk frying my Mscaler?
And how do I figure out what is positive and negative on the Mscaler at its plug in end?
I have nothing to measure with.
Does anyone sell a ready made connection to use between a 12 volt batttery and an Mscaler with clear indications of what's what at its battery connection end?
Both my car battery and jumper cables have clear + and - indications on them.
Sorry if these questions seem stupid but I am not an electronics engineer or even a handy amateur and I certainly don't want to fry my Mscaler.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #11,584 of 18,478
Ok so it seems my choice for off grid headphone listening with Mscaler will have to be a 12v battery, but which one?
I went to town and our dedicated battery shop a few days ago and there were hundreds of different batteries to choose from,ranging from ordinary car and boat huge heavy tractor batteries to the leisure type ones I used to have in my motorhome in Canada.
But what specifications apart from 12 v should I be looking for to buy a high quality and long lasting battery.
And what would happen if I accidentaly reversed polarity?
Would that risk frying my Mscaler?
And how do I figure out what is positive and negative on the Mscaler at its plug in end?
I have nothing to measure with.
Does anyone sell a ready made connection to use between a 12 volt batttery and an Mscaler with clear indications of what's what at its battery connection end?
Both my car battery and jumper cables have clear + and - indications on them.
Sorry if these questions seem stupid but I am not an electronics engineer or even a handy amateur and I certainly don't want to fry my Mscaler.
Cheers CC
A 27ah 12v battery is enough to give around 15 hours to 20 hours. Central pin is positive. You will have to make a charging lead with same dc plug as in supplied charger at one end and crocodile clips at other end. I would suggest one wire permanent fixed to battery terminal (say negative end) to avoid accidental change of polarity. Reverse polarity will instantly blow the protection circuit in m scaler and void the warranty.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #11,588 of 18,478
A 27ah 12v battery is enough to give around 15 hours to 20 hours. Central pin is positive. You will have to make a charging lead with same dc plug as in supplied charger at one end and crocodile clips at other end. I would suggest one wire permanent fixed to battery terminal (say negative end) to avoid accidental change of polarity. Reverse polarity will instantly blow the protection circuit in m scaler and void the warranty.
Oops, that sounds way too scary for me.
What about the Poweradd 5 or similar powerbanks, are there any readymade connectors to use between those and an Mscaler?
I'd rather sacrifice that last bit of SQ but still be on the safe side of frying it, during thunderstorms.
The main reason for me looking for an off-grid solution via headphones is under conditions where I can't use my Mscaler plugged in.
I want a safe and simple plug and play solution.
Cheers CC

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #11,590 of 18,478
Anyone using Chord Epic BNC's to connect their Mscaler to the TT2 ? Views?

For that price, you may want to consider proven wave cable.

But if you are rational you will also want to consider a Poweradd battery pack which will likely give you a better result than any cable and save you many hundreds of pounds, which you could spend more beneficially on many other nice things.

The problem that the WAVE cables claim to solve only exists if the M Scaler is connected to mains electricity via its psu. By using a battery, there is no connection to mains, thus there is no RF issue to attenuate.

I don’t know what issue the EPIC cables claim to solve.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #11,591 of 18,478
If you get a Poweradd there is nothing more to buy. It comes with a bunch of adapters and one of them fits the mscaler. Instead of constantly removing the plug from the mscaler, I remove the plug from the Poweradd when not in use.

To set it up, when the Poweradd is not plugged in you hold down the power button to bring up the volt options. Just tab once to advance to next setting. It will stay at that setting once set. I’m currently using 9v.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #11,592 of 18,478
Oops, that sounds way too scary for me.
What about the Poweradd 5 or similar powerbanks, are there any readymade connectors to use between those and an Mscaler?
I'd rather sacrifice that last bit of SQ but still be on the safe side of frying it, during thunderstorms.
The main reason for me looking for an off-grid solution via headphones is under conditions where I can't use my Mscaler plugged in.
I want a safe and simple plug and play solution.
Cheers CC
Poweradd comes with the correct connector for the MScaler. If you wish, you can leave it connected to the M Scaler and it’s own charger. That was it is likely fully charged, and your M Scaler will work fine for casual listening. When you come to listen seriously, just disconnect it from its charger by pulling out the lead, or pull out the charger from the mains. Simple.

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #11,593 of 18,478
This post gets my post of the year so far award. I couldn't get the pro version, but the standard Nvidia Shield also can delay the video - so I got one of those, together with a Tendak OZV2 4k HDMI switch that has optical outputs - to extract the digital audio from the HDMI output of the Shield, to then feed the M scaler.

Netflix and Amazon Prime works perfectly - but BBC iplayer fails to lip sync.

Better call Saul sounded incredible last night - it's (to me) a huge difference listening at the full 1M taps.

This is the first piece of good news I have had since the lockdown, so thanks very much for the advice.

Hi Rob

For those who got the Blu2 without optical, which device should one use to covert optical to SPDIF?

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #11,595 of 18,478
But if you are rational you will also want to consider a Poweradd battery pack which will likely give you a better result than any cable and save you many hundreds of pounds, which you could spend more beneficially on many other nice things.

The problem that the WAVE cables claim to solve only exists if the M Scaler is connected to mains electricity via its psu. By using a battery, there is no connection to mains, thus there is no RF issue to attenuate.

I don’t know what issue the EPIC cables claim to solve.

I prefer to leave the equipment always on, so l bnc-optical-bnc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back