Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 7, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #2,866 of 18,480
I'm using Google Chromecast audio as Roon Endpoint connected to my HMS via optical.

I replaced my Sotm sms-200 for the Chromecast Audio.

To my ears it sounds better.

If the difference in sound quality between a 30 quid gadget and a streamer close to a grand is such that it becomes a matter of preference, I ve just saved an extra grand towards my future M-Scaler purchase:)

Nov 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2,867 of 18,480
I’ve got an M Scaler and a DAVE. Mostly I use a low power Acer laptop via USB but it sometimes suits me to use an old Logitech Squeezebox Touch via optical. I honestly can’t tell the difference. An M Scaler makes a huge difference to your system and the way you can connect to your music, so imo you should spend all your pennies on an M Scaler when you can, and leave the source till another day. If you connect via USB the galvanic isolation of the M Scaler is your protection, otherwise use optical. Rob has said that the M Scaler has exceptional jitter tolerance, so unless you have an utterly terrible source you should be fine.

Ok, thanks so much! I'll probably go ahead and order the TT2 and go without audition. I'll miss opportunity to audition. Will be ready for mScaler CanJam London

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #2,868 of 18,480
Finally, HMS at home :) So far so impressed with Dave at the highest rates... Very real 3D soudstage, many details unmasked and the level of tangibility is quite insane with some recordings....

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #2,869 of 18,480
Tangibility... a suitable term.

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #2,870 of 18,480
If you own an MScaler or Blu2, the only way you can absolutely isolate your DAC from RF generated noise by the MScaler FPGA or upstream from source, server or laptop is to avoid metal contact along the chain. Ferrites or design counter measures only mitigate the problem ...it's only eliminated if you could have an optical bridge just prior to the DAC. An optical bridge is a 100% solution. Maybe, just maybe, something like that will exist soon. PM me...
But 768 is available only through dual BNC.

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #2,871 of 18,480
Which type of source supports dual bnc in on the mscaler? Or is that 2 lots of single bnc in? And what kind of source supports single bnc into the mscaler as well?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #2,872 of 18,480
But 768 is available only through dual BNC.
One could try to break the galvanic connection within the BNC cables using an optical «bridge» with 384 kHz capability.

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #2,873 of 18,480
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,877 of 18,480
One could try to break the galvanic connection within the BNC cables using an optical «bridge» with 384 kHz capability.
So you are talking about the end points of the cable are BNC and the cable in between is optical, right? Please elaborate.

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #2,878 of 18,480
Is anyone interested in posting their subjective impressions regarding, the difference in sq when mscaler powered by their phone or their server/streamer?

I think it’s a worthwhile discussion that could answer the questions we all have.

We all just want to make the right synergy choices to get most out of mscaler.

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #2,879 of 18,480
Is anyone interested in posting their subjective impressions regarding, the difference in sq when mscaler powered by their phone or their server/streamer?

I think it’s a worthwhile discussion that could answer the questions we all have.

We all just want to make the right synergy choices to get most out of mscaler.

I'll do it if I can find a cable when I get home. Airplane mode and using USB Audio Player Pro. I'll compare to Roon / Chromecast and Optical with the same FLAC file on both.

Ade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back