Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 8, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #4,066 of 18,496
Hello musickid,
sorry if my post hurt your feelings.
My sincere apologies.
Not really my intention but I got the impression that you were trying to infer things that imho, have no factual bearings.

Regarding my Qutest and your quote:" me being a big fan" let me repeat:I have both mentioned its strengths compared to Hugo but also VERY CLEARLY stated that imho it is absolutely no DAVE!

And the more I hear via M Scaler the more obvious Qutest's shortcomings become.

Having been exposed to M Scaler in its new form as well and already knowing what Blu2 was capable of doing with DAVE, going back to Qutest on its own is really disappointing with a lot of my recordings!

And as far as Qutest plus M Scaler are concerned my take after roughly 12 hours with my reference material is that it beats DAVE on its own via good headphones.
But not TT2+ M Scaler nor DAVE/BLU2 for that matter.

When I hear better SQ from digital it is hard to go back to lower SQ for me.

My reference firmly remains acoustic music as it sounds LIVE.

Bad recordings being even more revealed for what they are,are a completely different story.
I hope this clarifies things for you.
And keep enjoying your M Scaler.
Cheers Controversial Christer
A friend of mine compared a Qutest to his Hugo2 both listening and testing. He found the stock power supply to be limiting on the Qutest and found the ifi ipower to increase its performance to near the Hugo2

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #4,068 of 18,496
I auditioned the 23 PMC speakers, I really liked them. I almost got them but then was able to get a deal on my B&W 804s.

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #4,069 of 18,496
I auditioned the 23 PMC speakers, I really liked them. I almost got them but then was able to get a deal on my B&W 804s.
Mikey I was thinking of trading in m scaler for a pair even though I've only just got it, not heard it yet, I just love the hugo TT 2 that much I don't know how up scaling can be better than a pair of quality speakers

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #4,070 of 18,496
Think I'll get the full benefit out the m scaler because I'll be going direct to speakers from the hugo TT 2, even with Dave you need to add a amp to drive speakers, I won't lose anything through the chain but I do want the twenty three pmc speakers. Speakers have to be my next upgrade

You should look at active speakers imo.

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #4,074 of 18,496
It's another amp in the way of the sound

What do you think a crossover is? Huge inductors and capacitors and resistors completely in the way of the sound trying to split high power signals .. no chance. With active speakers you can do the crossover much more accurately at relatively low signal levels, then you have an amplifier driving each drive unit directly. Much less loss, much more control, much greater accuracy.

Give some good active speakers a listen. There’s a reason why most professional studios use them.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #4,076 of 18,496
Mikey I was thinking of trading in m scaler for a pair even though I've only just got it, not heard it yet, I just love the hugo TT 2 that much I don't know how up scaling can be better than a pair of quality speakers
They are great speakers, but relatively low sensitivity. When I auditioned them it was with a relatively muscular amp. I don't know how the TT2 would do with them.

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #4,077 of 18,496
What do you think a crossover is? Huge inductors and capacitors and resistors trying to split high power signals .. no chance. With active speakers you can do the crossover very accurately at relatively low signal levels, then you have an amplifier driving each drive unit directly. Much less loss, much more control, much greater accuracy.

Give some good active speakers a listen. There’s a reason why most professional studios use them.
Active speakers have a crossover it's just digital then a amp to drive it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back