Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 18, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #3,241 of 18,518
He1000se plays well with all kinds of music .009 does very well with classical and acoustical music .WES is a neutral amp so it very transparent as the Dave. I like WES I don't know about other electrostatic amps as I have not heard them.
Can the 009 compete with the HEK se in terms of sub bass that can be visceral at times with the se?? Price to performance with DAVE alone plus HEK se, and no need for an external amp, is an amazing setup!

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #3,242 of 18,518
There is a misconception that 009s lack bass. This is totally incorrect, but and it's a bigggy, you MUST partner them with a KG design amplifier and I would humbly suggest nothing less than a Carbon. I sold my Stax rig not because I didn't like it, quite the reverse. But I wanted to hear straight out of Chord without any amplification in between. My current set up of TT2/HMS/HD800 is the best I've had to date, largely due to HMS IMHO, however, I'm sure that I can improve on the transducers. Oh it will never end!

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #3,243 of 18,518
There is a misconception that 009s lack bass. This is totally incorrect, but and it's a bigggy, you MUST partner them with a KG design amplifier and I would humbly suggest nothing less than a Carbon. I sold my Stax rig not because I didn't like it, quite the reverse. But I wanted to hear straight out of Chord without any amplification in between. My current set up of TT2/HMS/HD800 is the best I've had to date, largely due to HMS IMHO, however, I'm sure that I can improve on the transducers. Oh it will never end!
So I guess it would not be possible with the 009 to get the purity of sound, blackness of background with quiet passages and unaltered microdetails that one can achieve with the DAVE sans intervening amp and a TOTL non-electrostatic headphone? There is an old Chinese proverb, “Man Finish House.... Man die”. Until my hearing goes south I am in it for the long haul. Finding the perfect combination of components is an existential process. Enjoy the quest but keep enough funds in the bank for food.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #3,244 of 18,518
Actually it can end, have faith folks. But until then keep the economy pumping.

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #3,245 of 18,518
So I guess it would not be possible with the 009 to get the purity of sound, blackness of background with quiet passages and unaltered microdetails that one can achieve with the DAVE sans intervening amp and a TOTL non-electrostatic headphone? There is an old Chinese proverb, “Man Finish House.... Man die”. Until my hearing goes south I am in it for the long haul. Finding the perfect combination of components is an existential process. Enjoy the quest but keep enough funds in the bank for food.
I’ve never been fortunate to hear 009s with T2, those that own this rig maintain it’s an end game regardless of DAC, having heard what HMS can contribute, I have my doubts. I have 66 year old ears and am perplexed when others say they find HMS subtle. Even Chirister could hear a difference!

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #3,246 of 18,518
6EEF7891-7767-4CF1-90E7-D98F50C5D0FF.jpeg Just ordered this stand to put DAVE on top of HMS. This perforated metal stand appears sturdy, has rubber feet, adjustable height and adequate dimensions. It should improve heat dissipation, save space and allow short dual BNC cables to run from HMS to DAVE at a bargain price from AMAZON.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #3,247 of 18,518

Absolutely. Not sure where this misconception even comes from. If you read Innerfidelity's "Comparing World Class Headphones", Tyll says about the SR-009's bass: "Holy moly! These hit amazingly hard. Yes, the lowest two octaves are a bit shelved down, but my goodness they rock!"

I have yet to hear the HE1000se, but have experience with the HE1000v2 and v1. The SR-009's bass, when paired with the right system, hits far harder than the HE1000, and has infinitely better transparency and texture. It is far above the bass performance of every single non-electrostat I've ever heard, including the Audeze LCD-4 which I have owned.

Can the 009 compete with the HEK se in terms of sub bass that can be visceral at times with the se?? Price to performance with DAVE alone plus HEK se, and no need for an external amp, is an amazing setup!

SR-009 bass on a proper system is far more "visceral", much faster and hits much harder, although in terms of absolute bass extension the HE1000s win as the SR-009 refuses to go below 20 Hz (which isn't a big deal).

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,248 of 18,518
I'm on the same quest myself. My short list is currently the HiFiman HE1000se and Susvara, and the Abyss Phi CC. The trick is going to be to get them all in the same place at the same time with both a mTT2 and mDAVE. Once my buddy's TT2 arrives, it may be time for a road trip.
Own Focal Utopias and they are marvelous with the Dave. Listened to HE1000SE versus Abyss Phi at Audio Vision S.F. (about whom I can not say enough good things). The Abyss was auditioned through the SimAudio Moon Neo 430 HA headphone amplifier. The Abyss Phi, without the performance improvements present in the CC was far and away the best headphone I've had the pleasure to audition. The folks at Audio Vision were kind enough to run the signal through a Chord Dave and Blu2 into the HA. A soundstage greater than any I've heard and impressively accurate (compared to Stax 009, HE1000SE, HD800). Will still keep my Focal Utopias, but the Abyss Phi CC possibly with the HA is next.

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #3,249 of 18,518
Own Focal Utopias and they are marvelous with the Dave. Listened to HE1000SE versus Abyss Phi at Audio Vision S.F. (about whom I can not say enough good things). The Abyss was auditioned through the SimAudio Moon Neo 430 HA headphone amplifier. The Abyss Phi, without the performance improvements present in the CC was far and away the best headphone I've had the pleasure to audition. The folks at Audio Vision were kind enough to run the signal through a Chord Dave and Blu2 into the HA. A soundstage greater than any I've heard and impressively accurate (compared to Stax 009, HE1000SE, HD800). Will still keep my Focal Utopias, but the Abyss Phi CC possibly with the HA is next.
Many thanks for your impressions, but What I am looking for is a total set up without additional amplification, otherwise I’m back to T2 009.

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #3,250 of 18,518
the efficiency of the utopia allows them to be used easily with the dave/blu2 which really provides incredible transparency....the Abyss may well be the better HP but it strains to be driven without an external amp....personally i go back and forth between the abyss straight from the dave/blu2 and sometimes with violectric 281....depends on the music i listen to .....some older recordings require the amp..most modern do not

Nov 18, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3,251 of 18,518
the efficiency of the utopia allows them to be used easily with the dave/blu2 which really provides incredible transparency....the Abyss may well be the better HP but it strains to be driven without an external amp....personally i go back and forth between the abyss straight from the dave/blu2 and sometimes with violectric 281....depends on the music i listen to .....some older recordings require the amp..most modern do not
I think it’s the bass response and greater 3D speaker like sound space that makes the PHI special from the reviews but it apparently needs to be matched to a high end amplifier and still wonder if that addition in the DAVE-HMS chain is really worth it. I suppose would need to A-B the PHI/Stax 009 with the Utopia, Hifiman HEK se and new Meze Empyrean to make a final choice for the next set up. Hard and expensive choices.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #3,252 of 18,518
I heard the Empyrean straight out of Dave last weekend admittedly for a mere 10 mins. It was incredibly musical and superbly transparent. My only quibble would be that I d prefer a bigger soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back