Huge Bass, Great Soundstage, looking for headphones to suit prog like Dream Theater, Opeth and Pink Floyd.
Oct 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #16 of 41
DT990 recabled or D2000. I do not know DT990 Pro cable, but 250 ohm consumer edition cable is crap - 3 (common ground, shame) thin wires. Recabled with 4 solid OFC wires, DT990/250 sounds pretty better. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #18 of 41
@klinic

Are you in Melbourne?

If so head down to Addicted to Audio and try out most headphones on offer in their audition room.

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #20 of 41

Quote:
Also, the Beyerdynamic dealer in Australia does not have a purchase option on their website. But the Denon one does not even have headphones listed. Guitar amps are filed under headphones.  I am more then slightly confused. -.-;

Are there any good places to by headphones in Australia?

http://www.headphones.com.au/

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #21 of 41

Quote:
Afraid not, I live up in Brisbane.

Suite 4, 1407 Logan Rd.
Brisbane, Qld
Australia
ABN: 19 118 764 399
Contact Headsonic

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #22 of 41
Damn, Headsonic is a lot cheaper then all the other places.

They only have the normal model of the 990, not the pro. But, at that price, that sounds fine to me.

It mentions it not being as accurate a listening experience as the 880, is this going to be a problem? I have no real interest in creating accurate mixes or anything as I dislike the recording process involved in recording guitars. I'm happy enough to play record, I just don't want to sit there and mix. So, just for movies, games and listening to music, that should be fine, right?

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #24 of 41
Well, I'm going to get the DT990, not the pro edition.

Now, I want to buy from Headsonic, they're nice and cheap. But are they reliable and... Up to date? Their site makes mention of stock being expected in May of 2011. We're just a little bit past there now, so I want to know if they're still safe to buy from.

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #25 of 41

Quote:

Now, I want to buy from Headsonic, they're nice and cheap. But are they reliable and... Up to date? Their site makes mention of stock being expected in May of 2011. We're just a little bit past there now, so I want to know if they're still safe to buy from.

I'd just pop in there in person if I was you ~ you're in Brisbane, how far away could you possibly be?

I travel 70-80mins away for audio acquisitions over here in Melbourne all the time.

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Back in April, the website shows the Denon D2000 in stock, so I ordered one and paid for it. Waited 3 weeks, then I sent an email and was told it was out of stock. 1 Demerit point.
The owner called me and said he would refund my money plus another $20 as compensation. Waited another 2 weeks. Another demerit point.
Sent him another email. He finally refunded my money, and in the paypal note he wrote "another $20 on your way :) "
The $20 never arrived....another demerit point.

Oh...and I'm still waiting for him to restock the AKG K701 since May 1st.....another demerit point.

Overall...lame!! I'm just thankful I got my money back.

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #27 of 41
@klinic

Only suggested Head Sonic because you are local to Brisbane. Clearly, this guy appears to be running a headphone business in his
shed when he has a spare 5 minutes here and there as illustrated via Nick's comments.

If you're prepared to commit to a model then I highly recommend dealing with George at Addicted to Audio in Melbourne,
especially if you are after an Ultrasone since he is the national distributor. He also does decent pricing with Sennheiser
Beyer Dynamic (very good pricing) and Audio Technica with free delivery & full local warranty if it all goes wrong.

He is still in the process of getting AKG in the store.

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #28 of 41

Quote:
@klinic

Only suggested Head Sonic because you are local to Brisbane. Clearly, this guy appears to be running a headphone business in his
shed when he has a spare 5 minutes here and there as illustrated via Nick's comments.

If you're prepared to commit to a model then I highly recommend dealing with George at Addicted to Audio in Melbourne,
especially if you are after an Ultrasone since he is the national distributor. He also does decent pricing with Sennheiser
Beyer Dynamic (very good pricing) and Audio Technica with free delivery & full local warranty if it all goes wrong.

He is still in the process of getting AKG in the store.

Mmm, they actually sound kind of scary. :/ I can see whether I can get out there to see them in person, although I'm not sure if it's worth it considering how dodgy they sound. The only problem is that it's $100 extra from all the other places. That might also be a bit of an indicator as their pricing is a bit oddball.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy from Addicted to Audio. They sound a lot more trustworthy. I'm thinking that getting the 250Ω would be the best, I've read that the 32Ω version doesn't really drive that much easier.

I might just need to buy a slightly more portable amp then what I have at the moment, I do need a new amp anyway. So would 250Ω be the best overall?

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #29 of 41

Quote:
Mmm, they actually sound kind of scary. :/ I can see whether I can get out there to see them in person, although I'm not sure if it's worth it considering how dodgy they sound. The only problem is that it's $100 extra from all the other places. That might also be a bit of an indicator as their pricing is a bit oddball.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy from Addicted to Audio. They sound a lot more trustworthy. I'm thinking that getting the 250Ω would be the best, I've read that the 32Ω version doesn't really drive that much easier.

I might just need to buy a slightly more portable amp then what I have at the moment, I do need a new amp anyway. So would 250Ω be the best overall?

The 250 ohm will be the most difficult to drive but if you get any decent desktop full sized amp you'll be more than ok.
Just let us know what amp/s you had in mind for a second opinion.

Smart thinking with dealing with someone locally, I'm happy to pay a little more with a guy like George at Addicted to Audio or
Nik at Audiophile (Grado guy) knowing that if I ever have a problem, there is a helping hand at the other end of an email
instead of silence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back