Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 20, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #15,976 of 18,615
Not at all, it's just a 1KHZ sine way and there distortion and SINAD are measured based on that 1khz sine Wave, what's funny is that plenty of products have distortion in other frequencies, he tests multitone on some products, which can then show you distortion in other frequencies, but his main test is that 1khz console, he has others like Jitter test and linearity, which can show you other issues in a product. However, the products in the site are rated best/worst based on that limited 1khz SINAD rating, which was mostly used for transistor radios, go figure LOL.

Now, music has transients, some of these transients are recovered by simple and short interpolation filters, some of these have 100 taps etc. The issue is many transients are lost and chopped off due to these filters, according to Claude Shannon to get close to perfection in reproducing an analog sinal/wave you need to use Sync Function over X to properly get the decay and ringing in each sync function impulse, to do that you need an infinite-length filter, Rob is the only designer that I know of that is trying to get close to that, this is the reason for the long digital filter, to get close to that and reconstruct the analog signal with all the transients intact, which should improve timbre, musicality, and edges of notes as well as bass, depth and other qualities.
If the concern is high frequency reproduction, then a continuous sweep (chirp signal) would tell you everything you need to know - does ASR provide the result of a continuous sweep?

Btw, Emm Labs dac upsamples to 44.8Mhz and only needs a simple LPF to get perfect analog signal.....lol.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #15,977 of 18,615
No sine wave of any frequency contains transients.
transients is simply the response of a circuit reacting to a temporary external input (i.e, impulse response)

Jul 20, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #15,978 of 18,615
Nice to see that the discourse here is much more mature and positive.

You cherry-picked a single comment and rather out of context at that. The gentleman who sent the unit to ASR was quite appreciative of ASR and of the free service provided by Amir, the presence of some zealots on the site notwithstanding. In any case, I don't want to descend further into the weeds here, so I'll bow out. I said what I wanted to say. Cheers.
Touché !

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #15,980 of 18,615
So @BassicScience, if this quote from you is true, then why are you here on this forum trying to defend ASR about a product that you’ve never even listened to music with?

Attachments

• 63408346-CA89-46E0-8E9B-DB5981013235.jpeg
    63408346-CA89-46E0-8E9B-DB5981013235.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 21, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #15,981 of 18,615
In any case, I don't want to descend further into the weeds here, so I'll bow out. I said what I wanted to say. Cheers.
Let’s all hold you to that promise. Bye.

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #15,982 of 18,615
So @BassicScience, if this quote from you is true, then why are you here on this forum trying to defend ASR about a product that you’ve never even listened to music with?

I think he was defending objectivism, but I could be mistaken.

Quite honestly this thread has become quite ridiculously obnoxious in every direction possible. I've very clearly and strongly have refuted the bs as it relates to the "prove your worth" narrative which is totally stupid.

But what is damn near equally stupid is the fanboyism in the very next post or remark. There's truly no hope here lol. Extremes vs. extremes lol

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #15,983 of 18,615
I think he was defending objectivism, but I could be mistaken.

Quite honestly this thread has become quite ridiculously obnoxious in every direction possible. I've very clearly and strongly have refuted the bs as it relates to the "prove your worth" narrative which is totally stupid.

But what is damn near equally stupid is the fanboyism in the very next post or remark. There's truly no hope here lol. Extremes vs. extremes lol
Wouldn’t someone who wanted to defend objectivism be better served commenting on an Ayn Rand forum?

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #15,984 of 18,615
thanks guys, really appreciate the answers. I wont bother with the 12v Farad.
Have you considered iFi iPower Elite for your HMS? I have been using that for a couple of months now (15V model) with the iFi Supanova cable, and I am happy with the results.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #15,985 of 18,615
Let’s all hold you to that promise. Bye.
I didn't promise not to comment within the thread anymore. I simply didn't have any further interest in that particular line of conversation.

Isn't it interesting that ASR gets excoriated here for supposedly banishing all dissenters with alarming alacrity, yet you would do the same to me, a person who is simply interested in conducting a reasonable dialog? It appears that no one here is particularly interested in reasonable dialog, which would be consistent with my theory that this thread is primarily a marketing instrument for the product and its various accessories.

Carry on.

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #15,986 of 18,615
Wouldn’t someone who wanted to defend objectivism be better served commenting on an Ayn Rand forum?
I wasn't "defending objectivism". I was responding to the notion that ASR's primary motivation is to disparage expensive products, nominally because their members were mostly paupers who couldn't afford such gear. There are any number of valid criticisms of ASR, but those are not among them.

Jul 21, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #15,987 of 18,615
I wasn't "defending objectivism". I was responding to the notion that ASR's primary motivation is to disparage expensive products, nominally because their members were mostly paupers who couldn't afford such gear. There are any number of valid criticisms of ASR, but those are not among them.
I agree that ASR is not in the business of disparaging expensive products - he hardly ever reviews any high end products (if any) :smirk:

Jul 21, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #15,988 of 18,615
I agree that ASR is not in the business of disparaging expensive products - he hardly ever reviews any high end products (if any) :smirk:
Not true. He's reviewed a fair number of expensive products (whatever people ended up sending him). His technical assessment isn't biased by their price (he acknowledges excellent engineering regardless of price), while his purchase recommendations do factor in his perceived value for money. Since I don't find the site particularly useful for purchase recommendations, I pretty much ignore that aspect of his reviews.

Jul 21, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #15,989 of 18,615
I look at things a bit differently. I would compare two cars (say Ford and Mercedes sports cars) that have the same 0-60, same breaking distance, same 1/4 mile, same nuremberg completion time, same turn radius, same drag coefficient and the same reliability, but one costs $10k and the other costs $100k. The $100k car looks nicer and is built with better materials and comes from a better brand, which car would you buy?
I agree but if the only measurement made was the number of wheels how would you feel then?

Jul 21, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #15,990 of 18,615
I’m not sure if asr popularized toppings, but that seems to be one good thing about it.
There’s a great space for a site to try to find the cheapest best audio out there so everyone can enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back