Huge Bass, Great Soundstage, looking for headphones to suit prog like Dream Theater, Opeth and Pink Floyd.
Oct 13, 2011 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

klinic

New Head-Fier

Title basically sums up my wants, price range is about AU$400 max. Pink Floyd is my favourite band by miles, so it’s absolutely essential that they sound great. I want to really feel the bass and get that feeling from a huge soundstage. Other listening habits include Prog Metal, bands like Iron Maiden and Guns N’ Roses and some of the more Melodic Death Metal as well as other rock from the 70’s.

The three bands listed in the title are my absolute favourites, so they’ve got to sound great, so long as the others sound pretty good, I’m happy.

The only other thing is that I do a bit of gaming, primarily Mass Effect and a little bit of cod4, but that should probably be covered by the soundstage anyway, but I don’t know if there’s anything else to consider for gaming headphones, if there is, I’d rather not sacrifice anything from the music side for it.

Thanks for your help, please let me know if I’ve missed a great resource or if I need to give any more info. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 41
Open backed or closed backed ?  If you're not bothered about slight sound leakage then it sounds like the Beyer DT 990 is the one for you. Pro or Premium, pick your poison!

I can confirm I have the DT 990 Pro and I look for the same qualities as you in headphones, I can tell you the bass and soundstage for music on the DT 990 Pro is amazing, immersion for movies and gaming is insane (so much so I kinda wish they were closed backed lol) and Guns n Roses and Red Hot Chili Peppers sound awesome on these - can't speak for Pink Floyd though but I'm sure you'll love them. I haven't come across anything they don't do well on.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 41
I probably should have mentioned that movies are quite a big thing for me too, although I can usually listen to them with speakers. Sound leakage isn't too big a thing for me, I don't mind open backs if it results in better quality. Sound isolation is a plus, but not worth sacrificing quality.

I've read some good and bad reviews of the DT-990 here on Head-Fi, but I've so far seen nothing but positive reviews for the Denon D2000.

Thanks for your suggestions both of you. Both seem to be very close to what I'm after, but I'm leaning towards the Denon's slightly at the moment.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 41
Also, the Beyerdynamic dealer in Australia does not have a purchase option on their website. But the Denon one does not even have headphones listed. Guitar amps are filed under headphones.  I am more then slightly confused. -.-;

Are there any good places to by headphones in Australia?

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 41

Quote:
Also, the Beyerdynamic dealer in Australia does not have a purchase option on their website. I am more then slightly confused. -.-;

Are there any good places to by headphones in Australia?

Addicted to audio and headphonics, thats about it. If you can't get a good price from them (sometimes they are cheaper than international dealers, sometimes they are not) then Amazon is a top choice, a lot stuff on there is sold way below the MSRP and they are authorized dealers for many companies.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 41

Quote:
Addicted to audio and headphonics, thats about it. If you can't get a good price from them (sometimes they are cheaper than international dealers, sometimes they are not) then Amazon is a top choice, a lot stuff on there is sold way below the MSRP and they are authorized dealers for many companies.

The problem with Amazon is that they do not ship most audio products to Australia. Beyer Dynamic I know has a clause saying that international companies can not ship to us. I'll check out the other two though.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 41
What exactly is the difference between the DT990 Pro and normal? The Pro is about 90 bucks cheaper. Not what I'd expect from a so called 'Pro" model.

Denon is not available at those sites, and further research has lead me to believe the positive reviews have been pretty accurate. I'm thinking I will go for those. ^_^

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 41
Both DT990 and D2000 seem like nice options.  DT990 doesn't really have huge bass when compared to D2000, while D2000's soundstage isn't quite as big compared to DT990.  It's kind of a 'you can't have both' thing.  And from what I hear, you really can't get the best of both worlds until you start looking into the planar magnetics.  Give FA-011 some research too.

The DT990 pro's main difference is its tighter, which changes the sound by making it have more bass.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 41
I would stay away from Beyer's harshness for Dream Theater, personal experience.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 41
In my opinion the DT880 is more balanced than the DT990.  I don't like the 990 better for anything really.  Beyers do have great soundstage.  So do Sennheisers, though.  For bass impact the HD598 is really good.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:
The problem with Amazon is that they do not ship most audio products to Australia. Beyer Dynamic I know has a clause saying that international companies can not ship to us. I'll check out the other two though.

I bought 2 pairs of Beyerdynamic in July, the DT770 & the DT880 from Amazon....no problem shipping to Perth. If something like this is shown:

[size=x-small]In Stock.[/size]
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Then it's most likely can be shipped to Australia. Certains items still not allowed though...

If this is shown instead:

[size=x-small]In Stock.[/size]
Sold by Kellards and Fulfilled by Amazon. Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's own warehouses, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these items. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Super Saver Shipping and
amz-prime._V192217000_.gif

If you're a seller, you can increase your sales significantly by using Fulfillment by Amazon. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon.
Gift-wrap available.  
then it's less likely to be shipped overseas.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #15 of 41
Get Beyer DT 880 or DT 990 with JMoney pads, the headphones themselves have great soundstage but the pads seriously take the bass to the next level. I just got them 2 days ago and they were like different headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back