HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #571 of 1,524
Correct. You operate it via command line through a SSH tunnel, but besides occasional updates they are mostly set-it-and-forget-it. If you were only installing HQPlayer and nothing else on this computer, you could use HQPlayer OS "instead of" Linux (technically it is still Linux... but should be far easier to set up) which would simplify a lot. If you decide to go that route, let me know and I can help with the setup but basically it should look like this:

1. Flash the HQPlayer OS image to a hard drive
2. Install the hard drive in HQPlayer dedicated computer.
3. Find the local IP address of the new computer via your router.
4. Login to the HQPlayer Embedded web interface at http://(computer's IP address):8088
5. Configure your preferred settings.
If someone was going to build a computer to run HQPlayer from, what processor and how much RAM do you think would be best?

Also, where can I find and download HQPlayer OS?

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #572 of 1,524
Can HQPlayer Embedded be installed on a Mac laptop? Or does it have to be installed on a phone or tablet? And if installed on an iphone, does the iphone have to be dedicated for this use? Or can you install it on your regular phone without it causing issues?

HQPlayer Embedded is Linux only. It has the same functionality as HQPlayer Desktop, so it needs to run on something enough powerful to run HQPlayer upsampling filters and modulators. It can be made installed/running in two ways:
  • Traditional - install supported Linux distribution and then HQPlayer Embedded on top of it.
    CUDA offload (to move oversampling filters and optional convolution processing to GPU) can be used if nVidia GPU is available and newest nVidia driver is installed.
  • HQPlayer OS - it is a complete Linux distribution prepared by Jussi. It already contains HQPlayer Embedded. Instead of traditional Linux OS installation you just "burn" an OS image file to SD card or USB stick and boot from it.
After installation done by either way, further DAC dependent setup (PCM/DSD, output (usually DAC) device selection, max. sample rates, filter and modulator setup, CUDA setup, ...)is done from other device using web interface.

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #573 of 1,524
HQPlayer Embedded is Linux only. It has the same functionality as HQPlayer Desktop, so it needs to run on something enough powerful to run HQPlayer upsampling filters and modulators. It can be made installed/running in two ways:
  • Traditional - install supported Linux distribution and then HQPlayer Embedded on top of it.
    CUDA offload (to move oversampling filters and optional convolution processing to GPU) can be used if nVidia GPU is available and newest nVidia driver is installed.
  • HQPlayer OS - it is a complete Linux distribution prepared by Jussi. It already contains HQPlayer Embedded. Instead of traditional Linux OS installation you just "burn" an OS image file to SD card or USB stick and boot from it.
After installation done by either way, further DAC dependent setup (PCM/DSD, output (usually DAC) device selection, max. sample rates, filter and modulator setup, CUDA setup, ...)is done from other device using web interface.
If someone was going to build a computer to run HQPlayer OS, what kind of specifications would be optimal for this? What kind of processor and how much RAM? An intel i5 and 16 GB? Or would it have to be much more powerful?

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #574 of 1,524
If someone was going to build a computer to run HQPlayer OS, what kind of specifications would be optimal for this? What kind of processor and how much RAM? An intel i5 and 16 GB? Or would it have to be much more powerful?
Optimal is difficult to answer due to a number of factors, including are you looking to use PCM or DSD? DSD places significantly more demands on the build. What rate is the goal? If DSD1024 is the goal, you're going to be in the upper echelon of home computing at this point.

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #575 of 1,524
Hello,
I would appreciate some help on how to use offload to e-cores (Intel I7-12700k) on HQPe version 5.4.1.
I tried HQPe OS (usb) installation and also on on HQPe Ubuntu but I cannot see any option on the web interface in the configuration page neither using HQPlayer client settings window.
Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #576 of 1,524
Optimal is difficult to answer due to a number of factors, including are you looking to use PCM or DSD? DSD places significantly more demands on the build. What rate is the goal? If DSD1024 is the goal, you're going to be in the upper echelon of home computing at this point.
Lets say DSD512. What kind of processor and RAM would you need for that?

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #577 of 1,524
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #578 of 1,524
I agree with the above post from genefruit. HQPlayer OS does not support CUDA so it needs stronger processor. As minimum I would though specify 16 GB.
The machine should have enough effective cooling, otherwise thermal throttling could cause dropouts.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #579 of 1,524
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #580 of 1,524
Is an intel i5 processor enough for HQPlayer? Or would you probably need an i7?
It entirely depends if you're wanting to to DSD or PCM.

For PCM, you can get away with relatively little. Any semi-recent even i3 should be fine to be honest with just about any config.

With DSD though, it's simply a case of however much compute power you can get. There are configs that cannot be run in real time on any currently available hardware, and the more compute power you have the higher rates/better modulators you'll be able to use

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #581 of 1,524
It entirely depends if you're wanting to to DSD or PCM.

For PCM, you can get away with relatively little. Any semi-recent even i3 should be fine to be honest with just about any config.

With DSD though, it's simply a case of however much compute power you can get. There are configs that cannot be run in real time on any currently available hardware, and the more compute power you have the higher rates/better modulators you'll be able to use
If you were going to build a computer just to run HQPlayer (DSD) and nothing else, what would you do? What processor, how much ram, what kind of cooling?

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #582 of 1,524
If you were going to build a computer just to run HQPlayer (DSD) and nothing else, what would you do? What processor, how much ram, what kind of cooling?
Best intel CPU you can get as first priority, and then whatever Nvidia GPU fits in your remaining budget.

RAM you don't need tons. 16/32gb is fine. That's seemingly not much of a bottleneck with HQP. (Though with PGGB where you're doing hundreds of millions/billions of taps it is, and the more RAM you can get for that the better).

Cooling is a bit of a situational one, for most people I'd recommend just getting a 240/360mm AIO cooler if you can, lots on the market for not much money nowadays.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #583 of 1,524
Hello,
I would appreciate some help on how to use offload to e-cores (Intel I7-12700k) on HQPe version 5.4.1.
I tried HQPe OS (usb) installation and also on on HQPe Ubuntu but I cannot see any option on the web interface in the configuration page neither using HQPlayer client settings window.
Thanks in advance for your help

I did not watch this topic with more attention since my 11th Gen intel does not distinguish P and E cores. But I noticed discussion about the topic on the AS forum. Look at discussion starting in the previous week here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ayer-embedded/?do=findComment&comment=1269931

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #584 of 1,524
Best intel CPU you can get as first priority, and then whatever Nvidia GPU fits in your remaining budget.

RAM you don't need tons. 16/32gb is fine. That's seemingly not much of a bottleneck with HQP. (Though with PGGB where you're doing hundreds of millions/billions of taps it is, and the more RAM you can get for that the better).

Cooling is a bit of a situational one, for most people I'd recommend just getting a 240/360mm AIO cooler if you can, lots on the market for not much money nowadays.
Is a i7 a good option, or would you go all out and get an i9?

Would you need liquid cooling?

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #585 of 1,524
If someone was going to build a computer to run HQPlayer OS, what kind of specifications would be optimal for this?

HQPlayer OS does not support CUDA because of the realtime kernel used and of course because of Miska decision. HQPlayer OS is meant to be enough easy for users who are not familiar with Linux. Updates are about burning new image on SD card and re-booting. nVidia card drivers (which are card model specific) would make so easy updates not possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back