Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 12, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #601 of 18,478
Great. Money saved. Rock the Casbah!!:guitar:

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #602 of 18,478
Rob said yes, the mscaler comes with bnc cables to hook up to ?
It may be that your Audio Sanctuary will come up with something close to release. I bought a couple of co-ax to wire my FiiO X5 to the Hugo1. Or, if as I say, I manage to get MS, I'll probably grab something from the Dragon's den in Carry NC.

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #603 of 18,478
Will you go down the mscaler route UE? I need to convert more budding disciples..then we can have on forum synchronised scaling sessions.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #605 of 18,478
Is there any advantage of using the DAVE over the Qutest with the M Scaler? Doesn't M Scaler upsample using 1M taps either way? What would be the technical difference between using Qutest over DAVE with an M Scaler over BNC up the chain?

I"m going to slightly rephrase my question here. Let's say I have a headphone amplifier I am very happy with and have no interest in replacing. Let's say I am considering a new DAC to add into my system.

Let's say I'm considering the M Scaler, specifically due to synergy and compatibility to 768kHz with Chord DACs. Is there any technical advantage for me to choose a DAVE over the Qutest? Chord claims it is the same 1M taps and 768kHz resolution no matter which BNC compatible product the M Scaler feeds.

Are the tap differences between the Qutest and DAVE relevant when being fed from the M Scaler, since the M Scaler itself supports several multiples of taps & resolution beyond what either DAVE or Qutest support? Am I "losing more taps" by feeding the Qutest over the DAVE? Or will the result be the same, again considering I already have a headphone amplifier I am very happy with and have no intention to replace.

May be a question for Rob.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #606 of 18,478
I"m going to slightly rephrase my question here. Let's say I have a headphone amplifier I am very happy with and have no interest in replacing. Let's say I am considering a new DAC to add into my system.

Let's say I'm considering the M Scaler, specifically due to synergy and compatibility to 768kHz with Chord DACs. Is there any technical advantage for me to choose a DAVE over the Qutest? Chord claims it is the same 1M taps and 768kHz resolution no matter which BNC compatible product the M Scaler feeds.

Are the tap differences between the Qutest and DAVE relevant when being fed from the M Scaler, since the M Scaler itself supports several multiples of taps & resolution beyond what either DAVE or Qutest support? Am I "losing more taps" by feeding the Qutest over the DAVE? Or will the result be the same, again considering I already have a headphone amplifier I am very happy with and have no intention to replace.

DAVE has a 20-element pulse array DAC vs Qutest 10-element pulse array DAC. There are probably more product differentiation features that make Chord put the DAVE at the top of their DAC product line.

Regards
GG

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #607 of 18,478
Interesting point though. If dave+scaler/qutest+scaler are used only as dacs to a headamp.

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #608 of 18,478

That's an interesting question. What elements of the original Chord DAC are in use when the M Scaler is doing the heavy lifting. Do those 20 pulse arrays add something over the 10 of Hugo2/Qtest? The amplification from the DAVE is supposed to make a difference, although I haven't heard it yet.
Anyone have an idea? I'm ignorant about this. Just what does the DAC contribute to the M Scaler process?

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #609 of 18,478
Dac contributes WTA stage2 256 times oversampling plus analogue and conversion to analogue stages (pulse array dacs) and noise shapers etc. The Mscaler contributes WTA1 16FS with 1M taps (replacing WTA stage one in dac). The dac topology is crucial. Very simple description. Of course the dac actually upsamples far greater than 256 times up to 104MHz i think. And then the simple amplification with very simple resistors in path to maintain transparency. Think of it this way with the mscaler the dac now has a far more accurate set of digital information by which the final analogue conversion stages are now completed.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #610 of 18,478
Ooooookkkkaaaaaayyyyyy!

Wife has decided she wants to go to London for her birthday next summer. So what's the advantages/disadvantages to buying a TT 2 and or an mScaler in London and bringing it back to the US?

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #612 of 18,478
Ooooookkkkaaaaaayyyyyy!

Wife has decided she wants to go to London for her birthday next summer. So what's the advantages/disadvantages to buying a TT 2 and or an mScaler in London and bringing it back to the US?

Warranty

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #613 of 18,478

Warranty, is that a plus or minus? If purchase there they have to honor warranty?

I don't know if this is right but if I buy there but it's sent to me (exported) it's VAT (20%) exempt but I have to pay duty (5.3%)...?

Screenshot_20180812-224917.png

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #615 of 18,478
Male to male.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back