Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 12, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #616 of 18,478
Are the dual BNC cables from M-scaler to DAVE female to female or female to male?

Looks like the jacks are female on each device so you would need dual male to male BNC cables.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #617 of 18,478
Anyone familiar with the device below? What does it do and what does it cost??

REF 10 master clock? Some say it improves on the M-scaler with DAVE but if it just eliminates jitter and if the M-scaler/DAVE combo is immune to jitter then how could the REF 10 add further to the SQ??

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #618 of 18,478
The MUTEC REF 10 is an audiophile reference master clock generating 10 MHz signals with industry-leading low phase noise (i.e. jitter) to significantly improve digital playback systems.

Not needed at all for chord dacs.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #619 of 18,478

REF 10 master clock? Some say it improves on the M-scaler with DAVE but if it just eliminates jitter and if the M-scaler/DAVE combo is immune to jitter then how could the REF 10 add further to the SQ??

Chord DACs have no external clock feature. All clocking is done inside each box. So purchasing any external clock would be wasted money, currently, if you intend to only clock Chord products with it.

Regards
GG

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #620 of 18,478

Makes quite a difference in my system, using a master clock. Once you hear it, you won't want to take it out.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #621 of 18,478
Warranty, is that a plus or minus? If purchase there they have to honor warranty?

I would imagine it would be a pain given that Chord’s sales are done through a dealer network and any Warranty issues are usually done with the local dealer within the region in which the device was purchased. Given that you’ll be an ocean away I reckon this would be difficult to do. That said, you may want to contact the dealer, or the North American distributor, or Chord themselves to ask if / how warranty will be handled (if ever required) with an out of region purchase.

I’m just thinking of potential issues and I have no clue one way or the other what the consequences of purchasing out of region truly are, if any.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #622 of 18,478
Makes quite a difference in my system, using a master clock. Once you hear it, you won't want to take it out.

Unfortunately this is one of those issues which is very difficult to discuss and reach an agreed conclusion on a forum. We have you saying it makes a difference and that you like that difference. We have the designer of the kit saying that he reclocks the signal and so external reclocking is not achieving anything. Also, if I recall correctly, suggesting that any difference in sound may be due to noise introduced by an external reclocker.

It is probably best just to rejoice in you having something which you like and for me to have another YMMV sandwich.

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #623 of 18,478
Unfortunately this is one of those issues which is very difficult to discuss and reach an agreed conclusion on a forum. We have you saying it makes a difference and that you like that difference. We have the designer of the kit saying that he reclocks the signal and so external reclocking is not achieving anything. Also, if I recall correctly, suggesting that any difference in sound may be due to noise introduced by an external reclocker.

It's difficult to discuss here for it rides against the Chord gospel. Anything that is portrayed as improvement in SQ outside a battery, labtop and toslink is chalked up to noise. Plenty of other forums, like CA, have much to discuss on the matter without being confined by the word. Have to follow your own ears.

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #624 of 18,478
I meant that any discussion of perceived sound improvement is difficult to discuss when we have a person saying he hears an improvement but we do not know what that is because we have not heard it in your system and so cannot comment. That is really what I meant.

Also, I have fooled myself before that a change is an improvement. Most recently I thought the sound of the Blu2 was better with a fewer number of ferrites (15 instead of 20) because it had more detail, more soundstage, more space. Then after a while I decided that was a false improvement and put the ferrites back.

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #626 of 18,478
Warranty, is that a plus or minus? If purchase there they have to honor warranty?

Chord always honour their Warranty's no matter where in the World you are...

Warranty periods for products are as follows:- Mojo/Poly is 12 months... Hugo2, HugoTT & Qute/Qutest is 3 years... pretty much everything else is 5 years.

The Warranty period is the same worldwide but the warranty is only valid in the region of purchase - i.e. you need to return your product to the retailer where it was purchased to get a warranty repair.

if you need any further advice regarding Warranty's please contact Chord direct at: info@chordelectronics.co.uk

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #627 of 18,478
And just on this, if you personally export something and then need to send it back to a dealer in the UK it would be wise to retain a paper trail for the original personal export process and payments of any duty.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #628 of 18,478
Rob i understand the mscaler comes with generic bnc cables. From the blu thread last year am i right that you prefer RG58 50 ohm to RG59 75 ohm? Would you recommend 1m or 2m for RG58 50 ohm (used with H2/Scaler) and to confirm RG58 50ohm impedance is okay due to the glitch circuitry on the SPDIF inputs of hugo2 when used with mscaler. Therefore true 75 ohm matched is not mandatory. They sell for £1.61 each but can you point us towards anything better at this type of price. The site is CPC Farnell for all here. Many thanks MK.

If you are going to buy a RF cable, make sure it is indeed 75 ohms, as this is the OP impedance of the M scaler. That said, it works perfectly well without 75 ohms, but I don't recommend not using 75 ohms, as there is a risk it will sound worse.

Hugo M scaler will come with 1m 75 ohm BNC/BNC.

I"m going to slightly rephrase my question here. Let's say I have a headphone amplifier I am very happy with and have no interest in replacing. Let's say I am considering a new DAC to add into my system.

Let's say I'm considering the M Scaler, specifically due to synergy and compatibility to 768kHz with Chord DACs. Is there any technical advantage for me to choose a DAVE over the Qutest? Chord claims it is the same 1M taps and 768kHz resolution no matter which BNC compatible product the M Scaler feeds.

Are the tap differences between the Qutest and DAVE relevant when being fed from the M Scaler, since the M Scaler itself supports several multiples of taps & resolution beyond what either DAVE or Qutest support? Am I "losing more taps" by feeding the Qutest over the DAVE? Or will the result be the same, again considering I already have a headphone amplifier I am very happy with and have no intention to replace.

May be a question for Rob.

You can think of an M scaler as something that converts all your music to 705.6 kHz recordings; and the real question would be if you had 705.6 kHz native recordings, would all DACs sound the same? And of course you would answer no, as the DAC conversion, and the analogue is very different.

Changing from a Qutest to a Dave is immediately apparent whilst using an M scaler, and I am afraid it is not a small difference. The analogue on Dave is very much more advanced, with very much more expensive components, plus it has a 20 element pulse array and better passive components. When you plug a Dave in you are rewarded with a step up in transparency, depth and detail resolution. You can see it too on the measurements, with 30 times lower distortion.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #629 of 18,478
I would imagine it would be a pain given that Chord’s sales are done through a dealer network and any Warranty issues are usually done with the local dealer within the region in which the device was purchased. Given that you’ll be an ocean away I reckon this would be difficult to do. That said, you may want to contact the dealer, or the North American distributor, or Chord themselves to ask if / how warranty will be handled (if ever required) with an out of region purchase.

I’m just thinking of potential issues and I have no clue one way or the other what the consequences of purchasing out of region truly are, if any.

I doubt I can hold out to get a TT 2 until next August so if anything this will be for the mScaler. Without batteries or other replaceable parts, a complete failure of unit would be the issue?

Chord always honour their Warranty's no matter where in the World you are...

Warranty periods for products are as follows:- Mojo/Poly is 12 months... Hugo2, HugoTT & Qute/Qutest is 3 years... pretty much everything else is 5 years.

The Warranty period is the same worldwide but the warranty is only valid in the region of purchase - i.e. you need to return your product to the retailer where it was purchased to get a warranty repair.

if you need any further advice regarding Warranty's please contact Chord direct at: info@chordelectronics.co.uk

Thanks!

And just on this, if you personally export something and then need to send it back to a dealer in the UK it would be wise to retain a paper trail for the original personal export process and payments of any duty.

I'm pretty good with saving paper. Scanned and physical documents go in our fire safe. Considering getting a IoSafe to make back-up easier.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #630 of 18,478
[QUOTE="You can think of an M scaler as something that converts all your music to 705.6 kHz recordings; and the real question would be if you had 705.6 kHz native recordings, would all DACs sound the same? And of course you would answer no, as the DAC conversion, and the analogue is very different.[/QUOTE]

Hi Rob.

On this point, as you know there are many good recording engineers/labels who record only in DSD.
What happens when the M-scaler converts DSD to PCM 705.6/768kHz?
Are the timing errors transposed and therefore smearing of leading edges of notes etc. persist even after M-scaler?
Do you therefore hear a softening of the sound and reduced depth?
If the master is in DSD, is there any way to know if an equivalent PCM file would sound better if recorded in PCM format in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back