Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #8,852 of 18,437
Tried my teddy Pardo on my Chord 2Qute. It was worse than the stock supply. Not a good synergy with that DAC, the JS-2 works beautifully with that DAC. Even the Keces was better. I do have a stack of linear and supercapacitor supplies to play with but The Teddy Pardo is now relegated to powering a wireless router as other supplies always worked better in the audio system. But the Farad3 at 15V works very well on the HMS.

when you mention worse and better with these supplies, can you say in what way please?

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #8,853 of 18,437
with the wa33 in the mix how close does that sound to the tt2/hms on their own?

Great question. As I was burning in the new BNCs all last weekend, I figured why not, and plugged the 4s directly into the TT2/HMS headphone out. VERY minor uptick in transparency because the WA33 is practically see thru in that regard, as it should be for 8 grand. I was surprised though, at +15 volume on the TT2 it actually had the power to produce earpad shaking output from the 4s which are the most power greedy headphones I’ve ever used. Anything above that and it clipped the TT2’s amp but wow. Anyway, with the WA33 in the mix everything is better, period. Soundstage, imaging, tonality by a mile, smoothness, three dimensionality, driver control, the works, it’s flat out intoxicating. TT2/HMS = 15min of listening..whoa that was rad but I’m good for now. TT2/HMS/WA33 = I refuse to take these headphones off..why is it 4am what just happened? That’s at least with the LCD-4s. I think with a darker headphone like the LCD-3, Meze Empyrean, or a ZMF I could listen to the TT2/HMS all day.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #8,854 of 18,437
Has anyone compared the tt/mscaler vs Dave mscaler?
Yeah. Did this at CanJam SoCal. Dave/HMS sounds even cleaner, richer, and above all else..bigger..way more atmospheric. The sound field around your head is huge. Dave does this on its own, but with a very dry/technical sound signature IMO. HMS further increases the detail to this porcelain solid/smooth level and brings back the SOUL standalone Dave was missing (which is why I sold my Dave, now I want it back since HMS is basically the Soul Stone).

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #8,855 of 18,437
The Chord power supply will go back into the box along with the BNC cables they provided. The PP2 comes with a DC cable that can be plugged into the TT2.
Right, so the Paul Hynes SR4 goes into the Power Pilot which goes into the Chord?

I think I get it.

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #8,856 of 18,437
Right, so the Paul Hynes SR4 goes into the Power Pilot which goes into the Chord?

it’s one or the other. Either the SR4 powers the Chord device - was or the Pilot Pro battery does it.

The SR4 is the superior power supply. The battery is inexpensive though and delivers a really nice bang for the buck.

Oct 24, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #8,857 of 18,437
So just connect the SR4 direct to the Chord - at 15v?

It won't blow up, will it?

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #8,858 of 18,437
I think rob talks about 12v being a safe voltage, but also, it will invalidate your warranty.

You do have to consider chord won’t cover it if any damage is done. A bit scary.

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #8,859 of 18,437
I've been thinking about plugging everything in to an Audioquest Niagra 1200. I've said before, the science of electronics is all Greek to me and I need everything explained in terms a child (or, better still, a dog) would understand.

Is it worth using a power conditioner (the Niagra)) along with a linear power supply (the SR4)?

I wouldn't mind a bit of guidance from Rob Watts before I plug my TT2 & MScaler into anything other than the original power supplies - from both sound benefits and warranty angles!

edit - I know the Niagra is fine obvs - just the SR4 that worries me slightly (and does it really benefit TT2 or MS?)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #8,860 of 18,437
Alright so I’ve had the HMS on my TT2 for about 2 weeks now. AudioArt BNC cables since Friday. My non-technical assessment is this. If an audio component makes me laugh because it sounds so good, I buy/keep it, it’s a winner. Very few components in my 25yrs as an audiophile, even at super high end audio expos have gotten that reaction out of me. My big Martin Logan electrostat/NAD Masters system makes me laugh occasionally with the proper movie soundtrack or scoring. It’s that uncannily good sometimes. I seriously feel guilty for owning things that sound that transparent and cohesive like there’s just sound there, not speakers producing sound. Anyway, the TT2 by itself via WA33 warmed up for about 4hrs made me laugh a few times, but today with the HMS and upgraded BNCs I had a reaction I’ve never had before. I was streaming this song Time by Kidwaste on Spotify of all things. It sounded so mind blowingly detailed, three dimensional, soulful, liquid, and effortless through the TT2/HMS/WA33/LCD-4 that I just looked over at the setup and said “Oh screw you..”:beyersmile:Yeah, first time I’ve ever laughingly cussed at a component out loud. If that isn’t the highest praise idk what is. Bravo @Rob Watts

I actually know exactly what you mean...in my case I have the blu2 with dave and sometimes when listening through my HP's I will find the sound spooky good....it kinda depends on my mood and the time of day...most often late at night and lets not forget a bourbon or 2!

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #8,861 of 18,437
@Uncle Monty

Detailed talk of Power supplies is generally avoided in the Chord threads, primarily because of Chord Policy to invalidate warranty if any damage is caused by non-stock supplies. Secondarily poor quality supplies, linear or otherwise, will often sound worse than the stock supplies and many cheap linear supplies are poorly regulated and may result in the magic smoke. And from my own experience you have to spend quite a bit to really improve on the stock supply and why not just save that money and get a new better dac or device or spend it elsewhere to get a better value improvement?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #8,862 of 18,437
I actually know exactly what you mean...in my case I have the blu2 with dave and sometimes when listening through my HP's I will find the sound spooky good....it kinda depends on my mood and the time of day...most often late at night and lets not forget a bourbon or 2!

Wow BluDave too. Part of me wants to go HMS/Dave now that I know I can have Dave atmospherics AND naturally weighty tone/soul. Problem is, aesthetics. I’m big on that. As you can see my nightstand is crowded enough with that big WA33 which ain’t going anywhere. I measured it out and a Dave won’t fit. It’ll hang off the side by a few inches, let alone HMS and Dave. The only way, and this sucks, would be to circle drill a hole for cabling in the back of the nightstand..stash the Dave in the top drawer..and leave the HMS on top next to the 33. A gorgeous $10k dac..in a drawer. Idk if I could bring myself to do it, but the sound..ugh.

Anyway, a bourbon or two mixed with Chord magic is great. However, I do live in Southern California where certain euphoria inducing plants are 100% legal and can be delivered to your doorstep with an app faster than pizza. So, a few times a year I’ll order up some funny brownies, cookies, and gummy snacks, and when those kick in while you’re listening to MScaled tunes through a big tube amp it’s goodbye planet earth:o2smile::rocket:

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #8,863 of 18,437
Anyway, a bourbon or two mixed with Chord magic is great. However, I do live in Southern California where certain euphoria inducing plants are 100% legal and can be delivered to your doorstep with an app faster than pizza. So, a few times a year I’ll order up some funny brownies, cookies, and gummy snacks, and when those kick in while you’re listening to MScaled tunes through a big tube amp it’s goodbye planet earth:o2smile::rocket:

Hard to beat that scenario!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #8,864 of 18,437
I've been thinking about plugging everything in to an Audioquest Niagra 1200. I've said before, the science of electronics is all Greek to me and I need everything explained in terms a child (or, better still, a dog) would understand.

Is it worth using a power conditioner (the Niagra)) along with a linear power supply (the SR4)?

I wouldn't mind a bit of guidance from Rob Watts before I plug my TT2 & MScaler into anything other than the original power supplies - from both sound benefits and warranty angles!

edit - I know the Niagra is fine obvs - just the SR4 that worries me slightly (and does it really benefit TT2 or MS?)
Ive just added a Niagara 7000 to my system. Undoubtedly one of the best upgrades ive done. Always been sceptical about them but absolutely staggered by the difference.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #8,865 of 18,437

Users who are viewing this thread

Back