HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Oct 30, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #181 of 1,407
nice thread, subscribed!
unfortunetly, Im having issues in the last couple of days using Roon + HQP. Already explained this at the Roon forum, so will just repeat below, if anyone can help plse!

Windows 11, 13900K 32gbRAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details​

No wifi, all wired. Modem to Router to Windows PC. Router to Innuos Phoenix Net switch to streamer (the issue I’m reporting is happening since Saturday with any of my three streamers). Streamer to DAC via USB.

Connected Audio Devices​

Issue started Saturday when was using my SotM SMS200 ultraneo as streamer. Have also a second such streamer and a Sonore Ultrarendu. To make sure , Im using one at a time, sending signal via USB to DAC. DAC is T+A DAC200. Have been using this same setup for about a year without issues, using Roon to control HQPlayer Desktop 4 (current version 4.22.1).

Number of Tracks in Library​

no idea, only connected to qobuz and tidal, maybe a couple 000s, no local files

Description of Issue​

I use HQP+Roon for over a year, I know every now and then I can loose connection but usually I spot the “mistake” in 5 minutes. I have Checked that the IP of all my streamers in Roon is correct, checked that HQPlayer zone is selected as output in Roon and of course checked that “Allow network control” button is pressed.
Saturday something different happened. I lost connection due to a short power shortage. When I reconnected everything and try to play music, Roon keeps saying it lost connection with HQP. I have already spend 2h Saturday plus 4hrs Sunday trying to reconnect.
I already have: hard reseted everything from modem, router, switch, streamer (Im using SotM 200 ultra neo but I have already also tried yesterday and today with my ultrarendu and my second 200 ultra neo as I have two), DAC, etc, in this order and then in different orders. I have unstalled and reinstalled both HQP and Roon (I may have reinstalled roon at least 6 times already to try playback before and after importing backup files from Saturday, before and after Roon updates), deleted and re-added HQplayer zone with the correct, reserved IP some 10 times, I have made all updates on all 3 streamers, reseted my routher to factory settings and re-added all my streamers and audio devices to reserved IP list, I ha
ve took HQP and roon off from the startup program list (which was a recent modification I did so I figured it might have affected), etc etc. Im running out of ideas, but I haven’t played with windows settings or my network settings other than resetting the router. Importantly, please note all three streamers are working 100% fine in roon ready mode if I choose them as zones, and also with all streamers HQP is working 100% fine if I use the Client for playback, this is what Ive been using to playback since Saturday

Oct 30, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #182 of 1,407
Longest filters need not to be best sounding. They may bring more weighty sound and better timbre with slower music content (classical etc.), but they have also drawbacks. Since the actual sample value is computed from very long series of previous and next samples, long filters introduce a smearing, which is audible especially in faster genres. On systems, which are well treated against computer noise, short to middle length filters may sound better with pop/rock recordings. But of course, it is very individual, it is about what for sound a listener likes.

Are you using HQPlayer 5.20? sinc-short, -medium and -long were converted to 2 stage filters and now require less computer resources.

If sinc-long is not working properly, as stated above, staying in the same sample rate family (44.1x or 48x) as source content may help. Conversion between families requires more computing resources.

Mentioning i7 is not telling enough about performance. 6th gen vs 13th gen brings much difference.
I think the bolded above is only applicable for SDM output.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #184 of 1,407
nice thread, subscribed!
unfortunetly, Im having issues in the last couple of days using Roon + HQP. Already explained this at the Roon forum, so will just repeat below, if anyone can help plse!

Windows 11, 13900K 32gbRAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details​

No wifi, all wired. Modem to Router to Windows PC. Router to Innuos Phoenix Net switch to streamer (the issue I’m reporting is happening since Saturday with any of my three streamers). Streamer to DAC via USB.

Connected Audio Devices​

Issue started Saturday when was using my SotM SMS200 ultraneo as streamer. Have also a second such streamer and a Sonore Ultrarendu. To make sure , Im using one at a time, sending signal via USB to DAC. DAC is T+A DAC200. Have been using this same setup for about a year without issues, using Roon to control HQPlayer Desktop 4 (current version 4.22.1).

Number of Tracks in Library​

no idea, only connected to qobuz and tidal, maybe a couple 000s, no local files

Description of Issue​

I use HQP+Roon for over a year, I know every now and then I can loose connection but usually I spot the “mistake” in 5 minutes. I have Checked that the IP of all my streamers in Roon is correct, checked that HQPlayer zone is selected as output in Roon and of course checked that “Allow network control” button is pressed.
Saturday something different happened. I lost connection due to a short power shortage. When I reconnected everything and try to play music, Roon keeps saying it lost connection with HQP. I have already spend 2h Saturday plus 4hrs Sunday trying to reconnect.
I already have: hard reseted everything from modem, router, switch, streamer (Im using SotM 200 ultra neo but I have already also tried yesterday and today with my ultrarendu and my second 200 ultra neo as I have two), DAC, etc, in this order and then in different orders. I have unstalled and reinstalled both HQP and Roon (I may have reinstalled roon at least 6 times already to try playback before and after importing backup files from Saturday, before and after Roon updates), deleted and re-added HQplayer zone with the correct, reserved IP some 10 times, I have made all updates on all 3 streamers, reseted my routher to factory settings and re-added all my streamers and audio devices to reserved IP list, I ha
ve took HQP and roon off from the startup program list (which was a recent modification I did so I figured it might have affected), etc etc. Im running out of ideas, but I haven’t played with windows settings or my network settings other than resetting the router. Importantly, please note all three streamers are working 100% fine in roon ready mode if I choose them as zones, and also with all streamers HQP is working 100% fine if I use the Client for playback, this is what Ive been using to playback since Saturday
try wireless PC and see if that resolves. If not, install roon on a different machine and try again. No need to worry about moving the full library over, just a test scenario. If it still exists, I'd point to the Phoenix switch or the router. Try then without the switch and see if it resolves. Ultimately, the process of elimination should identify the culprit and from there it can be further troubleshot.

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #185 of 1,407
tks, they were valid suggestions I hadnt tried.
I now tried wireless on the PC with Roon/hqp (didnt solve) and taking the innuos off the system (didnt solve)..
Im more hesitant to try the second PC. I do have a second system with both roon/hqp (I only use one at a time of course, so both softwares use the same license), but in another city I wont be for a couple weeks now.
I also have a 11th i5 PC laptop that in theory should be fine for trying here in the home Im having trouble.. but Im a bit a lazy, specially since once a year ago I tried to play with HQP on this same laptop in the city with the second system to test sound quality, and it didnt really work, so I guess this test might not say anything in the end. Im still hoping I get a response at the roon community thread I posted the doubt, otherqwise I will cancel my subscription and try to use another app. BTW this issue is making me wanna try HQP 5, it appears to have better manageability of Qobuz features. of course not a long term solution because I dont wanna leave the couch each time I want to change the song hehe..

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #186 of 1,407
I now tried wireless on the PC with Roon/hqp (didnt solve) and taking the innuos off the system (didnt solve)..
Im more hesitant to try the second PC. I do have a second system with both roon/hqp (I only use one at a time of course, so both softwares use the same license), but in another city I wont be for a couple weeks now.
I also have a 11th i5 PC laptop that in theory should be fine for trying here in the home Im having trouble.. but Im a bit a lazy, specially since once a year ago I tried to play with HQP on this same laptop in the city with the second system to test sound quality, and it didnt really work, so I guess this test might not say anything in the end. Im still hoping I get a response at the roon community thread I posted the doubt, otherqwise I will cancel my subscription and try to use another app. BTW this issue is making me wanna try HQP 5, it appears to have better manageability of Qobuz features. of course not a long term solution because I dont wanna leave the couch each time I want to change the song hehe..
My thought is somehow a port is being blocked. If you know how to get to the Windows firewall settings, check to see whether Roon and HQPlayer are being allowed to pass.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #187 of 1,407
also a valid point.. tks! I know it's another language but I guess the names of the apps and both boxes checked speak for themselves. On top of that, I just briefly tested deactiviting all my firewalls (domain, private, public) and restarted roon and it still could not connect to HQP
1698747298119.png

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #188 of 1,407
also a valid point.. tks! I know it's another language but I guess the names of the apps and both boxes checked speak for themselves. On top of that, I just briefly tested deactiviting all my firewalls (domain, private, public) and restarted roon and it still could not connect to HQP
Hqplayer5desktop should also have a check under privada.

Additionally, there should be a separate raatserver.exe that needs to pass as well.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #189 of 1,407
oh and raatserver is also checked!
Yes I dont know why HQP 5 came unchecked... but anyway I just installed yesterday evening to try, it wasnt even installed since Saturday. but much thanks for taking the time to try to help.

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #190 of 1,407
Maybe this is just a shot in the dark, but I once had the problem that I couldn't get a connection to HQPlayer anymore - the only thing that helped me was to replace "localhost" in Roon with the IP of my Mac Mini running HQPlayer.
It should be worth a try in any case.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #191 of 1,407

I once had a connection issue that turned out to be the Z790 2.5gbe network EEE issue.
Disabling Energy Efficient Ethernet in network card settings was the fix at that time. If you have not tried wireless yet.

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #192 of 1,407
@babarrun

firtst open HQPlayer and check the liitle networkball :
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.53.19.png

then open ROON, settings -> setup -> Add HQPlayer:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.46.08.png

in my case, "localhost" don't work, so i use the ip from my mac mini, you should do the same, because Roon and HQPlayer do not run on the same device:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.46.41.png

Then connect mackboo to your KTE, open HQPlayer, settings, output, backend, and choose CoreAudio, your KTE should then appear, with me it looks like this with my Topping DX5 on my desktop system:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 15.13.53.png

Device is my Topping DX 5.

Choose "PCM" on default mode, and for first steps choose some "lightweight" filters:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.48.21.png

After that, go to ROON again, settings -> audio, and enable your HQPlayer:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.49.18.png

Thats it!
Now chosse HQPlayer in Roon Zones, and play any album :)
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.50.05.png

So the only thing what will change if you decide to buy an endpoint, like Raspberry Pi4, you have to select Networkaudioadapter IPv6 in HQPlayer output, instead of CoreAudio.
Here how it looks:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-31 um 14.47.38.png

The Rpi4 is more a "budget solution", in your case, wirh KTE, i would recommend the Holo Audio Red :)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #193 of 1,407
I tried wireless briefly yesterday and reinstalles roon one more time and it still didnt work, but I admit I suspect on something on my windows/network settings. This was Jussi's response at the Roon forum:
Does anything appear in HQPlayer log file about Roon connection / playback attempts?
If you are using HQPlayer Desktop, keep eye on the HQPlayer server status bar for messages when you attempt playback from Roon side.

regarding localhost vs typng IP, agree it's a good suggestion, but Im mainly tryng to use my streamers as I dont have an audio server, just a regular PC, so it's the streamer's (reserved) IP that I type (copy, paste) each time at the "add HQPlayer" button at Roon. I try removing and readding them but I dont think that helps since Roon memorizes them (upon re-adding, the last name I choose for that streamer HQP audio zone is automatically back. That's why I tried unstalling Roon including databases, but the result was the same. and yes I added also the PC IP, but its been many months I havent played like that since the PC is far from the DAC so it would be odd to connect a USB directly.

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #195 of 1,407
Can hq player act as upnp renderer?

HQPlayer Embedded only (not HQPlayer Desktop). Only on Linux: Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS Jammy Jellyfish, Debian 11 Bullseye or Fedora 37 Server/Minimal 64-bit OS installed

Embedded is also part of Signalyst Linux distro called HQPlayer OS, which can be easily installed by burning ready made image to flash disk (or SD card).

HQPlayer OS does not support nVidia GPU CUDA offload. Embedded installed on Linux provides support for CUDA offload.

Does it have qobuz login?

Yes, in HQPlayer Client, which can be used with both Desktop and Embedded.

Which filter is the most accurate?

I would rather search for which one sounds best for you. Listening experience is subjective thing. I remember Miska mentioned few times that technically most accurate could be poly-sinc-xtr-short or maybe poly-sinc-xtr. I didn't like their transients without galvanic isolator, then I started to use them, but not for every ocassion. One has to try different filters on his own rig ...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back