Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 12, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #10,308 of 18,639
How is Chord HMS + TT2 compared to Chord DAVE? Their prices are roughly similar and I heard that Chord DAVE is still much better than the mentioned combo.

This question tends to be asked from time to time. There is no absolute answer but the last time it was asked, I and a load of other people said we prefer solo Dave compared to TT2 plus Mscaler. Equally though there were those who said they prefer the TT2 and Mscaler combination.

The only advice I can give is to listen for yourself if you gave a friendly dealer.

Also, the decision might depend on whether you have any thoughts that you might end up with Dave and Mscaler because in which case there might be advantage in getting Dave by itself initially.

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #10,312 of 18,639
My DAVE is so good that I have not invested in the MScaler despite 2 auditions to date.

GG
What quality do you listen to - CD or Hi-Res (+ WAV / FLAC ...)?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #10,313 of 18,639
i'm currently stuck in the tt2/hms vs solo dave no mans land. will be comparing both at my dealer soon. if my ears like the dave i will give up my mTT2 but only if. there is no logic at play here only gut response.

Mar 13, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #10,314 of 18,639
I had the TT2/Mscaler then went to the DAVE, got a faulty unit and couldn’t use the Mscaler with the DAVE. I immediately noticed a more “digital” sound with the solo DAVE, but also a big resolution increase. The DAVE is just so much more detailed than the TT2/M-scaler. I got used to the digital sound, and I felt the DAVE solo was more impressive than the TT2/Mscaler.

I finally was able to use my Mscaler with the DAVE, and the combo is amazing. It’s a good upgrade path for the future if you have a solo DAVE

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #10,315 of 18,639
out of interest which headphones did you use with standalone dave?

Mar 14, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #10,316 of 18,639
For those who stream tidal into the HMS (whether its via native, roon, audirvana), do you guys enable MQA core decoding for MQA tracks? Or do you disable the MQA unfolding and just go straight 44.1 into the HMS? Is there any difference whether the HMS receives a 44.1 / 48 / 96 etc if its all being upscaled into 706 ultimately?

Mar 14, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #10,317 of 18,639
there is a difference that being mqa is not considered "ideal" for the mscaler and that normal native 44.1 files are much better.

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #10,318 of 18,639
That is such a great question....I would have eventually asked the same.

I emailed Chord to ask about this and will report back here.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #10,319 of 18,639
Is there any difference whether the HMS receives a 44.1 / 48 / 96 etc if its all being upscaled into 706 ultimately?

If the higher resolution file is a genuine hi res file and not just upsampled by an app then you will get better sound quality by feeding the higher res file to the mscaler as opposed to feeding it 44.1. For this reason I always buy the Hi Res version for download from Qobuz or stream using their Hi Res service. (I swopped away from Tidal to escape MQA altogether).

Mar 14, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #10,320 of 18,639
If the higher resolution file is a genuine hi res file and not just upsampled by an app then you will get better sound quality by feeding the higher res file to the mscaler as opposed to feeding it 44.1. For this reason I always buy the Hi Res version for download from Qobuz or stream using their Hi Res service. (I swopped away from Tidal to escape MQA altogether).

I swapped to Qobuz for the very same reason. Also, there was only one album Qobuz didn’t have, the service is cheaper, and there are alternative payment plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back