HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Nov 6, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #256 of 1,428
Thanks.

Would I be better off using Qobuz instead with HQ player if it only does the first MQA unfold?

if yes would love to know what the difference would be?

When using tidal in HQ Player of the drop down menu for MQA what option should I select ? (Pic attached)

Thanks!
Heilo.

Qobuz vs Tidal is personal preference with cost, content, audible differences.

In Roon, it should be no MQA but enable core with show more buttom.

Nov 14, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #257 of 1,428
thanks.

Just checked with the dealer the spring supports DSD 64x, 128x, 256x, 512x and even 1024x

my computer is a macbook pro with a M1 Max // 64GB Ram and giving an output of 1.4112M on my DAC it is using between 25 - 30% of CPU usage. its not having any impact on how I'm using my computer.

Going back to the slight popping noise, Is there any harm in leaving it as I have it? or would any changes help resolve it?
It's seems to have diminshed perhaps from a reboot?

is there any harm in upsampling to 1536?

would love a comment on what do to with MQA settings in Roon for HQPlayer? does HQPlayer upsample MQA?
The Spring 3 does in fact support x48 DSD rates. No need to spend all the CPU not using the native rate family.

Nov 14, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #258 of 1,428
I haven't been using HQPlayer much recently, but some of the new filters in 5.0 look tempting. I can't really justify the cost to upgrade at this point. It's a bummer that I only got a year or so out of my 4.0 license before 5.0 was released :frowning2:

Poor timing I guess...

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #259 of 1,428
I haven't been using HQPlayer much recently, but some of the new filters in 5.0 look tempting. I can't really justify the cost to upgrade at this point. It's a bummer that I only got a year or so out of my 4.0 license before 5.0 was released :frowning2:

Poor timing I guess...
You will get a small discount depending on how recently you bought 4!
I suggest you try the trial mode to see if the super modulators and the new filters are your favorite. In hindsight I myself would be perfectly happy with 4 but I really like Jussi's work so I absolutely don't regret supporting him by buying HQP5

Nov 16, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #260 of 1,428
For those who are at the 1024 output level, there are two new modulators as part of the 5.3 release.

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #261 of 1,428
For those who are at the 1024 output level, there are two new modulators as part of the 5.3 release.
Heloe.

Tried 5.3.0 last night. Also, tried with all other sincs, closed form, ext2, guass long, as well as sinc short, medium and long filters at 1024x44.1. Most all trialed with the exception of sinc L that did not work. I can't seem to break free of the usual setting. Will continue with different others again.

mxahm7ec5l.png

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #262 of 1,428
I finally got HQ Player setup but finding the sound having less bass and a little thin.

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #263 of 1,428
I finally got HQ Player setup but finding the sound having less bass and a little thin.
Hehloe.

Which filters and modulators have you tried?
EC DSD modulators typically presented bass more level in my experience, if you have not tried some.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #264 of 1,428
Heelo.
Finally got to try these combos with my silver cables tonight.
Had some nice moments of frisson and tears with these and others but still went back to copper, hires lp and amsdm7ec 512+fs.

Hireslpasdm7ecv21024.pngMgaasdm7ecsuper512+fs.png

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #265 of 1,428
Heelo.
Finally got to try these combos with my silver cables tonight.
Had some nice moments of frisson and tears with these and others but still went back to copper, hires lp and amsdm7ec 512+fs.

amsdm7ec 512+fs is underappreciated and is a good combination with warmer equipment.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #266 of 1,428
So, anyone with a verdict on AHM7EC5L? It's the only EC modulator i'm able to run at DSD1024, interested in how close it gets to 7ECv3 or Super at that rate.
I was a bit sceptical since Jussi mentioned an elevated noise level but for some reason the sound is very pleasing!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #267 of 1,428
sinc-long has displaced poly-sinc-gauss-long for me now for 4x PCM.

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #268 of 1,428
So, anyone with a verdict on AHM7EC5L? It's the only EC modulator i'm able to run at DSD1024, interested in how close it gets to 7ECv3 or Super at that rate.
I keep trying it, wanting it to be some panacea but I keep going back to 7ECv3@512. The new one seems off but it could be just me, as I'm having difficulty explaining why. The best way I can describe it is something sounds like it is impacting phase.

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #269 of 1,428
I keep trying it, wanting it to be some panacea but I keep going back to 7ECv3@512. The new one seems off but it could be just me, as I'm having difficulty explaining why. The best way I can describe it is something sounds like it is impacting phase.
It's definitely a weird one! Just an hour of listening so far but to my ears is pleasing. Can't exactly articulate why though. As Jussi said don't change rate and modulator at the same time, i'm used to DSD512 so some of the changes I'm hearing might be simply from upping the rate.

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #270 of 1,428
sinc-long has displaced poly-sinc-gauss-long for me now for 4x PCM.
sinc long is quite good in pcm at 1.411

It begins to have too much decay at dsd1024 with new ahm7ec5l modulator and seemed overly thick and blurred along with sinc mx on copper so I tried silver and it was better relative to copper. However, better did not necessarily become preferrable. Closed form family also did well here.

amsdm7ec 512+fs is underappreciated and is a good combination with warmer equipment.
Yes, my theory is that it brings the best balance of mid vocal transients and decay timing on LCD5 giving it the alluring toobey effect while maintaining bass presence in the mix on copper where this is lost with the brighter tilt with silver. So, on an already tooby warm sound would imagine copper and this would not work as well being too much of the same effect.

keep trying it, wanting it to be some panacea but I keep going back to 7ECv3@512. The new one seems off but it could be just me, as I'm having difficulty explaining why. The best way I can describe it is something sounds like it is impacting phase.

Have you tried inverting phase as I recall some Sus units had this reversed. But, would not be surprised if it is across all cans as I found above did not work out with my unit either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back