Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 8, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #451 of 18,533
Only MQA encoded files need that "unfolding". And of course it will be affected if the unfolding is done in hardware or software level.

Regarding FLAC encoding. Doesn't matter how you encode your FLAC files as long as you use the Subset format. Once the file is encoded, the decoding process is exactly the same either you choose level 0-8 or anything inbetween.

I use this options to get the maximum compression with Subset limitations:

Code:
flac --ignore-chunk-sizes -8 --best -ep -V

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #453 of 18,533
What's the current or power needed/recommended for MScaler in case we purchase a third party power supply? Thanks
Think it’s 12-15v... Rob used a portable power pack for laptops with it.

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #454 of 18,533
We who have heard an MScaler at half throttle know that it is not really worth the expense.
Please clarify what you mean by half throttle and the implication that for some the M-upscaler is not worth the expense. Are you implying that even with DAVE or HUGO2 there may not be a perceived didfence in immediate sound quality using the Upsacaler to justify the additional investment?? Is the improvement really as subtle as the various filters on the HUGO2. I am in the group that cannot discern any significant changes with the various options on the HUGO2 but can hear the improvement from HUGO2 to DAVE.

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #455 of 18,533
Please clarify what you mean by half throttle and the implication that for some the M-upscaler is not worth the expense. Are you implying that even with DAVE or HUGO2 there may not be a perceived didfence in immediate sound quality using the Upsacaler to justify the additional investment?? Is the improvement really as subtle as the various filters on the HUGO2. I am in the group that cannot discern any significant changes with the various options on the HUGO2 but can hear the improvement from HUGO2 to DAVE.

I believe @Triode User refers to the scenario where Blu2 is used at 0.5Million taps instead of 1M. Many, including Rob Watts, have found that the step from 0.5M to 1M taps is where the M-Scaler magic really happens.

Mojo users are limited to 0.5M by design, while Hugo2 / Qutest users can achieve 1M taps with 2xBNC cables and a cheap adapter. TT2 and DAVE owners can use the dual BNC connectors straight away with 2x BNC cables to enjoy 1M taps.

Hope this helps!

edit: as @dawktah2 pointed out (thanks!) the Qutest has dual BNC, so the adapter is only needed for the Hugo2

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #456 of 18,533
I believe @Triode User refers to the scenario where Blu2 is used at 0.5Million taps instead of 1M. Many, including Rob Watts, have found that the step from 0.5M to 1M taps is where the M-Scaler magic really happens.

Mojo users are limited to 0.5M by design, while Hugo2 / Qutest users can achieve 1M taps with 2xBNC cables and a cheap adapter. TT2 and DAVE owners can use the dual BNC connectors straight away with 2x BNC cables to enjoy 1M taps.

Hope this helps!

Exactly that. Thanks for clarifying my sloppy language!

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #457 of 18,533
@Triode User as a zenith se owner, what do you say, is a £5000 source, producing a better audio stream than a £500 laptop with an optical out ?

If so, why did you pay so much for a pimped source?

But more importantly, how can it sound better if bits is bits..... and all software is playing ‘bit-perfext’?

Ps, can you use optical from the zenith se?

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #458 of 18,533
A dedicated pc is not crappy server. Any dedicated server running Roon is a dedicated mini Pc
From my limited tests not all computers are as quiet as others, nor have dedicated architecture for such a process.

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #460 of 18,533
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #461 of 18,533
No I haven’t, I’m good found an excellent solution.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ant...unofficial-guide-down-the-rabbit-hole.851997/

Went through the process of discovery, no I’m no diy guy, over a year ago.
You can see that streaming Pc here, and feel free to still think PC is bad.

There are other builds for dedicated PC. However, for M-Scaler and Chord products, it is best to stay within Chord system.

It is already mentioned that PC can not do what M-Scaler do

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #462 of 18,533
@Triode User as a zenith se owner, what do you say, is a £5000 source, producing a better audio stream than a £500 laptop with an optical out ?
If so, why did you pay so much for a pimped source?
But more importantly, how can it sound better if bits is bits..... and all software is playing ‘bit-perfext’?
Ps, can you use optical from the zenith se?

Well . . . . . . Bit are bits as you say.

But for me it is all the other crap that gets into the cables that does the damage when it gets into the analogue stages of the DAC. And that makes a big difference to my ears. Rob Watts is clear that the use of optical cables stops everything else from getting into the DAC but talk to Innuos and they say that they prefer USB to optical and hence why their servers use USB (they dont have optical). I admit I have not used a laptop for a while but certainly RW is happy that his laptop, used in the way he has it set up, is fine and equal to anything. I dont have a laptop so I would have had to buy one and I'm not sure I wanted one in my listening room. Instead I decided to buy a quality dedicated server that does auto ripping and produces a good audio stream. It sits unobtrusively in my listening room and is easy to use. So I was buying something based on other factors apart from just pure audio performance. Having said that I have been very pleased with the SE. I have also heard the Innuos demonstration where they play the Zenith SE into a Dave and compare that to the Innuos Statement into the same Dave. There was a clear and obvious improvement when going to the Statement despite the bits of the music stream being unchanged. That improvement due to the Statement was not at all subtle. On the other hand, when I tried the same demo with the Blu Mk2 MScaler in the system and using my WAVE BNC cables between Blu2 and Dave the difference between the SE and the Statement was less compelling. I still don't know whether that was the Blu2 effect or my WAVE cable which were filtering the crap out before it could get into the Dave DAC (there just wasn't time so that is an experiment for another day).

So, yes, the bits are the same bits but . . . . . . .

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #463 of 18,533
You can see that streaming Pc here, and feel free to still think PC is bad.

There are other builds for dedicated PC. However, for M-Scaler and Chord products, it is best to stay within Chord system.

It is already mentioned that PC can not do what M-Scaler do
what I think is moot, what I found is in that thread. Far better.

Yes chord is trying to create an eco structure for sure. Will m scaler supplant any and all music servers? Will all servers owners must buy an mscaler? Time will tell. I’m in no rush to make a decision.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #464 of 18,533
I guess I'm lost now, what does galvanic isolation do then?

Are people ripping FLAC compressed or uncompressed? I am re-ripping collection but had been doing it compressed. I guess if its a favorite album I'll do it uncompressed. Unless it doesn't matter (waiting responses.)
I rip to .FLAC regardless. I like the saving of space, and I think my computer/DAP/DACs can handle the processing.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #465 of 18,533
Dealer where I did audition was suggesting that there is a potential difference between FLAC compressed vs. uncompressed. Basically he said jitter can be introduced when compressed file is unfolded. I was just under the impression if it was ripped without errors you were fine.
Frankly, I just don't believe or hear a difference. When does the persuit of perfection become anal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back