Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 12, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #4,291 of 18,495
Can anyone confirm or deny a small problem that I’m having.

I wanted to use my iphone with the mscaler and qobuz, so I plug the apple cck cable into my iphone 6S, I then plug the mscaler usb cable into it and then plug it into the back of the mscaler. Everything smooth so far.

I then start qobuz app on my phone and start playing hires songs, but the mscaler see’s it as 44.khz, not 96 or 192.

I have all options for cellular and wifi set at upto 24 bit 192khz, I even deactivated cellular and just used wifi alone, same thing is happening, the mscaler is picking up the track as being 44.1khz.

I now unplug hugo so it’s by itself, and I plug the usb cable into hugo and it’s still 44.1khz.

Now I unplug the cck cable from my phone and stick it into my ipads tightning port, and hires suddenly works perfect, any ideas why it works on my old ipad, but not on my iphone.

Using iphone 6S+ and an old ipad air 1st gen.

The phone is capable of hires as hires works with every other app except qobuz.

Does anyone have any ideas, or can you do a test to see if this is a wider problem.

Edit.

It’s a qobuz update that broke hires, as i updated my phone earlier this morning and it stopped giving me hires streaming. I tried hires on my ipad and it worked, but that was with an older version Qobuz.

I saw that my ipad hadn’t yet updated to the latest qobuz, so I manually updated it and now hires streaming is broken on my ipad aswell now.

Qobuz will no doubt fix it.

Don’t update to the newest qobuz ios app if you like to stream hires tracks, as hires streaming is not working.
It's the M scaler you bought from China! 2000 pounds for a brand new M scaler doesn't add up

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #4,292 of 18,495
for the first time I am trying Campfire Audio Andromeda out of HMS-H2 combination. listening to: https://tidal.com/album/71989684

this is next level...

I'm not too familiar with the Campfire Audio IEMs, but I read somewhere the Andromeda does not have a crossover? Curious how IEMs scale with the HMS in the mix with and without a crossover. Especially the HMS-H2 combo...

The Etymotics and Warbler Prelude have no crossover so wondering if they scale more than their crossover counterparts.

If your other Campfire Audio IEMs have a crossover to compare, would be interesting.

If Andromeda has a crossover, disregard.

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4,294 of 18,495
There is no consensus about this. I think that neither the Dave-integrated headamp nor my iFi Pro iCan (from Dave) does. I would like to have a mix of both of these headamps. I use mostly HMS>Dave>iFi Pro iCan > Susvara these days and love it / perhaps prefer it over the standalone Dave with Susvara. But with Sennheiser HD800, I prefer the standalone Dave and not the iFi...

See the table with the 1st column MIDI Note: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_frequency
-- "12Hz=Lowest organ note, 16Hz=lowest note for tuba, large pipe organs, Bösendorfer Imperial grand piano"
Thank you for the reply and the info.

I've a feeling that Sus needs a power factory to unleash it (like the ex model HE6) and a 2W DAVE is surely not enough.

May be we need someone to confirm that the 12 Hz note may be played realistically through HMS + DAVE. This is a check of the the quality of the gears. For a 12 Hz signal, the wavelength is more than 25m in room temperature. Hence multiple reflections will already occur in a normal room and make it sounds different from what one heard from a cathedra, I guess.

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #4,295 of 18,495
I've been resisting the Susvaras despite hearing many good things about them because of their build quality. After trying so hard to love the Abyss Phi for a year, I knew I just wasn't invited to the party so traded them for the Susvaras. I can attest to the HMS, Dave, and Susvara, you just need a decent amp. I drive mine with PHA-1 and GS-X, but iFi Pro iCan I hear is pretty great. The Susvaras tend to make you hate every other hp you own... I don't even know where my Utopias are right now and don't even care.
Just curious:
1. Why was it so hard to love the Abyss Phi?
2. Why "Susvaras tend to make you hate every other hp"? What's inside the Sus or what quality does it offer for such a strong statement?

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #4,296 of 18,495
It's the M scaler you bought from China! 2000 pounds for a brand new M scaler doesn't add up

That's not far out of line with what I'm hearing from local dealers. Chinese regional price control on Chord is pretty terrible and lots of dealers are willing to sell far below MSRP to move units. It's not a secret to anyone who hangs out on Chinese audio forums. A "good" price for a brand new Hugo 2 with the Van Nuys case is ~$1,700 US. You do get the reduced regional-specific warranty though.

I would really like to get the TT2/Mscalar set but the TT2 having no battery is a dealbreaker. A battery-operated TT2 plus something like the Xiaudio Broadway would be a true king of the mountain portable combo.

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #4,297 of 18,495
That's not far out of line with what I'm hearing from local dealers. Chinese regional price control on Chord is pretty terrible and lots of dealers are willing to sell far below MSRP to move units. It's not a secret to anyone who hangs out on Chinese audio forums. A "good" price for a brand new Hugo 2 with the Van Nuys case is ~$1,700 US. You do get the reduced regional-specific warranty though.

I would really like to get the TT2/Mscalar set but the TT2 having no battery is a dealbreaker. A battery-operated TT2 plus something like the Xiaudio Broadway would be a true king of the mountain portable combo.
A 2000 pounds HMS is a no brainer, where can I get one?

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #4,298 of 18,495
1. No switch, you are right.
2. I think that the two last DX buttons have no function at the moment. The DX OP button indicates your input kHz if you are sending data to your HMS - see the HMS manual for the meaning of individual colors.
3. I have not heard it.
The buttons may be used to dim the lights as documented in the manual.

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #4,299 of 18,495
A 2000 pounds HMS is a no brainer, where can I get one?

Are you drinking buddies with any owners of major Chord dealerships in China?

Not kidding, that's the only way I know of getting one at that price :)

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #4,300 of 18,495
I see. Need to get in touch with these major Chord dealers and I surrender, not kidding.

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #4,301 of 18,495
Spent an afternoon testing the M Scaler/TT2 combo. What incredible kit!
Not quite what I was expecting tbh. Much more airy and fresh. Detailed but not intense. The spacing though, Wow! Instruments were on opposite sides of the English Channel.

7DB09D39-FEB7-4685-A8C6-0B5E50C1D33E.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #4,302 of 18,495
Spent an afternoon testing the M Scaler/TT2 combo. Incredible kit.
Not quite what I was expecting tbh. Much more airy and fresh. Detailed but not intense. The spacing though! Wow! Instruments were opposite sides of the English Channel.
I'm surprised at how big a jump it seems to provide over TT2 alone - although for the money you should expect it. Lots more space, lots more bass and smoother with less need for filters.

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #4,303 of 18,495
I'm surprised at how big a jump it seems to provide over TT2 alone - although for the money you should expect it. Lots more space, lots more bass and smoother with less need for filters.

Agreed about the big jump and I also found that big jump when adding the MScaler to the Dave. To my ears it made it a sort of 'double Dave'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back