Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 27, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #6,871 of 18,443
Not appreciate for all the chord threds else they wouldn't buy chord!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the original question was for a method of taking audio data from a computer as 384khz coax SPDIF to go INTO his existing M Scaler. Apart from two M Scalers in a row, do Chord make a specific device to do this?

I had to track down the original posts on my phone while eating lunch, so I may have skipped something.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #6,872 of 18,443
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the original question was for a method of taking audio data from a computer as 384khz coax SPDIF to go INTO his existing M Scaler. Apart from two M Scalers in a row, do Chord make a specific device to do this?

I had to track down the original posts on my phone while eating lunch, so I may have skipped something.

You were right!

I just got too excited! :wink:

I was wondering what on earth converting a 44.1 to 384 before BNC to HMS. Unless a true 384!

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #6,873 of 18,443
Into one of the bnc inputs on the mscaler was the query. Bnc out is simple. I think the usb to spdif convertors will just add unwanted RF noise for sure. As to how a hugo 2 could solve the original question i don't know. A second mscaler could be daisy chained like mutec gear is. But that would maybe cause possible unforeseen problems. So the question is what type of source carries the required sample rate over one bnc cable and whether there are any sonic improvements remains to be seen......

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #6,874 of 18,443
I would be very interested to learn, if there are any benefits by integrating the Mscaler into a system when it comes to electronic music?
I listen to a lot of Goa trance and Dubstep, some light Metal and guitar music, like Richie Kotzen and Ingwy Malmsteen.
Especially with heavy synthesized music, where, at the receiving end, nobody can really tell what the musician's idea was how the piece is supposed to sound, I can imagine the improvements of the Mscaler to be only marginally.
Or am I totally wrong here and the Mscaler even improves the sound quality of the above mentioned music styles?

May 27, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #6,875 of 18,443
With mscaler it is not only truth to the original analogue sound/signal that is improved but is also the definition of notes and the leading edge in particular. Bass is also an area that I noticed is very clearly improved. So mscaler benefits all music styles and not just ‘traditional’ music.

May 27, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #6,876 of 18,443
EDM electronic benefits from the timing and tempo that is determined by the mscaler. With fast electronic music it appears to move faster and with slow female jazz vocals it feels like a slow down in tempo. Of course the speed of the music is not altered but it makes you think how natural it sounds.

May 27, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #6,877 of 18,443
I would be very interested to learn, if there are any benefits by integrating the Mscaler into a system when it comes to electronic music?
I listen to a lot of Goa trance and Dubstep, some light Metal and guitar music, like Richie Kotzen and Ingwy Malmsteen.
Especially with heavy synthesized music, where, at the receiving end, nobody can really tell what the musician's idea was how the piece is supposed to sound, I can imagine the improvements of the Mscaler to be only marginally.
Or am I totally wrong here and the Mscaler even improves the sound quality of the above mentioned music styles?

If its poorly recorded with lots of kick drum clipping, white noise added (trance) and poorly done reverb it doesn’t do much. Like poorly recorded or badly mastered material of any genre. But with electronic music with high quality production and fine reverb it improves electronic music superbly. Production quality favourites of mine are the electronic/pop “The xx” or their offshoot “Jamie xx” or any deep house on the Seven Villas label. Wow! Or anything on the “All Day I Dream” label, or anything from Nick Warrens “The Soundgarden” label. Anything from Edu Imbernon, Pablo Bolivar, Agoria, Clarian. If its a quality recording with quality reverb and detailed subtle sounds, it has the same left to right spatial improvements as any 50s or 60s jazz

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #6,878 of 18,443
I don't have an M-scaler (yet) but I've found Mr. Watts' DACs unparalleled for electronica. They make other DACs sound sluggish. It's all in the timing, which M-scaler only improves upon.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #6,879 of 18,443
Just found a track that probably sounds incredible with an M-Scaler. (Am listening only with TT2; I don't have HMS.) …. Some awesome acoustic sounds.

From Katie Melua album, The House, track called, 'The One I Love is Gone'.

May 27, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #6,881 of 18,443
I remember Rob mentioning that older music from 50s/60s benefits the most from his DACs but there are some small improvements still to be had with modern recorded and mastered music, whether this is still worth the investment to those people who only like modern music i dont know.

May 27, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #6,882 of 18,443
sadly it is tough to make some of the compressed trash sound good no matter how good a DAC you listen to...in fact to be honest my dave/blu2 actually makes some of the crap almost unlistenable because it exposes all the warts....my jazz collection of acoustic stuff from the 60s/70s/80s and beyond sounds remarkable as does all well mastered material

May 28, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #6,883 of 18,443

I'm very much modern electrical. And I'm loving what M Scaler does. As I've posted before, main benefits for me are a) an utter utter lack of fatigue when listening on headphones, and b) the ability to listen to (and enjoy) very dense music.

So for a) – I can quite happily listen to music all day, no worries at all. I simply never get to the point where I need a break. Before M Scaler (and this is still with a decent pair of headphones) I'd get to perhaps a couple of hours before I'd need to headphones-off for a little while.

For b) – stuff like Jlin's 'Black Origami', Blanck Mass's 'World Eater', or pretty much anything off Nyege Nyege Tapes, that I found a really tough listen to before, are now actively pleasurable. There's just something about M Scaler's ability to unpack density that makes it really special.

Favourites from last year that've been given a new lease of life via M Scaler include Tirzah's 'Devotion', Khruangbin's 'Con Todo el Mundo' and Alva Noto's 'Unie Qav'.

And currently my go-to song for reminding myself why I've spend five figures on my desktop headphone rig is fka Twigs' 'Cellophane'. Absolutely stunning.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #6,884 of 18,443
main benefits for me are a) an utter utter lack of fatigue when listening on headphones

This is extraordinary IMO. I have listened to and enjoyed more music with Mscaler, H2 and Wave Cables in the past 7 months because of this exact thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back