HRT HeadStreamer: WASAPI woes in FooBar
Feb 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #34 of 88
Sorry I missed this thread, as I had previously researched this whole issue:

1 - regarding foobar, the developer a) is a "sound quality denier" and more importantly, b) refuses to believe that lowering buffer size in an audio player would not always make thngs worse, despite my giving him quotes to the contrary from DAC designers.

2- foobar 0.8.3 actually sounds better than the curent foobar, especially with the otachan asio plugin (google search is your friend), and 0.8.3 allows under 50 ms buffer size.   However, the flac plugin was never fixed to allow 24-bit flac to work in all cases.

3 - musicbee developer is not particularly interested in sound quality, but is friendlier and willing to make minor changes to suit setups that he does not own.   Their forum threads include one about the .ini file setting that allows you to set the buffer as low as you want, even to zero.  So, you can use WASAPI with musicbee, but:

4 - it turns out that WASAPI is better in theory, but not in practice, and ASIO is still the best sound quality, and...

5 - ASIO4ALL with HRT works best for me with all 3 settings turned down to minimum.

Feel free to PM me for any details.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #35 of 88
Great input, thanks!

1) Great... Gotta love when some people are so hell bent on their ideas that they refuse to listen to any other input.

2) I'm only having problems with 24 bit files, especially when going from 16 to 24 bits in a playlist, so 24 bit support is kinda important to me 
smile.gif

3) MusicBee is out, as is Songbird (whats with all the animal names?) and JRiver. I really, really love Foobar's interface. Simple and efficient. JRiver "just works" but it's a bloated behemoth and as I use this for work I'm not looking at the eyecandy anyway.

4) I have come to the exact same conclusion!

5) I'll give that a try but so far I've found this setup to work best for me:

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #36 of 88
Hmm - I have the buffer size at minimum, rather than maximum....

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #41 of 88
Feb 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #42 of 88
Quote:
Great input, thanks!

1) Great... Gotta love when some people are so hell bent on their ideas that they refuse to listen to any other input.

On that link posted by melosares, he says:
Quote:
Contrary to popular "audiophile" claims, there are NO benefits from using ASIO as far as music playback quality is concerned

I'm pretty sure that if he were in my living room, he would stop saying that...

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #45 of 88
Sorensiim, A question about the JRMC settings...

Do you have the "output format" box in the DSP settings ticked? i just wanted to know your settings there for perfect playback with all sample rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back