Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 27, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #8,026 of 18,518
But I am a bit surprised to read that TT2 also seems to suffer from these problems?

Didn't Rob recently say that the supercaps in TT2 would take care of all such problems?
You mention Mojo versus your TT2/HMS. But if you use your TT2 on its own without the HMS is it still noisier than the Mojo on battery?

During a short test the TT2 seemed to be pretty well isolated and the hated electric noise in my room (which was hurting the HMS) could not affect it.

See this comment from Rob Watts about a month ago:
I use Poweradd pilot pro 2, set to 12V OP. I wouldn't bother with batteries for TT2 - unless you want to run it in the garden say - the supplied PSU works with no SQ change with it plugged out (you get 10 seconds disconnected to listen).

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #8,027 of 18,518
@zenlisten I have a very positive experience with isolation transformer. I can`t say that I had any problems with mains. Everything was great before I bought balanced mains unit, but it becomes clearly better after. I`m using Airlink BPS1502EU. It`s not an expensive audiophile unit in fancy case, but I love what it have done to sound of my system.

Transformer like this might help in your case if the noise is in the mains.

I have been using the FURMAN AC-210A E power conditioner which I bought because of the noise but it could not eliminate it. I am not familiar with these gears. Do you think that the Airlink could fight the noise better? Does it filter the power differently?

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #8,028 of 18,518
It has nothing to do with the furman, it works just fine. man plug n play is that so hard?

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #8,029 of 18,518
I have been using the FURMAN AC-210A E power conditioner which I bought because of the noise but it could not eliminate it. I am not familiar with these gears. Do you think that the Airlink could fight the noise better? Does it filter the power differently?
Furman is a choke filter of some kind. I had similar filter. Transformers like Airlink usually do better job with mains problems. It’s hard to me to fully explain difference in English, but airlink has a FAQ section at their website, which might help you:
https://airlinktransformers.com/blogs/balanced-power-supply-faqs

It’s not guaranteed that isolation transformer would solve your problem, but there is a good chance of it. Also, you can try to make a new separate mains line (from house input) for audio system. That would help to minimize interference from other electronics.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #8,030 of 18,518
Furman is an smp linear power supply. It should not detract nor really add to the system. Well in my case very dubious that any power chord like my perfect wave ac12 or power supply does anything to effect sq....I have that supply to boot, just as protection. and furman smp power bar linear as well. .but its not sound science so go ahead blow your brains out but....IMO. I won't speculate as to what folks are discussing cause it doesn't apply to me...

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #8,032 of 18,518
Sure, whatever

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #8,033 of 18,518
Having owned a Mojo (as well as one of the original Hugos and a TT before the current TT2 and Dave) my feeling is that maybe Mojos relative lack of transparency and also for me the apparent slightly different voicing of the Mojo compared to the TT2 might be disguising some of the issues to which you refer (although of course I agree that Mojo can be perfectly isolated by running off battery and using an optical source). I say this from my experience of comparing Dave to TT2 and where Dave's greater transparency can initially take a bit of getting used to compare to other softer sounding DACs such as TT2 but ultimately I find myself drawn to that greater transparency.

That's a fair point. These are quite different systems and it was oversimplification from my side to tell them apart based on a single aspect. (By the way the MojoPoly is playing the music from the internal SD card, the Poly is in Airplane Mode which means the wi-fi is turned off, only Bluetooth Low Energy is enabled and there is no RF noise as long as the phone is kept far away.)

I guess there are a lot of people who wouldn't care (most of them probably wouldn't come close to these forum) but what bothers me is this subtle electronic noise that still appears in this HMS/TT2 system (even though it got clearly better thanks to the WAVE cables and to this other wall socket). I was listening to this album I bought back in 2014 in 24/88 on hdtracks: 0093046750961_600.jpg

Thanks to the M Scaler it's finally amazing to listen to these mesmerising waves of human voice. But then sometimes these subtle electronic distortions occur and they sort of ruin the moment. I may have high expectations, maybe too much sensitivity, but what if these can be eliminated? I would like to try. :)

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #8,034 of 18,518
Warranty send it back.try another if it does the same thing. Return it move on. There are solutions that are plug n play

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #8,035 of 18,518
what bothers me is this subtle electronic noise that still appears in this HMS/TT2 system

The subtle electronic noise you mention is almost certainly not RF noise because the RF noise we refer is not audible in itself and only manifests itself by reducing the sound quality of the music (less dark, more brittle, more fatiguing etc).

If you can actually hear something then keep searching for the source, prime suspects are the power wifi extenders and the like which can produce audible noise even when there is no music playing.

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #8,036 of 18,518
Seems
The subtle electronic noise you mention is almost certainly not RF noise because the RF noise we refer is not audible in itself and only manifests itself by reducing the sound quality of the music (less dark, more brittle, more fatiguing etc).

If you can actually hear something then keep searching for the source, prime suspects are the power wifi extenders and the like which can produce audible noise even when there is no music playing.
Seems problem from mains . Isolating from mains ie feeding from 12 battery pack and listening through headphones should not give these electronic noise. If that so, the problem is not there in tt2 and HMS combo . Sometimes power fluctuations through earth can cause such noise. Try isolating earth pin from mains board by tape. This though unsafe but you can find the probable cause.

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #8,037 of 18,518
Try isolating earth pin from mains board by tape. This though unsafe but you can find the probable cause.

You mean already at the wall socket? The Chord PSUs don't have an earth pin.

Aug 27, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #8,038 of 18,518

Thanks for the clarification of RF noise, it was very helpful. So these subtle distortions are probably caused by something like the heating system or these power extenders. I actually used to have a pair of such network extenders and got rid of them specifically because of the Chord equipment. Around half a year earlier these extenders got confused a few times and I had to remove and replug them. Maybe somebody else in the house installed a similar pair? Will ask the neighbours.

Edit: These subtle noises are not audible when there is no music playing. Looks like only the M Scaler is affected and if isn't sending data to the DAC then it isn't sending noise either.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #8,039 of 18,518

I did not like the Furman in front of Dave and/or HMS. Any isolation transformer I tried led to better results. Especially HMS needs to be isolated well from mains, TT2 should not be the problem in your case.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #8,040 of 18,518
I doubt that there would be much audible difference between 1-2 million taps, but I'm sure some folk here will say differently, but from my perspective being an mscaler owner, I really doubt 2 million taps will sound twice as better as 1m taps. Even in blind tests I'm not sure if people would consistently be able to tell the difference between 1million and 2 million taps.

There comes a point in time where chasing numbers becomes just that, chasing a higher number just because it's attainable and nothing else.

There is 3 types of users.

1, freebie reviewers who speak a pile of schit because if they say x product is ****, there goes their free lunch. I don't give them the time of day because they are fake news. Point in hand, Darko, he proclaims omg buy Bartok it's so good, but yet he just bought a dave instead.

2, normal users, like most of the folk here, ( note I said most and not all ) and out of all those, I would believe maybe 20% of their reviews.

3, fanboi's. I don't give them the time of day because they say things like, "I can hear changes in music if I eat cheese". yup, thats how stupid they look.

When it comes to reviews of 2, 4 10 million taps if there is ever such a product, I forsee fun and games and bullschit and lies, with a tiny sprinkling of the truth from a handful of normal users.

I very much doubt that most folk will hear a difference between a 1, 2 or 4 or 10 million tap mscaler. There is only so much info you can extract from recordings.

It's like dac's supporting upto 768khz and dsd 512, at this point in time they are useless, well unless you have an mscaler, but even with one, does the mscaler at 768khz sound as good as a real music file that has been recorded professionally at 768khz ?

Thats my pov whether it's right or wrong.

I believe he had the chord dave review unit quite a while ago to keep but had to return the bartok back to dcs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back