HRT MusicStreamer DAC~Anyone Had Experience With This DAC?
Mar 8, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #31 of 57
If PC's were even 1/4 as dirty as you make them out to be, they would never work.
If the internal cards had as much interference from EMI and RFI as you pretend they have, the distortion would be measurable.
There are good and bad components in both internal and external gear. A component isn't always better just because it is external. There are intenral cards that measure better then external and external that measure better then internal.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve, the new versions are not out yet, and are more $$. For example, the current streamer plus dropped from $300 to $200 0 the Streamer 2+ will be $350.

I also work at Music Direct, and have listened to the current streamer and +, and the + sounds much better. I was not a believer in usb cables either, but tried the Kimber vs. generic on a dacport usb device, and the difference was immediately obvious and a nice improvement - since I sell them, believe what you will, but we will give you your money back if you do not agree -

Best regards,

Mark

That is very interesting. I received my Music Steamer II March 6th, the day before you posted this. Maybe Music Direct isn't really up to date?

EDIT: I bought it from ListenUp. Prompt shipping.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #33 of 57
Leeperry..
I have being having a think about all this techno speak....

Can I possibly ask,what on the face of it a very simple question?

After all your bypass surgery...what is average ratio improvement..over USB & other methods?

I am not asking for chapter & verse just a simple reply would be most helpful..
This would give me and no doubt others,A rough feel of the overhaul improvement gained by your methods.

all the best Steve

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #34 of 57
As a heads up, I believe all the new MusicStreamer models are asynchronous.

I currently own the new version of the MSII Pro, and it's outstanding, but I'm having some compatibility issues with my home laptop (although for whatever reason it works fine with my work computer).

The old MS+ I didn't think was all it was hyped up to be - I thought it was noticeably less transparent than my PS Audio DLIII with less extension at both ends, although it was very musical and more forgiving than my DLIII (maybe closer to a NOS DAC in these regards).

I did a brief audition of the MSII, MSII+ and MSII Pro at the CES and heard noticeable improvements with each step up. The biggest jump between the MS and MS+ (IIRC and if my ears are to be trusted....) was that the soundstage opened up quite a bit. When you went from MS+ to MS Pro, the bass become much more authoritative.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #35 of 57
Hello Very nice to hear from you..

I was a bit worried that I may not hear anything more about the HRT models.
I am surprised to hear that the II/II+ & PRO are available now? I have being told they were not available just yet
confused_face.gif

I thank you for your feedback on the three models and the sonic improvements as you moved up the scale..very interesting...
I am still very unsure about them given that I only have my dell at present and am unlikely to ever buy anything better?

Also I would like to know how the II& II+ work with the A5s?
and would better cables help? after the slightly heated debate earlier on this topic!

And if it is not to be the Musicstreamer what else would offer a similar quality? funny today I was reading a thread about NOS DAC ? but felt this was maybe a bridge to far in my audio learning curve..and a bit out of my league...

if you or anyone as more tips,advice I would very much appreciate it

all the best Steve
beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #36 of 57
Hmm... I bought my MS Pro through one of the HRT dealers on eBay (if you search eBay you'll find it - aphroditecu29 I think), but he doesn't appear to have the other models available.

I wouldn't worry too much about your USB cable. Pick up a Belkin Gold Series cable - they're supposed to be very good - and then don't worry about it.

What is your budget?

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by norskman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
today I was reading a thread about NOS DAC?

a DAC cannot be "NOS", it's plain marketing bs...again: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/nos...ing-bs-438220/

what these chinese manufacturers call a "NOS DAC" is mostly using some dead cheap DAC chips from Philips(that were already the lowest grade you could buy in the 80's), and claim that they don't overprocess the sound...you can check the first and the last page of this thread to get a rough idea how what this is all about
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't know how to give an "improvement ratio"...what I can assure you is that killing any electrical connection to a computer will skyrocket the SQ.

you can read here what ppl have to say about running an external S/PDIF DAC on a proper PSU: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6465613-post36.html
Quote:

Having a quality power supply is a big part of getting better sound quality.

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #38 of 57
Ho Leeperry..& Amen Geroge...

Both very interesting replies but for very different reasons..so NOS-DAC`s are not your cup of tea either...

I think most folk would agree with you on the Quality power supply would improve sound quality..and because I can not spend forever for a concensus on all this.. I may just look at the Power supply question & the link you gave me.

I really do not/Can not understand enough about Quote:

running an external S/PDIF DAC on a proper PSU

but I will read the link you gave ...

The Musicstreamer was already pushing my budget? but thought what the heck if it is as good as some say I will look at it...but the HRTII &PLus are the limit,re budget.

Which still leaves the Actives?I do thank you for the advcie which would partly follow Leeperry`s advcie but not totally about avoiding USB all together..but would prefer to steer claer of that debate if I can.

Look forward very much to hearing further from you

all the best Steve

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #39 of 57
an acceptable compromise could be to run a USB DAC on a discrete linear PSU...put the velleman PSU on this maybe: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6467375-post212.html

it costs 60€ on ebay, 30€ for a proper PSU, 15€ for a nice replacement opamp...and there you go
smily_headphones1.gif

I keep quoting myself, but it's still spot-on to answer your question anyway
tongue.gif

of course the HRT is portable, what I'm advising clearly isn't.

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #40 of 57
Now were talking..
Seems to me like a good idea? but what the hell do I know...the Vlleman PSU is this good enough or can this be improved upon?

Quote:

15€ for a nice replacement opamp

sorry did not quite get this..

I may never quite get my head totally around all this but maybe we are a bit closer

keep the suggestions coming

all the best Steve

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #41 of 57
this thread has gotten a bit off topic, and has lots of interesting stuff in it. what I want to add is that the streamers are very good products, and offer good value for the dollar, especially the original plus at the reduced price. Are they the pinnacle of pc audio? probably not.

do they benefit from better cables, both analog and usb - i, and many others would say yes, and base their opinion on personal listening tests. I will not quote from the 'net, because you can find citations which appear to verify/validate pretty much any randomly chosen assertion.

when it comes to name-calling, or calling into question sales tactics, keep in mind the somewhat ironic fact that none of the people on the net making recommendations will bear any financial responsibility to you if you buy their suggestion and do not like it. They are also anonymous, but you can call us and talk on the phone with us and get our suggestions and feedback.

Music Direct stands behind its advice, and offers a 30 day money back guarantee on virtually everything it sells- and those items not covered are disclosed up front, and are specified on our site and in our print catalog.

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by norskman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Velleman PSU is this good enough or can this be improved upon?

see what's available in your country for a discrete 12>18VDC linear regulated PSU.

this is as good as it's gonna get for audio...a DAC will need 0.2/0.5A but this kind of PSU usually comes in 2A minimum, which is perfectly fine...as it's usually advised to use an overdimensioned PSU.

the NG27 uses two BUF634 opamps to drive headphones, and an OP275 as low pass filter on the DAC output....replace the latter by this, and you'll be in heaven: Dual Op amp module AD797BR - eBay

you can read about AD797B here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/aud...-v-2-a-397691/
Quote:

This is a reference integrated op-amp

and there: Emmeline HR-2 Headphone Amp - Ray Samuels Audio
Quote:

The HR-2 is a high resolution headphone amplifier. It incorporates two state of the art AD797 audio IC’s—the best ever made.

anyway, this will be a drastic improvement over whatever HRT toy thingie...100% guaranteed. and several friends of mine currently use a NG27 w/ AD797BR FWIW.
Quote:

Music Direct stands behind its advice, and offers a 30 day money back guarantee

that's really great...but the man is from northern europe anyway. no hard feelings I hope
redface.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

this thread has gotten a bit off topic, and has lots of interesting stuff in it. what I want to add is that the streamers are very good products, and offer good value for the dollar, especially the original plus at the reduced price. Are they the pinnacle of pc audio? probably not.

I think this sort of qualitative stuff is discouraged by MOTs

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this sort of qualitative stuff is discouraged by MOTs

I was posting to address specific comments about emails between the op and one of my coworkers, and subsequent comments about the content of those emails, products we sell (but by no means exclusively), and criticisms of our sales recommendations-- none of my comments were unsolicited, i was not rtying to get the op to buy from us (he is not in the USA, and we cannot sell HRT to him anyway).

If my post was inappropriate, I stand corrected - the content stands on its own.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #45 of 57
Look you guys....

All I need to know is would this PSU as linked to by Leeperry make any sense? and give a bit of general agreement..I have read all the links I have being given but my god it is so bloody complex..I am struggling..hope you can understand this.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back