Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 2, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,037 of 18,491
Absolutely. Tell yourself your system sounds better, that you have improved things and... it invariably does. But you just need to be a neutral observer, not caring which result is the best and do rigorous AB tests, then it's possible to remove placebo or other bias. As @burbster pointed out, a single blind test, where A and B is identified neutrally only as A or B is very powerful, as bias is then eliminated. I often do this when the listening test reveals something extraordinary, so I need a listening sanity test.

FPGAs haven't moved on rapidly recently - Moore's law is running out of steam, certainly for low cost silicon. With Xilinx, low cost high performance FPGAs have not changed in 6 years (7 series was "launched" a very long time ago in autumn 2012 - but it took 3 years for silicon to be easily available). As far as circuit boards and solder, this hasn't changed either - the best solder being high purity silver bearing solder, and we are stuck with FR4 PCB's - this hasn't really changed in the last 30 years. What has changed is the quality of automation, and the use of nitrogen in reflow ovens. This means the solderr joints are very pure, as it is soldered in a nitrogen atmosphere, and this gives better reliability and better sound quality.

The components are absolutely picked for sound quality - in terms of me specifying which component to use from a SQ and measurement POV.
Really interested read that Rob. I know a certain hi-fi company uses springs to isolate the circuit board from the casing,not sure if that really works

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #1,038 of 18,491
Been keeping busy decorating, not sure about the colour though IMG_20180902_175957.jpg

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #1,039 of 18,491
Been keeping busy decorating, not sure about the colour though

Without white balanced image is that blue or green? Our bedroom accent wall is a dark green, so similar. Wasn't my color/colour choice either, LOL

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #1,041 of 18,491
A woman's work by Maxwell is the first song I'm gonna play on my hugo TT 2.If no-one has heard of Maxwell please listen to his first album and his Mtv unplugged, amazing

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #1,042 of 18,491
A woman's work by Maxwell is the first song I'm gonna play on my hugo TT 2.If no-one has heard of Maxwell please listen to his first album and his Mtv unplugged, amazing

Embrya was one of the first albums I listened to with the Qutest. I think I posted bass was so deep it sounded like it was coming from basement.

C'mon man you making me want to pre-order TT2. I'm still shaken by what the mScaler must sound like.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #1,043 of 18,491
I'm prioritizing the Hugo TT 2 over the M Scaler. I can only guess it'll be a bigger upgrade, coming from a Hugo 2. I'll get the M Scaler some time in 2019. Then I'm done with all of this, lol.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #1,044 of 18,491
I'm prioritizing the Hugo TT 2 over the M Scaler. I can only guess it'll be a bigger upgrade, coming from a Hugo 2. I'll get the M Scaler some time in 2019. Then I'm done with all of this, lol.
Yes after the M scaler I'm gonna retire, buy myself a 2 birth caravan and travel the United Kingdom in style

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #1,045 of 18,491
Embrya was one of the first albums I listened to with the Qutest. I think I posted bass was so deep it sounded like it was coming from basement.

C'mon man you making me want to pre-order TT2. I'm still shaken by what the mScaler must sound like.
Urban hang suite was my favourite, Rome wasn't built in a day, Hugo TT 2 then M scaler

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #1,046 of 18,491

So far @Rob Watts has implied that no sound improvement will come from cables, but be aware someone will be selling the golden mScaler cable. I'm glad he got out ahead of this.

I'm planning on being done as well afterwards. No fancy cables for me regardless

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #1,047 of 18,491
i may be done before :)

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,048 of 18,491
On the TT2 thread it was discussed that it can drive the desktop Magnapans. TT2, mScaler, headphones and Magnapans sheer (office/personal) nirvana.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,049 of 18,491
So far @Rob Watts has implied that no sound improvement will come from cables, but be aware someone will be selling the golden mScaler cable. I'm glad he got out ahead of this.
I'm planning on being done as well afterwards. No fancy cables for me regardless

It will come as no surprise that the first thing to do when I get my HMS will be to plug in a set of WAVE cables and see what happens. :grinning:

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #1,050 of 18,491

If I ever get an MS, I'll listen to many experiences and decide then. I won't rule anything out and always question everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back