Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 13, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #4,321 of 18,495
Yes, exactly. I would like to see some good user-selectable lipsync settings in all software players and hardware devices (TVs etc.). Everything would be perfect then.

It’s quite easy to delay audio, but it’s harder to delay video. Some DVD/BluRay players let you do it, as does J River Media Center for ripped DVDs/BDs but that doesn’t help you with broadcast or streamed TV, alas.

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #4,322 of 18,495
Has anyone not had to use the video button while watching TV? I would love the full million taps without the lip sync issues
It's completely out of sync and unwatchable without video mode or some device or computer program that let's you adjust for the sync so you can use 1m taps.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #4,323 of 18,495
A new quality of the HMS musical presentation i'm noticing very clearly more and more. with female vocals with longer vocal sung notes that are sung in one breath with passthru the decay and ending comes quickly and abruptly sounding unnatural to the extent that the final human reverb, echo, vibrato of the voice tails off into silence artificially. with the HMS i'm noticing across a variety of genres that with the described effect on female vocals that decay of the human voice exhibits the following qualities, 1) much longer time for the decay almost never ending into what can be described as an auditory fractal pattern creating an ultrarealistic image of the female singer as the volume lowers into empty space, 2) the vibrato of the female voice as it decays lasts so much longer, and this organic natural effect did not exist with passthru. The overall effect with HMS is that listening to female vocals now induces that "wow" effect in me and the music sounds so real.

I also noticed that sometimes the tempo of the music slows down but it isn't in the traditional sense. in fact initially on passthru the timing was not completely 100% accurate and the reduction in tempo with hms actually portrays the real life presentation of vocals/instruments in a live unamplified acoustic type music session. the mscaler brings it back a little and with the addition of extra microdetailing you get that association with the master tape presentation now synonymous with hms.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #4,324 of 18,495
In the Watts Up thread I recently posted a link to a video by Pursuit Perfect System of the first part of the Rob Watts talk in November this year at the Chord Dealer Nintronics open day in the UK.

Here is the second part of the talk with specific MScaler content and also a link to the first part. For anyone who could not get, including me, these are great videos. I think Pursuit Perfect System are also going to post videos of the Chord systems on show that day.

Rob Watts talk at Nintronics Open Day, UK. Link to part one.
Rob Watts talk at Nintronics Open Day, UK. Link to part two (MScaler specific).

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #4,325 of 18,495
A new quality of the HMS musical presentation i'm noticing very clearly more and more. with female vocals with longer vocal sung notes that are sung in one breath with passthru the decay and ending comes quickly and abruptly sounding unnatural to the extent that the final human reverb, echo, vibrato of the voice tails off into silence artificially. with the HMS i'm noticing across a variety of genres that with the described effect on female vocals that decay of the human voice exhibits the following qualities, 1) much longer time for the decay almost never ending into what can be described as an auditory fractal pattern creating an ultrarealistic image of the female singer as the volume lowers into empty space, 2) the vibrato of the female voice as it decays lasts so much longer, and this organic natural effect did not exist with passthru. The overall effect with HMS is that listening to female vocals now induces that "wow" effect in me and the music sounds so real.

I also noticed that sometimes the tempo of the music slows down but it isn't in the traditional sense. in fact initially on passthru the timing was not completely 100% accurate and the reduction in tempo with hms actually portrays the real life presentation of vocals/instruments in a live unamplified acoustic type music session. the mscaler brings it back a little and with the addition of extra microdetailing you get that association with the master tape presentation now synonymous with hms.

As someone who listens to a lot of female vocals, I am quite tempted to add HMS to my DAVE..

Dec 14, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #4,326 of 18,495
Just set up my m scaler minutes ago, and what really floored me was the clarity of the vocals first and foremost. I played “Thunder Road” by the Boss on Qello and my jaw literally dropped while listening. I could honestly say I felt like I was in the front row, the presentation was that amazing... and the source was just standard CD quality to begin which speaks the precision of the m scaler, as it’s chiseling diamonds from coal.

The other amazing quality of the m scaler is the way it can reign in boomy or flabby bass tracks, which can sometimes be an issue with my old school pre-Phi Abyss. “Don’t Do Me Like That” by Petty never packed such a tight punch. I bought Dave and never thought I could hear music better. I’ve never been happier being wrong.

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #4,327 of 18,495
Just set up my m scaler minutes ago, and what really floored me was the clarity of the vocals first and foremost. I played “Thunder Road” by the Boss on Qello and my jaw literally dropped while listening. I could honestly say I felt like I was in the front row, the presentation was that amazing... and the source was just standard CD quality to begin which speaks the precision of the m scaler, as it’s chiseling diamonds from coal.

The other amazing quality of the m scaler is the way it can reign in boomy or flabby bass tracks, which can sometimes be an issue with my old school pre-Phi Abyss. “Don’t Do Me Like That” by Petty never packed such a tight punch. I bought Dave and never thought I could hear music better. I’ve never been happier being wrong.
I will find out shortly when my hugo TT 2 comes today,only got 40 minutes to wait now happy days

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #4,328 of 18,495
In the Watts Up thread I recently posted a link to a video by Pursuit Perfect System of the first part of the Rob Watts talk in November this year at the Chord Dealer Nintronics open day in the UK.

Here is the second part of the talk with specific MScaler content and also a link to the first part. For anyone who could not get, including me, these are great videos. I think Pursuit Perfect System are also going to post videos of the Chord systems on show that day.

Rob Watts talk at Nintronics Open Day, UK. Link to part one.
Rob Watts talk at Nintronics Open Day, UK. Link to part two (MScaler specific).

In the video Rob mentions being able to listen to music for long periods of time through mscaler compared to without mscaler. This is also my experience and I am listening to, enjoying and purchasing more music (CDs). I love it.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #4,329 of 18,495
I had a look at final cut pro x for macs to make, mix and master your own tunes, electronica etc. i wondered whether investing time into learning it and producing music at home might be another avenue to explore. then i thought no.....let them make it and i'll reproduce their recordings with my chord gear and just enjoy listening to it while i read the science behind it on headfi and put my feet up and relax. fantastic video on mscaler theory by Rob. +1

upload_2018-12-14_10-3-36.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #4,330 of 18,495
Is this right for the lights on m scaler? Video off purple for USB then when playing music as in a different album dx op changes from say red to yellow, don't know if by pass is on or off? I missed the graph in the manual, got it on white so that's right, red is by passIMG_20181214_103431.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #4,331 of 18,495
Is this right for the lights on m scaler? Video off purple for USB then when playing music as in a different album dx op changes from say red to yellow, don't know if by pass is on or off?

White indicates manually selected USB input, the purple colour you have indicates automatic selection of input.. If in doubt, read the manual . . . . . . . or maybe read it anyway.
Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 10.41.47.png

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #4,333 of 18,495
That's the bit I missed in the manual mate, had to move the screen to the right on my phone, is automatic still OK, doesn't affect sound quality?

Of course it is OK and does not affect sound quality. I just have mine on manual so I can go between different sources and know exactly which one I am getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back