Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 18, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #706 of 18,494
Of course any music file works: it's the streamer, server or computer that has the problem to translate the file into a digital stream that goes into a DAC. It doesn't matter what settings you use to rip the music or what file type you store the music or the compression settings in FLAC. Chord DACs don't see the file, they only see the stream of digital bits that the player produces when it reads the file.

HMS is just the first stage of a two-box DAC, with the second stage being DAVE, Qutest, Hugo 2 or Hugo TT 2.

At least I'll remember that until my dying days.

(Can't work out how I forgot.)

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #707 of 18,494
It's hard to misunderstand «it's just the headphone output» (...that's handicapped). And the added «...and I was referring to the first DX amp» could just stand for the fact that it will be the only DX amp with a headphone output. I can't believe that the pioneer model will have a hampered sound quality – apart from the lower power reserves compared to the following models.

It sounds like some design and product decisions have been made but not all. But I don’t think I know enough about them to draw conclusions, even from what Rob has said so far. Will the DX amps have volume controls? If not, why would you even want a headphone output? Maybe the first one (if you don’t count the TT2 as the first one, or perhaps as an “integrated” version), will be low enough power that some users may want to use for.a headphone.

Do we even know for sure that an mScaler and a DX is all you would need for reproduction? That makes sense, but where will the (digital) volume control be? Upstream on the source? It seems Rob would want more control over the quality of it than leaving it up to any old source implementation.

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #708 of 18,494
Do we even know for sure that an mScaler and a DX is all you would need for reproduction? That makes sense, but where will the (digital) volume control be? Upstream on the source? It seems Rob would want more control over the quality of it than leaving it up to any old source implementation.

Yes we do know that. The HMS is capable of sending volume instructions to the DX amp. The Blu Mk2 MScaler is however not capable of sending volume instructions to the DX amp so a Dave or similar is required to act as a volume control unless the DX amp has its own volume control, which it might do depending on the DX model.

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #709 of 18,494
Yes we do know that. The HMS is capable of sending volume instructions to the DX amp. The Blu Mk2 MScaler is however not capable of sending volume instructions to the DX amp so a Dave or similar is required to act as a volume control unless the DX amp has its own volume control, which it might do depending on the DX model.

Thanks, I see that now -the last two buttons on the right. It will be interesting to see what the final topology is.

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #710 of 18,494
I’m actually more excited over the etude and Bob Cordell’s feed forward designs. I’ll quote my Bell Labs friend
“Bob Cordell is an analog genius and it will be really cool to see and hear what he has thought of since his brilliant design in the 1980s.”
“Bob Cordell is a former Bell Labs engineer that designed the world’s best MOSFET amp in the 1980s. Cordell went on to design some of the world’s best opamps for two other companies. Franks has since hired Bob as a consultant on the new super amp project. I know Bob and if he uses the best and fastest new IRC/Vishay MOSFETs and uses his Feed Forward Error correction, it will be either the best or one of the best amps ever designed. Keep an eye out for this one… it could be a Spectral killer.”

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #711 of 18,494
Yes, not much has been written about the etude. I have heard one but it was in a crappy show environment and even though it was fed by Blu2 and a Dave the sound through some mediocre speakers (IMO of course) was not doing anything any justice. In fact it was a pity as I’m sure the amp is very good. I put one of my favourite CDs on so I know the music inside out.

I would like to hear the etude again properly.

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #712 of 18,494
This is a good question. I just checked on the Chord website. However there's no info on file source type.

It's derived from the Blu (something), or Blu Mk 2 or both. They are CD format. I read that the M Scaler can read files of 44.1KHz upwards. However if it can read FLAC, and other compressions is an interesting question.

I think I actually bought some albums as FLAC rips. Also I have ripped everything as FLAC anyway. ... I mean it doesn't matter to me if I have to re-rip albums, as I need FLAC for portable use anyway. I don't mind either having to rebuy the odd album that I bought in FLAC form. I may even have elected to buy WAV form anyway, if I had a choice. I can't remember exactly.

I'm not even sure if I would buy the M Scaler anyway, or not right away. I am just wondering right now with you, if compressed files will run on the M Scaler. (They are clever at Chord though, so fingers crossed.)

I guess this is what I'm after. I use music on my portable player and didn't want two copies of everything.

Of course any music file works: it's the streamer, server or computer that has the problem to translate the file into a digital stream that goes into a DAC. It doesn't matter what settings you use to rip the music or what file type you store the music or the compression settings in FLAC. Chord DACs don't see the file, they only see the stream of digital bits that the player produces when it reads the file.

HMS is just the first stage of a two-box DAC, with the second stage being DAVE, Qutest, Hugo 2 or Hugo TT 2.

Thanks, just didn't want to buy a mScaler and a steamer. There still has to be an optimal file to stream parameter. I haven't looked but is there such a thing as 96/24 wav? So flac had to work

At least I'll remember that until my dying days.

(Can't work out how I forgot.)

There's so much code running on so many devices at the same time...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #713 of 18,494
So is the M Scaler going to be optimal for competitive video games and movies or is this just mostly for music?

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #715 of 18,494
In fact
I believe there's an interpretive circuit that rejects sound that isn't music, ignoring it so to speak, as it were etc. (sigh)

Time flies. Is it 1st April already? :laughing:

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #716 of 18,494
I believe there's an interpretive circuit that rejects sound that isn't music, ignoring it so to speak, as it were etc. (sigh)

Whats the Video button on HMS for if it ignores non music ?

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #717 of 18,494
So is the M Scaler going to be optimal for competitive video games and movies or is this just mostly for music?
No, for competitive gaming even the shorter 104 ms delay in video mode will be too large. For movies, assuming you are either insensitive to lip sync issues, have a video device with large processing delays or a way to delay the video side of things, the M Scaler will be an excellent choice.

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #718 of 18,494
No, for competitive gaming even the shorter 104 ms delay in video mode will be too large. For movies, assuming you are either insensitive to lip sync issues, have a video device with large processing delays or a way to delay the video side of things, the M Scaler will be an excellent choice.

Thanks for a real answer instead of that smartass up there who completely missed the point of what I was getting at. (apologies if he was sincere)

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #719 of 18,494
Thanks for a real answer instead of that smartass up there who completely missed the point of what I was getting at. (apologies if he was sincere)
I think smartass is rather insulting to posters who do try and give you genuine feedback.
Rob has posted his viewpoint as the designer.
Only when the MScaler starts shipping in October (hopefully) will we be able to get user feedback, which confirms or otherwise, the best way to use etc.

Aug 18, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #720 of 18,494
Whats the Video button on HMS for if it ignores non music ?
Rob has posted about the fine details, so try a search for posts by Rob. Sorry if this sounds abrupt, but I have drunk a wee dram, so I do not want to post complete gibberish.
Otherwise i think it could be part of Chords top secret R&T, to introduce Artificial Intelligence into their apps, to delete references to user defined crap music/bands etc.
Always remember, many a true word spoken in jest. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back