Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 28, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #2,281 of 18,518
Isn’t most of RF noises are from FPGA? What has it got to do with CD and streaming?

I agree, all sources are affected in the same way by the noise generated by the FPGA, though CD and streaming tend to sound different anyway. Whether that’s only due to RF noise elsewhere is a debateable issue. There is a school that believes bitperfect transfer MUST result in identical sound, irrespective of source, and that any differences can only be accounted for by RF.Anything else is just your imagination.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #2,282 of 18,518
Certainly not harshness and glare! That doesn't mean that optimising things can't make it a tad smoother though...

Sadly, that’s why the issue will probabaly never be resolved, at least for the foreseeable future. Rob doesn’t think it’s that important an issue. In fairness, nor do most other people so there’s no real pressure to address it. Indeed, technically, it might not be possible for some time to come.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,284 of 18,518
Certainly not harshness and glare! That doesn't mean that optimising things can't make it a tad smoother though...

Ok, fair point. It was a post in haste as I was off out to cook 50 full English breakfasts for our village.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #2,287 of 18,518
Hmm, if i understand things correctly? Possibly by connecting a better bnc cable between the dac and M-scaler, than the one provided by Chord????

... and replacing the SMPS with an high end LPS in the 1k - 3kEuro range (while voiding the Mscaler warranty), which in turn would be plugged in the wall socket via a 1k power cable :)

I can easily see myself going this route in the next future, oh my ...

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #2,288 of 18,518
It seems that there is an agreement that there is RF noises generated by FPGA. And a lot of efforts have been put to reduce RF noises output to BNC. However, my question is that RF noises can also escape through the power cable. So actually, power cable should make a difference in sound quality.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #2,289 of 18,518
It seems that there is an agreement that there is RF noises generated by FPGA. And a lot of efforts have been put to reduce RF noises output to BNC. However, my question is that RF noises can also escape through the power cable. So actually, power cable should make a difference in sound quality.
I found it worthwhile to put 40 ferrites on the mains cable for DAVE. See my signature for why.

I think this might be some of the reason that people describe TT 2 as sounding "richer" or "weightier" than DAVE. I'm not saying it's the only reason, but having heard an improvement in DAVE with extreme common-mode RF noise filtering on the mains cable, it makes me wonder if TT 2 has better filtering on its power and so has an advantage here.

Oct 28, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #2,290 of 18,518
Hmm, if i understand things correctly? Possibly by connecting a better bnc cable between the dac and M-scaler, than the one provided by Chord????

yellowblue spent hundreds of dollars on cables that he was told would be “better” and which don’t work at all.

Be very suspicious of claims that can’t be backed up by evidence and measurements,

Oct 28, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #2,291 of 18,518
Sadly, that’s why the issue will probabaly never be resolved, at least for the foreseeable future. Rob doesn’t think it’s that important an issue. In fairness, nor do most other people so there’s no real pressure to address it. Indeed, technically, it might not be possible for some time to come.

An interesting thought from someone who, IIRC, does not use the MScaling feature of his Blu Mk2 because of perceived issues?

Oct 28, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #2,292 of 18,518
An interesting thought from someone who, IIRC, does not use the MScaling feature of his Blu Mk2 because of perceived issues?

Sorry, the prospect of a big breakfast made me say something I didn’t mean to.

IIRC, you told me that the sound of the m-scaler in the Blu2 without ferrited cables was “fatiguing”. Have you changed your mind, again?

Oct 28, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #2,293 of 18,518
Sorry, the prospect of a big breakfast made me say something I didn’t mean to.

IIRC, you told me that the sound of the m-scaler in the Blu2 without ferrited cables was “fatiguing”. Have you changed your mind, again?

This thread is about the M Scaler, not the Blu2. Rob stated what the issue was with the Blu2 and proposed a solution - a particular set of ferrites on the cable.

The M Scaler is different, and Rob has said he has taken steps to address the RF issue inside the Blu2. So, instead of imagining there is a problem, why not wait till he investigates if there is a residual issue. He is always straight, if there is an issue to resolve he will say what it is, and how to fix it. But he has made it clear that he does not agree with the claim of a cable vendor that the HMS/DAVE suffers from harshness and glare.

Oct 28, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #2,294 of 18,518
This thread is about the M Scaler, not the Blu2. Rob stated what the issue was with the Blu2 and proposed a solution - a particular set of ferrites on the cable.

The M Scaler is different, and Rob has said he has taken steps to address the RF issue inside the Blu2. So, instead of imagining there is a problem, why not wait till he investigates if there is a residual issue. He is always straight, if there is an issue to resolve he will say what it is, and how to fix it. But he has made it clear that he does not agree with the claim of a cable vendor that the HMS/DAVE suffers from harshness and glare.

I think the cable vendor in question has now changed his mind, putting it down to cooking nerves - you know what it’s like.

Rob is always honest, and it’s clear he doesn’t believe there’s an issue, residual or otherwise. Even though Nick refers to Rob as “the Master” it’s uncertain if he agrees with him about the HMS/Dave.

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #2,295 of 18,518

Yes, power cables do make a difference. But not necessarily with the intended outcome. In my setup, the stock cable was preferrable over two expensive (and good) mains cables which I tried. Now another surprise. Connecting the SMPS of HMS to a rather cheap and simple Oehlbach Powerstocket 907 (the "digital"=filtered sockets) leads to a better result than connecting it to a PS Audio P5 or directly to the wall socket. It seems that the P5 does emit a significant amount of RF/EMI and that the HMS responds well to simple mains filtering.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back