Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 9, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #9,181 of 18,496
What you’ve described has been exactly my experience, albeit with the m-scaler in the Blu-2 into the DAVE. I’ve been reliably informed that the same issues exist with the Hugo m-scaler so I’ve not seen that as a remedy notwithstanding the introduction of internal ferrites.

I’ve tried myriad solutions, and ferrites, Wave cables (and carbon cables) do mitigate the issue but do not do remedy it altogether. I suspect that the Opto-DX would provide the best solution and have been watching this forum to see the user reports, which seem to have been favourable. Unfortunately, I cannot currently afford that unit and would ideally like to try it first but living in the UK this is not practical. Also, as you mention, having spent a large sum on the technology I’m rather miffed that I’d have to spend significantly more to overcome what I percieve as a very real problem.

I agree that the m-scaler technology does some things incredibly well and produces very real benefits such as increased depth, detail and soundstaging . Unfortunately, for me it giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other. It introduces high frequency hash into the DAVE in a clearly verifiable way. What Rob describes as slight I regard as significant such that it leads to listening fatigue. This is why he called me an “outlier” so I suppose I’m gratified that there are at least some others out there and it’s not my imagination. It my be down to a matter of personal taste and, as I’ve said, I really do wish I didn’t hear things that way. I just wanted to plug something into the DAVE that enhanced my listening pleasure and forget about it, which is what I consider Hi-Fi to be about.

I find it regrettable that some consider such views should be excluded simply because they don’t hear things that way.

I just find this hard to believe. I'd say its your setup more than the HMS.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #9,182 of 18,496
Battery packs like the Pilot Pro 2 are also inherently weak with transient current delivery, which will be noticeable more with some types of device than with others. Still, the benefits of isolation will often outweigh any transient current shortcomings.

This battery pack is what was recommended to me but since I don't experience any noise with the HMS I just don't have a need for it

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #9,183 of 18,496
I just find this hard to believe. I'd say its your setup more than the HMS.

Or it might be the aliens that have moved next door and their microwave transmissions. They also appear to have moved near to others and even Chord demo rooms. I remember Triode User complaining that at one show Blu 2 into DAVE sounded so bad he had to leave after a few minutes. And what about the various other “third party” solutions - do all such people have problematic equipment? This strikes me as unlikely and that it’s an issue that bothers some more than others. After all, you yourself have suggested solutions.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #9,184 of 18,496
Or it might be the aliens that have moved next door and their microwave transmissions. They also appear to have moved near to others and even Chord demo rooms. I remember Triode User complaining that at one show Blu 2 into DAVE sounded so bad he had to leave after a few minutes. And what about the various other “third party” solutions - do all such people have problematic equipment? This strikes me as unlikely and that it’s an issue that bothers some more than others. After all, you yourself have suggested solutions.

Yes suggested them as general overall solution not specifically for the HMS. I think the aliens have invaded the persons body and messed with their ear drums.

No its very likely. Pairings and equipment setup make a huge difference.. and if noise was such an issue it would affect everyone not just "special" people with RFI sensitivity above others; with special ears and are just to sensitive that mere mortals can't understand or hear what they are hearing....... about to throw up .........

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #9,185 of 18,496
Just imagine Rob Watts fiddling with 20 ferrites on his cables to remedy his design and the rest of "solutions". Imagined?
Reading these post is like visiting a mental asylum, after being among crazy for a few days you become crazy too.
For the most parts I have no idea what people are talking about.

May be "the brotherhood of topping" is right, their bestest Topping is all you need, and if doesn't sound good to you or has RF to your liking you can do the same 20+ ferrites or buy $2000 worth of re-clockers, cleaners, cold plated optical cables, etc. etc. and fix it to your liking.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #9,186 of 18,496
Just imagine Rob Watts fiddling with 20 ferrites on his cables to remedy his design and the rest of "solutions". Imagined?
Reading these post is like visiting a mental asylum, after being among crazy for a few days you become crazy too.

May be "the brotherhood of topping" is right, their bestest Topping is all you need, and if doesn't sound good to you or has RF to your liking you can do the same 20+ ferrites or buy $2000 worth of re-clockers, cleaners, cold plated optical cables, etc. etc. and fix it to your liking.

lol....

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #9,187 of 18,496

Actually, my understanding is that he does use BNC cables with ferrites end to end.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #9,192 of 18,496
I think the reason some of us are getting tired of the RFI debates is due to the repetitive ‘infomercial’ style write-ups for miracle products that solve a completely overblown issue. Then throw in some comments like changing BNC cables post optical conversion via Opto-DX making audible differences making the whole thing a joke.

I think it would be more than fair to say that every single person who posted here about the positive benefits of reducing RF from the HMS did so with one aim in mind: to let others know that doing so could greatly increase their musical enjoyment. Even Dan and Nick, who sell products that address RF, have repeatedly shown themselves to be eager to help others increase their enjoyment of music.

The words I quoted really bum me out. I could have kept my observations to myself - but then who other than me benefits from my learnings?

I’ll return to lurker mode now. My only hope is that at least one of you benefitted from me sharing my findings.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #9,194 of 18,496
So I did the AB.
HQP filter was poly-sinc-xtr (as recommended to be the closest to Chord), no dither, 705/768khz
M Scaler filter was DX

Setup:
roon>wifi>digione>coax>mscaler>dualCoax>H2>utopia
roon>wifi>mbpro/hqp>usb>H2>utopia
music IZZ-Album-Don't Panic-listened entire album
synced both feeds as close as possible with a little space to switch when i heard something to compare, vol was level as it same source and H2
this is a superb recorded album with fantastic transient and acoustic timbres as well

IMHO results:
1) by the end of the album I didn't know which I was listening too and had to refer to the H2 input lights
2) to me they both sounded so close I can't claim one over the other
3) classical or other genres may be different results but for me it was a draw except:
4) when switching to hqp there were glitches requiring intervention and HQP has glitched many times in my past listening
5) the M scaler relieves my mbpro for other use as it slows all other functions down

Sorry. I feel like an atheist.
I would appreciate if someone else could try this as I am not a confirmed Golden Ear.
Thats bad
news.

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #9,195 of 18,496
This diagram might help to understand sinc interpolation.
Figure 1 shows what a sinc function looks like. It can be calculated from the formula shown.
Note that the peak value equals 1 and it continues to plus and minus infinity time and never completely decays to zero.
It is scaled so that the nulls of the sinc (where it equals zero) line up with the sample period and it is multiplied by the value of the sample.
This is done for every sample so you get the overlapping sinc functions shown in Figure 2.
Notice that at each sample, only the one sinc function contributes to its value and all the remaining sincs sum to zero at that point (see blue arrow).
This is the same for every other sample point too. To reconstruct between the sample points, say where the red arrow is,
you add up the value of all those overlapping sinc functions at that point and that will give the reconstructed value at that point.
That is the basic concept. Do this 16 times between each sample period and you have 16x upsampling.
With a 44.1kHz song that is 4 minutes long, it would have 10,584,000‬ samples and we would need that many overlapping sinc functions.
They would need to be long enough to cover the entire song and we would need to wait for all the samples before we reconstructed.
This isn't practical, so we have to truncate the sinc function and do the reconstruction over smaller time periods with a smaller amount of samples.
How you do this and the precision of the calculations affects the reconstruction and the sound quality (this is where WTA plays a part).
In a computer algorithm it is done more efficiently than this but this helps to visualize how it works.

Untitled.png
blob:https://www.head-fi.org/5303cc79-2d16-4fac-8410-5e975fd5f1bb
Well...
looks like you can make
your own
m-scaler
upload_2019-11-10_11-13-25.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back