Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #6,542 of 18,444
Tt sounds amazing when fed good bits.

Apr 14, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #6,543 of 18,444
1. Just like the Americans , choosing what to eat based on the calories labelled on the cans or bottles. :wink:

2. Yeah yeah, taps, measurements, etc... I love the lampazitor because there are five tubes selectors.

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #6,545 of 18,444
Hi All...

In the last week, I've upgraded my Hugo TT to a Hugo TT2 and MScaler. I love the combination - it really is a big step up.

Not only is there a soundstage and detail upgrade, but all that is said here about music being enjoyable is true. With my old set up, I'd be jumping around my library quite a bit - but with the TT2/Scaler, I find myself listening to whole albums again.

One of the unintended consequences is - with the TT2/Scaler, I'm no longer happy to go to the parts of my library that have lossy files. It's not that they sound bad in the new set up, it's that they just don't sound as good as Redbook or HiRes.

I ripped a lot of this stuff 15 years ago and have long since let go of the CDs. So I'm rebuying second hand and re-ripping as FLAC with no compression. I'm enjoying the project.

But... some of what I want to re-rip is only on vinyl - mainly 70's jazz influenced sound tracks. I have a USB ripping turntable and getting ready to rip some vinyl - the turntable is a Sony PS-HX500 which can rip to DSD 5.6Mhz. I'm not going to rip to DSD.

My question - do I get more out of the MScaler if I rip vinyl to 16/44khz, or should I go hires? (24/96khz or 24/192hz)

Is there something . about how the MScaler works that says I will get a better result with 16/44khz over hires? Is there a limitation in my £500 USB turntable that says the hires won't be quite hires and therefore best to stick to Redbook?

The only other variable here is that I do 20% of my listening on the go with an A&K SP1000. I want what best for my main setup (TT2/HMS) but if the SP1000 changes things - please let me know.

Advice much appreciated!

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #6,546 of 18,444
Hi All...

In the last week, I've upgraded my Hugo TT to a Hugo TT2 and MScaler. I love the combination - it really is a big step up.

Not only is there a soundstage and detail upgrade, but all that is said here about music being enjoyable is true. With my old set up, I'd be jumping around my library quite a bit - but with the TT2/Scaler, I find myself listening to whole albums again.

One of the unintended consequences is - with the TT2/Scaler, I'm no longer happy to go to the parts of my library that have lossy files. It's not that they sound bad in the new set up, it's that they just don't sound as good as Redbook or HiRes.

I ripped a lot of this stuff 15 years ago and have long since let go of the CDs. So I'm rebuying second hand and re-ripping as FLAC with no compression. I'm enjoying the project.

But... some of what I want to re-rip is only on vinyl - mainly 70's jazz influenced sound tracks. I have a USB ripping turntable and getting ready to rip some vinyl - the turntable is a Sony PS-HX500 which can rip to DSD 5.6Mhz. I'm not going to rip to DSD.

My question - do I get more out of the MScaler if I rip vinyl to 16/44khz, or should I go hires? (24/96khz or 24/192hz)

Is there something . about how the MScaler works that says I will get a better result with 16/44khz over hires? Is there a limitation in my £500 USB turntable that says the hires won't be quite hires and therefore best to stick to Redbook?

The only other variable here is that I do 20% of my listening on the go with an A&K SP1000. I want what best for my main setup (TT2/HMS) but if the SP1000 changes things - please let me know.

Advice much appreciated!
If I were ripping vinyl, I'd do it at a higher rate like 24-96. And, yes, the dynamic range of vinyl is -60 to -70db. But, the timing should sound better. I have a few albums from CD that I heard in a high-res vinyl rip. I've heard clearer transient improvement, such as guitar strumming or even picking. I'm sure others will chime in with more chops than I have.

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #6,547 of 18,444
Digital to vinyl to digital. Hmmmm. Aren’t most vinyl masters digital first? IMHO vinyl is inferior in every way except for the sleeve art. The notes are even better in pdf.

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #6,548 of 18,444
Digital to vinyl to digital. Hmmmm. Aren’t most vinyl masters digital first? IMHO vinyl is inferior in every way except for the sleeve art. The notes are even better in pdf.

There are some vinyls which are simply not available in a digital format, usually because of their age. In that case it is unlikely that digital was used in the recording gear. Most likely it was valves and analogue tapes.

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #6,549 of 18,444

As Triode User correctly says - these are for rips where there is no digital source (or reasonably priced digital source)

My question still stands - for a vinyl rip, will the MScaler do better with 16/44 or 24/96?

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #6,550 of 18,444
96 kHz might be good enough, but 192 kHz will be even a tiny bit better (also for sending it through the M Scaler). Let's not forget the ADC – it should be up to the task (also with respect to higher sampling rates).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back