HR Bithead vs. RS Hornet Which One?
Sep 8, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #61 of 159
Then I could possibly agree with you, regarding this particular discussion... if I had followed it.
redface.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #62 of 159
let me start by stating that i've not listened to the hornet. but i do own an'06 total bithead as well as a practical devices xm3. both are nice full featured portables, but to date the xm3 offers better sonics with a number of headphones i've tried it with. the tb offers other features such as the dac, gain ctl, usb port, and 2 headphone jacks and still sounds good. if you don't need those features save some $ and buy the xm3. i think both of those are available with 30d trials so you could go that route and see if you like either or both. and the pair is less than a hornet. i recently came across a thread about a minimeet a few months back at jaybar's place in bklyn where a bunch of 'stats were listened to in one room and some dynamics in the other. mercuttio repeatedly mentions not caring for the hornet at all. (see: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=stax+SR-X+Pro)
i also recall some mentions of the sr-71 clearly besting the hornet. if you can afford it the larocco amp has been called a serious contender.
but i'd recommend starting with the xm3 - good sound, not a lot of money.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #63 of 159
1. If you don't need the DAC, have you considered the Total Airhead? Supposedly the same AMP but sans DAC.

2. I secured a Hornet at a tremendous price by putting up a WTB thread. I was a skeptic about those types of threads until 2 days before someone else had put one up for a Hornet and had purchased one the same day.

3. You have some issues with the different types of Hornet that have been more deftly explained in other threads. If you get the unmodified hornet you can hear the O.G. sound and still have the option to have it modded. Or like me sit on the fence about sending it to Ray and wether you want to permanently change the sound and hope it sounds right.
smily_headphones1.gif

4. IMO the RSA amps are the best looking portable amps. Sound trumps all but as a graphic designer I appreciate the entire package.

5. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, but personally I was lusting after the hornet and was floored when I saw how tiny it was in person . Resale value is very good with both.

SO JUST MAKE A DECISION ALREADY AND GET TO LISTENING!!!!
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #64 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Larocco PR II isn't exactly a slouch in the "advanced" department and allows for op-amp rolling, with a discrete buffer- no stacking necessary. The Super Macro IV may have the most advanced design, but I'd be quite surprised if it could match a PR II for sound quality.

Well, I'm not disputing that the PRII is a 'slouch' in this respect, but I mostly consider that amp 'transportable'.

Regarding sound quality, a lot of things go into what an amp will ultimately sound like. I don't know which would sound better if configured as well as I could get them. The PRII also can't use bipolar input op-amps due to its topology, which for me is a bit unfortunate since most of my favourite op-amps are not FET input :/

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #65 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID
1. If you don't need the DAC, have you considered the Total Airhead? Supposedly the same AMP but sans DAC.

2. I secured a Hornet at a tremendous price by putting up a WTB thread. I was a skeptic about those types of threads until 2 days before someone else had put one up for a Hornet and had purchased one the same day.

3. You have some issues with the different types of Hornet that have been more deftly explained in other threads. If you get the unmodified hornet you can hear the O.G. sound and still have the option to have it modded. Or like me sit on the fence about sending it to Ray and wether you want to permanently change the sound and hope it sounds right.
smily_headphones1.gif

4. IMO the RSA amps are the best looking portable amps. Sound trumps all but as a graphic designer I appreciate the entire package.

5. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, but personally I was lusting after the hornet and was floored when I saw how tiny it was in person . Resale value is very good with both.

SO JUST MAKE A DECISION ALREADY AND GET TO LISTENING!!!!
tongue.gif

This has been the most helpful post by far haha. I'm getting the Hornet thanks =). I'm also a graphic designer and I do appreciate great design.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #66 of 159
I just ordered my Hornet and called Ray and that guy is so friendly! I will definitely do business with him again. I cannot wait to hear how this little guy sounds. Thanks again for all the help.

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #67 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles
Stating I don't hear a difference is perfectly fine.
Stating I don't hear a difference and anyone else who thinks they do is fooling themselves... what's that all about?

No, the problem was that she hadn't heard both of the amps. So, its not that she didnt hear a difference between the two, that would have been fine. Hes just telling him there is no difference between amps and anyone else who thinks they do is fooling themselves..... thats a lot worst.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #68 of 159
Hey Volcomjerk - congrats, I think you'll be impressed.

If I'd read this thread a day earlier I would have said I had a 2004 Total Airhead and recently upgraded to the Hornet M. The "wow" factor in the Hornet was definitely there for me. I've been burning the Hornet in and have maybe 130 hours on it and is actually getting better - slight but still better.

I'll leave my comments here and wait for your review.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #69 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues
Hey Volcomjerk - congrats, I think you'll be impressed.

If I'd read this thread a day earlier I would have said I had a 2004 Total Airhead and recently upgraded to the Hornet M. The "wow" factor in the Hornet was definitely there for me. I've been burning the Hornet in and have maybe 130 hours on it and is actually getting better - slight but still better.

I'll leave my comments here and wait for your review.

My experience at 100+ hours was that the sound development was just a tease of what it might do -- and I was right (at least with this amp). It keeps getting better, but the significant improvements arrive much later, after 350 hours or so. Don't get me wrong -- it is sparkly, quick, energetic, wide and open early on, but the sound space gets much bigger, the top end cleaner/clearer/sweeter, and it develops a lot more bass energy well past 300 hours. Enjoy-enjoy-enjoy.

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #70 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
My experience at 100+ hours was that the sound development was just a tease of what it might do -- and I was right (at least with this amp). It keeps getting better, but the significant improvements arrive much later, after 350 hours or so. Don't get me wrong -- it is sparkly, quick, energetic, wide and open early on, but the sound space gets much bigger, the top end cleaner/clearer/sweeter, and it develops a lot more bass energy well past 300 hours. Enjoy-enjoy-enjoy.

I had an AD8397 portable amp and it sounded bad. I got rid of it. (but I know there are some who think it very good
plainface.gif
)

The Hornet is a similar design with the same amplifier chip. How can it be SO good as it's been said in this thread? Kudos to RSA then!

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #71 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I had an AD8397 portable amp and it sounded bad. I got rid of it.

The Hornet is a very similar, 2 channel design, with the same amplifier chip. How on earth could it be SO good? I'd be happy to hear it, too.

We've been through this before on the boards many times. Ray doesn't disclose his chips to anyone. I'm sure it can be worked out, but Ray has never confirmed that the AD8397 is in the Hornet.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...90#post2209190

Even if it were, though, there's more to an amp than just the chip.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...00#post2309900

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #72 of 159
I know more details than you think...

But it doesn't matter, if it's SO good. As I said, kudos to RSA !

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #73 of 159
Quote:

I know more details than you think...

But it doesn't matter, if it's SO good. As I said, kudos to RSA !

Ah, the post has been edited, you'd said you haven't heard it, so I was just showing you some of the info.

We'll see what you think when you hear it then. Have you ordered one, or is there someone near you where you will be hearing it?

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #74 of 159
No, unfortunately I don't have $350, nor I have anyone that has it in my reach.

Ray, don't you maybe have a spare Hornet to give to me as a present, so that I can judge for myself, and maybe convert myself to your portable amp creations?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #75 of 159
Quote:

No, unfortunately I don't have $350, nor I have anyone that has it in my reach.

Ray, don't you maybe have a spare Hornet to give to me as a present, so that I can judge for myself, and maybe convert myself to your portable amp creations?
smily_headphones1.gif

Where are you based?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back