Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 22, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #8,821 of 18,412
Best get in touch with Dan (@dmance). He is a great guy, honest and responsive. To be clear, Opto DX is a game changer, imo.

Regarding the best power supplies for the M-Scaler and OptoDX T, this is clearly a battery (in my case a PowerAdd PP2 with a split DC cable for powering both with 12V). I could hardly believe it, but that's what it is. On the Opto DX receiver side, a good LPS does the best job (Paul Hynes SR4).

Split DC cable. Where may I ask did you get that (and the extra tip) from?

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #8,822 of 18,412
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #8,823 of 18,412
I got a split DC cable from Ghent Audio (custom...details in my ODX review linked below). I used it to power both the TX and RX modules of ODX using a PP2 battery and using an Uptone Audio LPS 1.2. The 1.2 was clearly a step up, but my best config was a PP2 on the TX unit and the 1.2 on the RX unit (no split)

The Paul Hynes SR4 does have a small step up from the 1.2, but I heard much more benefit with the SR4 elsewhere in my chain

Oct 22, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #8,824 of 18,412
Best get in touch with Dan (@dmance). He is a great guy, honest and responsive. To be clear, Opto DX is a game changer, imo.

Regarding the best power supplies for the M-Scaler and OptoDX T, this is clearly a battery (in my case a PowerAdd PP2 with a split DC cable for powering both with 12V). I could hardly believe it, but that's what it is. On the Opto DX receiver side, a good LPS does the best job (Paul Hynes SR4).

Please, when you use the PowerAdd PP2 to power M-Scaler and Opto DX, is the battery charging at the same time? Or do you charge the battery while M-Scaler/Opto DX is not in use, then run the system from battery?

Oct 22, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #8,825 of 18,412
@xxx1313 can share his experiences, but my practice is to unplug chargers from the batteries when listening, and plug back in when I'm done. If I'm playing music in background, I sometimes leave the chargers plugged in, but I can definitely hear the difference during critical listening (not severe, but when something seems off, it usually is because I forgot to unplug a charger...doh!)

Oct 22, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #8,826 of 18,412
I do not charge the PP2 while it powers M-Scaler and Opto DX, because I want to avoid a metal connection from HMS to the power line (and DAVE). Ray is right imo, the difference is clearly audible. I often forgot to charge the PP2 soon enough and I tend to have quite long listening sessions sometimes (you know, HMS + Dave is really great), so I got a second PP2. While one powers HMS and ODX, the other PP2 is charging.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #8,827 of 18,412

I have one on the way, and am preparing on embarking on my journey down the rabbit hole, in earnest this time.

I have a Pilot Pro2 already, which will power the M-Scaler and the Opto DX transmitter unit, and plan on getting a second one just to feed the the Opto DX receiver unit. I'm also pretty tempted to try out a Yeti that Dan has mentioned, which I would use to power the DAC.

Thanks for that link for the DC cable spitter, too.

Oct 22, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #8,828 of 18,412
I have one on the way, and am preparing on embarking on my journey down the rabbit hole, in earnest this time.

I have a Pilot Pro2 already, which will power the M-Scaler and the Opto DX transmitter unit, and plan on getting a second one just to feed the the Opto DX receiver unit. I'm also pretty tempted to try out a Yeti that Dan has mentioned, which I would use to power the DAC.

Thanks for that link for the DC cable spitter, too.

Great! I am sure you will really enjoy the Opto DX. :) In case you try the Goal Zero Yeti, please report!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #8,831 of 18,412
I asked before how to shut off the M Scaler, and you guys said it automatically turns off when it doesn’t detect incoming signal. Well, why does the OP/SR light stay on at all times then? It’s been 24hrs since I’ve used it and that light being on is driving me nuts lol. Do I have to resort to unplugging the M Scaler every time to get it to fully power off/no lights?

38D9E17F-856C-43BF-BC66-6CC73C04B7A4.jpeg

Oct 23, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #8,832 of 18,412
How M scaler would behave if for example i feed 96khz/DSD64 sacd files. I hope not only CD redbooks have the most effect here but also other rate source too. Thank you for explanation.

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #8,833 of 18,412
I asked before how to shut off the M Scaler, and you guys said it automatically turns off when it doesn’t detect incoming signal. Well, why does the OP/SR light stay on at all times then? It’s been 24hrs since I’ve used it and that light being on is driving me nuts lol. Do I have to resort to unplugging the M Scaler every time to get it to fully power off/no lights?

What source input do you use? Sometimes my optical input causes the input light to remain on when no actual music is playing as the pc must still be sending some kind of signal.

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #8,834 of 18,412

It doesn't automatically turn off but enters low power mode, indicated with the OP SR LED being the only LED lit as you can see on your photo. If you want to dim the light, press the two DX buttons together.

Note auto low power mode is entered when the input is digital silence for ten minutes.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #8,835 of 18,412
Can i power from this poweradd both Hugo2 at 5V2A and Mscaler at 12v at the same time? Thanks. I plan to buy HMS for my Hugo2

Sorry to say no, as they are separate voltages. Also running these two off the same power supply will defeat the galvanic isolation between the two.

The examples above where people are powering an HMS and an OptoDX send unit from the same unit may be OK because they both are separated from the DAC by an optical link. However running both the OptoDX Send and Recieve units from the same power supply is not recommended as it will also defeat the galvanic isolation between the two, which is the whole point of having the Opto DX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back