HRT MusicStreamer DAC~Anyone Had Experience With This DAC?
Mar 4, 2010 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

norskman

100+ Head-Fier
[size=x-small]Hi Fellow Members..
dt880smile.png

Firstly please exscuse me starting a new thread..on basically the same questions? as my previouse Thread..

I really wished to find out if anyone had first hand knowledge of the HRT MusicStreamer DAC MUSICDIRECT have given me some options,but first I need to obtain some user feedback if at all possible below is the latest message from MusicDirect and there suggestions regarding upgrading cables?

just to remind fellow head fiers my source components are as follows DELL~STUDIO~17~32-BIT LAPTOP to AUDIOENGINE A5s If the HRT MusicStreamer DAC improves computer sound,in conjunction with the cables mentioned... then it maybe a very good option for me... possibly? it would be more than I originally intended to spend, but if I receive enough positive feedback I may well take the plunge and purchase the above?[/size]

Quote:

Briefly, the HRT “Plus” offers much better parts quality, yielding much better sound. It is significant.

You will need two cables. One is called the “Kimber USB” cable. I recommend the pure silver version, found here: MUSICDIRECT - KIMBER - SILVER B-BUS HIGH SPEED USB CABLE

The second is made by Audioquest and is an analog interconnect. The model I recommend can be found here: MUSICDIRECT - AUDIOQUEST - COPPERHEAD (PR)

Yours in great sound,
Brian Tragash
Senior Audio Consultant
musicdirect

Mmany Thanks Once Again

Regards Steve
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by norskman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=x-small]Hi Fellow Members..
dt880smile.png

Firstly please exscuse me starting a new thread..on basically the same questions? as my previouse Thread..

I really wished to find out if anyone had first hand knowledge of the HRT MusicStreamer DAC MUSICDIRECT have given me some options,but first I need to obtain some user feedback if at all possible below is the latest message from MusicDirect and there suggestions regarding upgrading cables?

just to remind fellow head fiers my source components are as follows DELL~STUDIO~17~32-BIT LAPTOP to AUDIOENGINE A5s If the HRT MusicStreamer DAC improves computer sound,in conjunction with the cables mentioned... then it maybe a very good option for me... possibly? it would be more than I originally intended to spend, but if I receive enough positive feedback I may well take the plunge and purchase the above?[/size]

Mmany Thanks Once Again

Regards Steve
beerchug.gif

I owned the HRT Plus briefly and found that when hooked up to a mac book there was a definite improvement in the sound quality over that of just using the sound card from the MacBook. Background was much quieter. Since the long range plan was to use it in conjunction with a Sonos, I had to return it because it only has a USB connection which the Sonos didn't have. Its certainly worth a try since Music Direct will take it back if you are unhappy with it.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 57
Hi Jkev

Can not thank you enough for your reply..
Somone who as first hand expereince with the HRT Plus really am obliged to you..maybe there will be some further replies on the subject?Really hope so

all the very best to you Steve

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 57
Hello Again
It is getting close to deciding time re the MUSICSTREAMER DAC?

I would really value some imput from anyone with experience of these DACs

all the best Steve

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 57
hummm, 86dB of SNR? MUSICDIRECT - HRT - MUSIC STREAMER STANDARD

sounds like a waste to me, you really want 96dB at minimum, that's the CD-DA resolution.

this thing can play 86/6=14 bit music at max...quite a waste if you plan on feeding an external amp.

OTOH the "+" version look good, but they'd need to be clearer on the parts it's using..DAC/opamps, etc..as there's a lot of competition in the $200/300 region.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 57
Hi leeperry & Koven..
Good of your guys to reply..It as being one heck of a day..Imformation overload at times..some of which I do not fully understand or appreciate..

The Musicstreamers featured on the Musicdirect site are I now discover the older vertions (I think?) the latest incarnations of these DACs are the II the II+ & the PRO the link to HRT site is here hope it offers more Detail for you.

High Resolution Technologies web site

If you learn anything of interest please let me know guys..it is important to me.

I am not 100% sure but I think you are not quite sold on these cables I was adviced to buy? if you could suggest some more appropriate cables I would be obliged I know the shorter the cable lengths the better...

all the very best Steve

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 57
both the absolute sound and stereophile have very positive reviews for the ms and the ms+.

i heard the ms+ today on a very revealing rig and it sounds my nice -- definitely didn't get in the way of the music.

the biggest downside to the ms and the ms+ is the 16/44.1 limitation. there is a new version coming out soon that will support 24/192 and will be priced around $400.

Acoustic Sounds has the ms+ for $189 which seems like a good deal if it meets your needs.

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 57
JCN3
Many thanks for your imput am very grateful..first off
I have read al the reviews after the musicstreamer was suggested to me and I was impressed to! But I was given to belive the Ms & MS+ were the latest versions..which of course I learn now have being replaced by the II & II+ which are better again.

I am in touch with the right folk re trying to buy one of these the trouble is I am in Norway and have being told I can only buy in Norway as HRT do not in common with many makers of Hi-Fi allow cross- country selling if that country as a Distrbutor..so I am stuck with paying the very High Norwegian price nomatter which I finally choose ..and unable to take advantage of low prices in the USA had two replies from US dealers expressing this point ecactly.

Just to give you some idea of the price differences here in Norway the One supplier/distributor charges $600 for the II+!!! I totally accept Norway is 2nd most expensive place to live and our SALES TAX is 25% and then there is the import cost e.t.c but I still think the price is way to high!

So it is now just a case of which of the two new versions I should go for the II or II+?

anyway all the best to you

many thanks Steve

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by norskman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi leeperry & Koven..
Good of your guys to reply..It as being one heck of a day..Imformation overload at times..some of which I do not fully understand or appreciate..

The Musicstreamers featured on the Musicdirect site are I now discover the older vertions (I think?) the latest incarnations of these DACs are the II the II+ & the PRO the link to HRT site is here hope it offers more Detail for you.

High Resolution Technologies web site

all the very best Steve

Steve, the new versions are not out yet, and are more $$. For example, the current streamer plus dropped from $300 to $200 0 the Streamer 2+ will be $350.

I also work at Music Direct, and have listened to the current streamer and +, and the + sounds much better. I was not a believer in usb cables either, but tried the Kimber vs. generic on a dacport usb device, and the difference was immediately obvious and a nice improvement - since I sell them, believe what you will, but we will give you your money back if you do not agree -

Best regards,

Mark

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 57
cables are the last thing to improve...because the ROI is low.

try to avoid USB altogether maybe, go internal PCI/PCI-E maybe, or better S/PDIF or I2S.

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 57
Hi Leeperry good to hear from you again..
I am spinning with all the advice? I do not wish to sound ungrateful as everyone as being superb! but it is really difficult for someone like me a novice in the Audio arena to make a considered judgement..

This is the first time anyone as suggested avoiding USB? which changes things fundimnentally.. by go Internal PCI/PCI-E I assume is something to do with soundcards? or better S/PDIF or12S now as you know I have just learnt that S/PDIF is a to DAC connection? but the rest I do not understand...

and why is this route better?

can you or anyone out there please suggest a set up including yoiur suggestions so I know what to look for

it would be a great help...

all the best Steve

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #14 of 57
well, regular USB adapters use a synchronous connection to the computer...it's highly sensitive to jitter and the cable quality would matter apparently.

if you use an asychronous transport over USB such as the Musiland Monitor serie or the M2Tech Hiface...cable does not matter anymore, and tbh the ROI on cables is low.

internal soundcard have the major advantage that none of these matter anymore.

if I were you I wouldn't waste my money on soundcards or cables...I'd either grab this for coax: HA INFO Audio Studio

or a cheapo CMI8768 internal card for toslink using these drivers: cmediadrivers

and put all my money on the best S/PDIF DAC I could afford...what you want is an external DAC that runs on a discrete regulated linear PSU...using the computer PSU is a terrible idea, because it's noisy as hell and is a switching mode PSU...which is a big no-no for serious audio.

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 57
Hi Again
many thanks for a super fast reply..thank you for the two links, I have looked now at both of them ..can honestly say I understand totally as this approach is very different to the one I thought I was following? but I am very open source?

Must be clear >I never intended upgrading any sound cards..also I was told Firstly the UDAC then The TOTALBITHEAD and finally the HRT MUSICSTREAMER Bypassed the noise element you refer to? is this not correct.

Re cables I have some folk and manufacturers of DACs telling me not to bother with better cabling? others that I should upgrade to KImber USB & Audioquest Copperhead interconnects? all in the pursuit of cleaner audio sound!

Quote:

if you use an asychronous transport over USB such as the Musiland Monitor serie or the M2Tech Hiface...cable does not matter anymore, and tbh the ROI on cables is low.

I do not really understand this part...sorry if I sound dum...

Quote:

put all my money on the best S/PDIF DAC I could afford...what you want is an external DAC that runs on a discrete regulated linear PSU...using the computer PSU is a terrible idea, because it's noisy as hell and is a switching mode PSU...which is a big no-no for serious audio.

This part on the other hand I can partly understand..but again not totally..I have to keep this as simple as possible and try to strike somekind of balance..as I am sure you will understand..if I can be made to fully understand your suggestions and it sounds logical then Ok I can look at it..but it must be kept as simple as possible

all the best Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back