HR Bithead vs. RS Hornet Which One?
Sep 8, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #46 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Yup. But this is a little like the ol' Hatfields-'n-McCoys: The Xin fanboys are gonna call you (and me, of course) a Ray fanboy.

It's obvious what my attitude is regarding the Hornet, having said enough about it in this thread.

The one logical reason I might recommend a Xin amp (not necessarily in this case) is for newcomers who haven't heard enough to know what they like, and can benefit from rolling opamps and hearing a wide variety of sound signatures in one shell.

For any due respect to you and to this forum, isn't it premature to claim one's better than the other without hearing both? I would assume you haven't heard the new IV's from Xin as there are only a few around. Pls. correct me if you did get the chance to hear them. Giving objective information is good to this forum, yet providing biased and misleading information can only discourage and mislead newbies and create flame among users.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #47 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
For any due respect to you and to this forum, isn't it premature to claim one's better than the other without hearing both? I would assume you haven't heard the new IV's from Xin as there are only a few around. Pls. correct me if you did get the chance to hear them. Giving objective information is good to this forum, yet providing biased and misleading information can only discourage and mislead newbies and create flame among users.

What you've just written is quite adversarial. If you've ever come across the many posts I have at Head-fi, you'll know that I never compare any amp to Xin's amps, and I often explain that not a single, recent Xin amp has shown up at our large or small meets, nor can I/we find anyone who will either bring one to a meet or lend one for us to hear. We came close at our last portables mini-meet, and perhaps that member will join us soon with his Xin amp.

Further, over the past two years I've written several times to Dr. Xin to request review samples of his current amps -- or even one amp -- but he's said he's too busy manufacturing amps to send review samples to anyone, and I'm sure he is very busy. He has not, as yet, replied to my most recent request some weeks ago.

In any case, I only post impressions of the various amps I have heard and do my best to describe how and why I feel they do or do not excel in a given application.

I do not believe I've done anyone a disservice, nor do I believe I've provided biased or misleading information, though I'm far from infallible and am bound to make some errors. Moreover, my suggestion that newbies may benefit from the Xin amps' ability to use many opamps is hardly denigrating Xin's amp or misleading anone -- and I don't see how that could be inciting flames from anyone.

Apparently there must have been something in my post that has inspired flames from you.

I am probably one of the more objective members, in the sense that (like many other members) I will not tear down any product, and will always state when I have not heard a piece of equipment. I always note that my comments are based on my own listening experiences, and where appropriate I note other possible perspectives considering differing tastes.

I've said that the "M" Hornet is an excellent amp, especially in certain pairings, and have endeavored to explain some of its positive qualities as briefly as possibly. It's sad that you find this inflammatory.

Soak the flames in cool water and let's start over.

I have, regrettably, not been able to hear Xin's latest amps -- and cannot afford to buy them out of curiosity. There are other amps I haven't yet heard, and I sincerely look forward to hearing all of them. I am an open-minded skeptic about everything -- but never a cynic.

Please take my recommendations of the "M" Hornet in this context and be assured that although I heartily recommend it -- it is certainly my subjective opinion based on my tastes and my personal experience and in no way claims any sort of "objective/absolute" certainty that this amp is the best thing since sliced bread.

By the same token, be assured that the most fervent advocacy of Xin's amps are just the same, and must be taken in that same context as well.

Peace.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #48 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
Well three things:

From what I have heard around the forums through extensive research... not my own ears, the Hornet is basically the best sounding portable amp on the market.... maybe SR-71... but that borders on portable...

I have heard the original Hornet and the SR71 and I prefered the SR71. This with my Grado RS-1 and my Ety ER4S. I should point that IMO the Supermacro III Version 6 with the stock OPA2134 sounded better than the stock Hornet or the SR71.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #49 of 159
Quote:

Can you please elucidate what you mean here?

Basically I've been informed that it's 'inappropriate' for me to discuss circuit designs or components used or suspected to be in use in certain manufacturers' amps. Additionally, many of the components such as op-amps used and suggested are of the same crop in almost every discussion I've seen. Introducing a new component or other option into the mix of what is circulated takes a lot of persistence, and in the meantime a lot of people don't enjoy the benefit of additional information when making their purchases. In essence, what may be unknown, secret, or taboo on head-fi is not necessarily so elsewhere, and there are both active and passive elements of head-fi's composition which limit the discourse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
to address filburt's post, if it comes down to best SQ vs. almost as good SQ but more customizable - well, i'm a purist. i'm going to go for the tone.
wink.gif

How does that address my post? Clearly I was _not_ suggesting what you just claimed, which is that the customisable option cannot have the "best" SQ the user may obtain. That's your own presumption, and not something that can simply be derived from my commentary. For example, it may be possible to achieve better SQ with the customisable option using components others failed to notice. It's not a certainty, of course, but it's an argument sufficient to demonstrate that what you just suggested is not a certainty.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #50 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
Basically I've been informed that it's 'inappropriate' for me to discuss circuit designs or components used or suspected to be in use in certain manufacturers' amps. Additionally, many of the components such as op-amps used and suggested are of the same crop in almost every discussion I've seen. Introducing a new component or other option into the mix of what is circulated takes a lot of persistence, and in the meantime a lot of people don't enjoy the benefit of additional information when making their purchases. In essence, what may be unknown, secret, or taboo on head-fi is not necessarily so elsewhere, and there are both active and passive elements of head-fi's composition which limit the discourse.

Oh, I see. Thanks very much for the clarification.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #51 of 159
Quote:

How does that address my post? Clearly I was _not_ suggesting what you just claimed, which is that the customisable option cannot have the "best" SQ the user may obtain. That's your own presumption, and not something that can simply be derived from my commentary. For example, it may be possible to achieve better SQ with the customisable option using components others failed to notice. It's not a certainty, of course, but it's an argument sufficient to demonstrate that what you just suggested is not a certainty.

which leaves the only other interpretation of what you suggested, which would be "the supermacro is more versatile than the hornet. if you want the hornet sound, you can make it happen by tweaking the supermacro. plus you get all the other sounds you can get from the supermacro. so the supermacro beats the hornet."

there's no way i was going to put those kind of words in your mouth, because that's opening a HUGE can of worms that just ain't gonna get solved until the hornetized-supermacro goes head to head against a hornet and we hear for ourselves if the supermacro can achieve that, falls short, surpasses, or just plum sounds different but good in its own way.

seeing as how that comparo hasn't happened yet, and it's not going to happen by us typing away, let's just say "we'll see" for now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #52 of 159
Quote:

I've said that the "M" Hornet is an excellent amp, especially in certain pairings, and have endeavored to explain some of its positive qualities as briefly as possibly. It's sad that you find this inflammatory.

Thanks for the reply yet pls. don't get me wrong. I agree that Hornet is a great amp, regardless size factor, though I prefer SR71 by quite some margin. Given the fact that SR71 was introduced a few years ago and it's still one of the best sounding portables, Ray deserves all the respects and commends.

What I had difficulty to understand the comment was not misleading was the piece regarding Xin's. However, with the additional information in your reply, I am very fine with it.

Sep 8, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #53 of 159
How long does it take to get a XIN amp?

I also did not mean to start an AMP war I was just specifically asking differences between a BitHead and Hornet. I got my answer but wow this thread really has de-railed.

However, I find everyones comments very helpful and I'm considering a XIN amp but I honestly can't say there's a good chance I'll be leaning towards a XIN amp for several reasons.

1. Slow/delayed customer service (from what i've read)
2. I don't really like the way they look (I like good looking gear)
3. I don't really care for customization and find that buying different gear is more fun

Sep 8, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #54 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by volcomjerk
How long does it take to get a XIN amp?

Depends. You could try looking at the Amplification FS forum. I see them show up there decently often, which means no lead time ^_^

Otherwise, I think it's a few weeks or more
frown.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #55 of 159
Quote:

Depends. You could try looking at the Amplification FS forum. I see them show up there decently often, which means no lead time ^_^

Otherwise, I think it's a few weeks or more
frown.gif

I believe he was referring to a new model, and that seems to be a question of months, not weeks.
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #56 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I believe he was referring to a new model, and that seems to be a question of months, not weeks.
wink.gif

Well, people have sold off the new model recently *shrug*

Bummer on the lead-time, though. I mostly recommend the Xin amps because there are only a few options out there in terms of portables that allow op-amp rolling, and his seem to have the most advanced design of those available. There are some nice DIY options available, though. cetoole's new portable design looks pretty nice to me, and I am planning to build one.

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #57 of 159
Quote:

Well, people have sold off the new model recently *shrug*

Bummer on the lead-time, though. I mostly recommend the Xin amps because there are only a few options out there in terms of portables that allow op-amp rolling, and his seem to have the most advanced design of those available. There are some nice DIY options available, though. cetoole's new portable design looks pretty nice to me, and I am planning to build one.

Larocco PR II isn't exactly a slouch in the "advanced" department and allows for op-amp rolling, with a discrete buffer- no stacking necessary. The Super Macro IV may have the most advanced design, but I'd be quite surprised if it could match a PR II for sound quality.

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #59 of 159
Quote:

Seems to be at least partially in that the first sort of statement doesn't offend the integrity of the hobby or people's beliefs that their purchases and decisions are meaningful, whereas the other type of comment does. Not to say I think that condones the response it receives, but this seems to have something to do with why people react as they do.

Stating "I don't hear a difference" isn't offending anything. It's just that you don't hear a difference. And stating it, depending on the context, can be every bit as constructive, or every bit as destructive, as gushing over a popular headphone amplifier on every occasion without even really knowing what good sound is. Maybe only for the comfortableness of the mainstream; or to be in the grace of the forum's sponsors, to be really
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #60 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Stating "I don't hear a difference" isn't offending anything. It's just that you don't hear a difference. And this, depending on the context, can be every bit as constructive, or every bit as destructive, as raving about a costly headphone amplifier on every occasion without even knowing what good sound is at all. Maybe only for the comfortableness & protectiveness of following the mass opinion; or to be in the grace of the forum's sponsors, to be really
evil_smiley.gif

Stating I don't hear a difference is perfectly fine.
Stating I don't hear a difference and anyone else who thinks they do is fooling themselves... what's that all about?

I have no problem with someone starting a thread and saying "I bought this amp and never heard a difference." You have every right to do that.
Starting a thread saying "I bought this amp and never heard a difference and therefore there's no difference between a cheap amp from the source and an expensive third party amp and if you think there is, you're fooling yourself"... well that's not so constructive, is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back