Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 8, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,896 of 18,480
Oh, okay. Thanks.

I still don't understand that bit, I guess it's still hard for me to wrap my mind around why the usb circuit is difficult. I'm sure every aspect is difficult, but my mind is having trouble, probably, because my simple mind just wanting to go to "USB is a set spec, so what's the difference between outputting 768kbps from every old computer with venerable USB 1.1 has 1.5Mbps speed capability and USB 2.0 has 480Mbps max speed"

Of course, it's probably not simple. But dangit my head struggles with this.
It does sound simple but in essence it is not. The designer has to make sure the USB interface will fit in the physical space available and its circuitry will not interfere or be interfered by the rest of the kit. No small problem when high levels of very high frequency digital noise is being generated within the equipment. Believe me, I've been there, done that etc.

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #2,897 of 18,480
Oh, okay. Thanks.

I still don't understand that bit, I guess it's still hard for me to wrap my mind around why the usb circuit is difficult. I'm sure every aspect is difficult, but my mind is having trouble, probably, because my simple mind just wanting to go to "USB is a set spec, so what's the difference between outputting 768kbps from every old computer with venerable USB 1.1 has 1.5Mbps speed capability and USB 2.0 has 480Mbps max speed"

Of course, it's probably not simple. But dangit my head struggles with this.

I think it all started with the original Blu CD transport (possibly before USB audio connections) which had the option of dual data output via a pair of BNCs to Chord’s then top of the range DAC. Some years later, the Dave was developed, with dual BNC inputs to accommodate the Blu, but possibly also because Rob foresaw other developments (there are also dual BNC outputs on the Dave).

At about the time the Blu2 was due for release, Rob broke through with the m-scaler technology, due in part to the availability of new FGPA chips. It was decided at a late stage to incorporate it in the Blu2, the dual BNC connections from which were designed to feed the Dave’s BNC dual inputs. In short, it’s been BNC from the outset for dual data transmission, and I assume likely to remain that way for some time to come.

I’ve no idea if USB could be used instead, but Chord’s present topology doesn’t allow for this.

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #2,898 of 18,480
All this talk of how good the Mscaler is, is making me even more frustrated mine is yet to arrive, pre-ordered it over 3 months ago.

To rub salt in the wound someone on the Blu Mk2 forum is considering trading in theirs for a Blu. I mean come on, have some consideration to us poor souls still waiting!!! :)
Don't worry, I decided not to trade in! The M-Scaler is technically better (optical input, RF), I am happy with streaming vs playing CDs, and I can deal with the cosmetic mismatch with the DAVE given the price difference.

My dealer says I may have the only M-Scaler in the Netherlands, so hard to get everywhere.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2,899 of 18,480
USB is a many-to-many communications bus (e.g. you can have 20 devices on it, each talking to the other 19 and at a different speeds, etc -- you need to deal with contention for the bus [which device gets to talk at any given time], etc).

S/PDIF is a one direction synchronous bus with just one transmitter.... and one active speed at a time.

I thought you could have a max of 120 or was it 127 devices connected to a single usb port, if done properly. Thats why I miss my old pc, it had 12 usb ports on the back, and 4 on the front. With Z170 chipset I get 4 on the front and 5 on the back.

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #2,900 of 18,480
Don't worry, I decided not to trade in! The M-Scaler is technically better (optical input, RF), I am happy with streaming vs playing CDs, and I can deal with the cosmetic mismatch with the DAVE given the price difference.

My dealer says I may have the only M-Scaler in the Netherlands, so hard to get everywhere.

That was never going to be a bad decision.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,904 of 18,480
Since the thread is quiet, I was wondering, is this a good time to bring up HQ Player :)

I’m only joking, although I am interested in a direct comparison of Hugo MScaler and HQPlaya.

No Fights please.

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,905 of 18,480

I would not be concerned with the cosmetic mismatch. I think the DAVE is an awesome looking piece of hi-fi hardware.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,907 of 18,480
Is anyone interested in posting their subjective impressions regarding, the difference in sq when mscaler powered by their phone or their server/streamer?

I think it’s a worthwhile discussion that could answer the questions we all have.

We all just want to make the right synergy choices to get most out of mscaler.

I stream Qobuz from my Samsung S7 Android phone to my Mojo and from a Dell XPS13 to my Blu2 and Dave. The problem with streaming Qobuz from an Android device is that Qobuz uses Android audio and up-samples everything to 192kHz 24. It is not very transparent. Bass resolution, timing, dynamics, pace everything is affected. I also stream Qobuz using USB Audio Player Pro. It overrides Android Audio and outputs bit perfect non up-sampled content. Qobuz off line content can only be streamed with the Qobuz App. Qobuz doesn't allow offline content with USB Audio Player Pro.

I asked Qobuz about streaming bit perfect content using their app but they didn't really understand the problem. If you stream Qobuz with an Android device please contact them and explain. If enough users lobby them they may modify the APP to bypass Android Audio like USB Audio Player Pro and output native resolution bit-perfect content.

Streaming Qobuz with the Dell XPS13 using the Chord ASIO 1.05 USB driver and Samsung S7 using USB audio Player Pro sound pretty much the same. i.e. excellent with the mscaler in the Blu 2.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #2,908 of 18,480
I would not concerned with the cosmetic mismatch. I think the DAVE is an awesome looking piece of hi-fi hardware.
I am thinking of getting the Chord stand with taller legs and placing the M-scaler underneath. I think that could look great! I am talking to my dealer to see if I can try it out.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #2,909 of 18,480
I stream Qobuz from my Samsung S7 Android phone to my Mojo and from a Dell XPS13 to my Blu2 and Dave. The problem with streaming Qobuz from an Android device is that Qobuz uses Android audio and up-samples everything to 192kHz 24. It is not very transparent. Bass resolution, timing, dynamics, pace everything is affected. I also stream Qobuz using USB Audio Player Pro. It overrides Android Audio and outputs bit perfect non up-sampled content. Qobuz off line content can only be streamed with the Qobuz App. Qobuz doesn't allow offline content with USB Audio Player Pro.

I asked Qobuz about streaming bit perfect content using their app but they didn't really understand the problem. If you stream Qobuz with an Android device please contact them and explain. If enough users lobby them they may modify the APP to bypass Android Audio like USB Audio Player Pro and output native resolution bit-perfect content.

Streaming Qobuz with the Dell XPS13 using the Chord ASIO 1.05 USB driver and Samsung S7 using USB audio Player Pro sound pretty much the same. i.e. excellent with the mscaler in the Blu 2.

I can’t get Qobuz hires to work with the Chord ASIO 1.05 driver to either my M Scaler or DAVE. If I play say a 96kHz file it plays at quarter speed and 2 octaves down, and half speed with a 48kHz file. Wasapi exclusive mode is fine. J River is fine at any resolution with the ASIO driver. So there seems to be an issue with Qobuz and the Chord ASIO driver on my Windows 10 machine.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #2,910 of 18,480

I am sure I read that people could turn off Android up-sampling. (Not sure though, because I only half read along with it, as I don't have android device.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back