Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 8, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #4,082 of 18,518
-
It's another amp in the way of the sound

You need to understand the effect that passive crossovers have on any amplifier including the TT2. An active speaker has one amplifier per driver and the crossover is electronic rather than using passive components with capacitors and coils. You might find that the theoretical advantage of TT2 direct to a set of passive speakers is outclassed by a set of active speakers. If you have not heard active speakers then I suspect you will be surprised. They are also much cheaper than you might think.

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #4,083 of 18,518
-

You need to understand the effect that passive crossovers have on any amplifier including the TT2. An active speaker has one amplifier per driver and the crossover is electronic rather than using passive components with capacitors and coils. You might find that the theoretical advantage of TT2 direct to a set of passive speakers is outclassed by a set of active speakers. If you have not heard active speakers then I suspect you will be surprised. They are also much cheaper than you might think.
I'm open minded but it's still an extra amp in the chain, I've spoke to Rob watts and adding a chord TToby would add power but if your speakers are sensitive enough then the hugo TT 2 direct is far better

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #4,085 of 18,518
I'm open minded but it's still an extra amp in the chain, I've spoke to Rob watts and adding a chord TToby would add power but if your speakers are sensitive enough then the hugo TT 2 direct is far better

TT2 is better than adding TToby if your speakers are sensitive enough for the volume you want (yet to be decided in your case) but you miss the point of the deleterious effect of the passive crossovers in your speakers. This is nothing to do with the quality of TT2 or TToby but is a function of the passive crossover speakers. Until you have heard a pair of active speakers you will probably not understand what we are saying. However one of Rob’s game plans is a set of digital amps driving speakers in an active configuration direct from a Hugo MScaler.

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #4,086 of 18,518
Mikey I was thinking of trading in m scaler for a pair even though I've only just got it, not heard it yet, I just love the hugo TT 2 that much I don't know how up scaling can be better than a pair of quality speakers

Why on earth would you be considering trading in the M-Scaler having only just taken it out of the box, and not even heard it with a TT2?

Speakers will never improve the sound of your system as they can’t add what isn’t there in the first place, or correct what’s already wrong. Get the source right first.

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #4,087 of 18,518
Why on earth would you be considering trading in the M-Scaler having only just taken it out of the box, and not even heard it with a TT2?

Speakers will never improve the sound of your system as they can’t add what isn’t there in the first place, or correct what’s already wrong. Get the source right first.

Some questions are best left unanswered.

If I had to guess, I think the answer would probably be, Snooker.

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #4,088 of 18,518

The mantra of source first goes back a while, I think first promoted by Linn / Ivor Tiefenbrun. However, I have found for myself that speaker / headphone gives most bang-for-the-buck.

Dec 8, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #4,090 of 18,518
Having an issue where pass-through mode is not working. Not that I cannot hear differences between the modes; I get no sound out of any mode other than white OP SR setting.

Any ideas?
If hugo 2, switch from coax 1 to 2 or vice versa.
Separately, I also had weird problem once after changing the bnc cables, but then after putting cables in and out again it fixed itself.

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #4,092 of 18,518
thank you ! worked

Depending on which way you have your cables plugged into the bnc to rca adapter, one way will allow you to hear passthrough and other none dual data streams.

The other way will make it so that only the dualdata stream can be heard on coax 2, if you want to hear the other streams, passthrough etc, you are forced to push coax 1.

The way I have my cables connected to the bnc to rca adapter is, coax 2 works with every mode, no need to change. When I first noticed that behaviour I thought my hugo or mscaler partially died on me, but no, It works as intended.

Dec 8, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #4,094 of 18,518
if i disconnect one of the bnc cables from the audioquest bnc to coax adapter, hugo 2 still shows a purple window, but the hugo 2 source colour is now red. and the music has a really echo to it/is distorted.

Weird.

The only hiccup I’ve had was the wire change around. In one position, dualdata streams worked ok in coax 2, but every other mode that I changed to couldn’t be heard on coax 2. To hear the other three modes I had to change on over to coax 1.

The way I have it now is, dualdata, passthrough, 96khz and 192khz modes all work on coax 2. When pushing the OP SR button, it cycles through them perfectly.

It just depends on what bnc cable is plugged into what rca connector, if one way doesn’t work fully, change the cables around on the rca adapter.

That Hallelujah song makes me tingle. Not the original by Lenoard Cohen, as that version is too slow, but later versions of it sound excellent.

Now it’s onto The Carpenters with Close to you. My iphone hates me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back