Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 13, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #3,046 of 18,495
I’ve been playing in my mscaler for a week and it’s really won a lasting place in my special category of utterly indispensable components.

It’s not inexpensive but it is for me representing truly exceptional value. This has turned my qutest based front end now very much into a destination source.

I am also just settling the mscaler in with the stock cables but I also now have some Wireworld platinum starlight cable to use for a pair of bnc cables so I will do this shortly down the track.

I also have set aside some Stillpoint ultra 5s to put it up onto and these isolation feet usually utterly transform sensitive digital devices.

I do want to say thank you to all the guys who previously presented their listening impressions as this kept the interest very much alive during the not too long wait. Now that the mscaler is here and providing very real and really fabulous experiences I have to admit that I have little to add beyond the very excellent and positive descriptions provided earlier. Just absolutely a game changer for me. Bravo Chord.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #3,047 of 18,495
Please Help....
Anyone that has dropouts between Dave-Mscaler or Blu2 for that matter, describe how it affects the music and the display of Dave.
Do you see the connection drop on Dave and then reconnect at the same time the music is impacted or is it just a click or pop in the music without the display changing for example.
Thank you.

Nov 13, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #3,048 of 18,495
@Clive101: I had some drops and pops. Reconnecting both cables solved it. I have not checked the display od Dave so not sure about this.

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #3,049 of 18,495
Will aftermarket BNC cables be necessary to get the best out of the MS?

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #3,050 of 18,495
@seaice Thank you for responding.
I have the same but just one click for less than a second which is intermittent. Sometimes 5 in one track sometimes it could take 9 tracks to manifest, there is no pattern.
Can anyone else confirm about the display....?

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #3,051 of 18,495
Please Help....
Anyone that has dropouts between Dave-Mscaler or Blu2 for that matter, describe how it affects the music and the display of Dave.
Do you see the connection drop on Dave and then reconnect at the same time the music is impacted or is it just a click or pop in the music without the display changing for example.
Thank you.
It is with the display fliquering as it loses the dual BNC mode momentarily. By the way, I just got new (stock) BNC cables, so far no dropouts. I will know for sure after trying it out a bit longer.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #3,052 of 18,495
It is with the display fliquering as it loses the dual BMC mode momentarily. By the way, I just got new (stock) BNC cables, so far no dropouts. I will know for sure after trying it out a bit longer.
Thank you for the reply.
If I may ask how long is the pop - click mine is for a split second and with three sets of cables standard, £30.00 and 4K...!

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3,053 of 18,495
Will aftermarket BNC cables be necessary to get the best out of the MS?

It might be the opposite, aftermarket cables can make it worse. At least one member on here has tried fancy, expensive, non-conventional aftermarket cables and had troubles with dropouts on hi-res files. Switching to very modest, but sensibly constructed, leads fixed the problem. Take care. Don’t buy cables from people claiming to fix problems they can’t demonstrate exist.

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #3,055 of 18,495
Thank you for the reply.
If I may ask how long is the pop - click mine is for a split second and with three sets of cables standard, £30.00 and 4K...!

My pops were really short but occured in series... I had to reconnect both stock cables twice to get rid of it completely. And everything was fine for a couple of days then. Today, I found two old BNC cables at home and tried them. Funny is that they are of different lenghts (1m and 2m) and different brands (Canare and Belden 1694A) but everything works fine at first attempt. No pops for hours... Now awaiting two 1.5m Beldens 1694A.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #3,056 of 18,495
So, the issue was resolved by a change to the cable screening, rather than any issue to do with thick cables meeting cramped socket locations. I'd still rather the Blaxius^2 was a bit narrower near the ends to remove any sideways force on the sockets, but I guess that might be difficult when trying to maintain all that screening configurability.

Anyway, I assume the improvements you're hearing are before you've fully experimented with the potentlal thousands of screening combinations? These ^2 cable versions do seem to be a tweakers paradise to "dial in" the sound characteristics you prefer - and a nightmare for non-tweakers like AndrewOld! Horses for courses.

When my HMS arrives, I'll live with the stock cables for a while and then see if I feel the need to try anything else.

This set does narrow near the plug ends so no problems with that, the blaxius^2 digital is missing the white wire so less configurations to try but yes I can still try several different configs once its run in.
And yes I totally agree, definitely not a cable for flat earther's or non-tweakers but if you're of an open mind and like experimenting it is a very special cable

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #3,057 of 18,495
It is with the display fliquering as it loses the dual BNC mode momentarily. By the way, I just got new (stock) BNC cables, so far no dropouts. I will know for sure after trying it out a bit longer.
I have been listening to the new BNC cables for a few hours now. Drop-outs are almost completely gone, so far I have heard only very occasional ones on BNC 1+2 inputs, and none on BNC 3+4 inputs on the DAVE. The BNC cables are the same type as the previous ones, stock cables provided by Chord with the M-Scaler.

Per my previous post the drop-outs only occurred with USB input and not optical, and only in dual BNC mode. So it appears to be related to the sensitivity of the overall system to a poor dual BNC connection, but for some reason only manifested in USB mode.

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #3,058 of 18,495
I have some pops after around 1,5 to 2 hours of use, when Blu become quite worm, it looks like solutions is to cool down, I put some ventilation over Blu, the pops disappeared.
And for information pops change display in Dave (I use option4).

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #3,059 of 18,495
Just joking a bit.
Are you talking about placebo? As in "I will please you"
Well, according to recent medical scientific news, it should not be underrated, it works!
Cheers Controversial Christer

Well, placebo was not what I had in mind but I will agree it plays a very important role in this hobby. As far as I m concerned, anything that won’t get me behind bars but increases the pleasure I get from listening to music is very welcome :)

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #3,060 of 18,495
pops and drop outs, not cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back