HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Aug 4, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #151 of 1,362
The May has full laser diode galvanic isolation for the USB input, meaning the USB host is not actually directly electrically connected to the DAC itself and noise cannot pass through, so it's effectively immune to USB source changes.

In terms of HQPlayer settings I've got a config file + guide here that should be a good start. The new HQP 5 has a different settings layout but the settings themselves are the same.
Would recommend trying both Sinc-Mx and Sinc-L as those are the two technically best filters but some have a preference for one over the other

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/106xSVmY-4ct2IZMJX4jY81vZlkaNitU0

When you have the Holo May, will you get the same noise and jitter performance when using its USB input vs its other inputs via any DDC/Streamer?

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #152 of 1,362
The May has full laser diode galvanic isolation for the USB input, meaning the USB host is not actually directly electrically connected to the DAC itself and noise cannot pass through, so it's effectively immune to USB source changes.

In terms of HQPlayer settings I've got a config file + guide here that should be a good start. The new HQP 5 has a different settings layout but the settings themselves are the same.
Would recommend trying both Sinc-Mx and Sinc-L as those are the two technically best filters but some have a preference for one over the other

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/106xSVmY-4ct2IZMJX4jY81vZlkaNitU0
Is your preference still PCM over SDM?

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #153 of 1,362
Is your preference still PCM over SDM?
Depends on the specific DAC.

For the May yes, I prefer PCM.
For ESS DACs PCM
For AKM DACs usually DSD but haven't tried it with the latest gen ones yet
For other discrete/proprietary topologies it depends on how they handle each format.

Aug 5, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #154 of 1,362
Depends on the specific DAC.

For the May yes, I prefer PCM.
For ESS DACs PCM
For AKM DACs usually DSD but haven't tried it with the latest gen ones yet
For other discrete/proprietary topologies it depends on how they handle each format.
What about the Wavedream NET? Would you use it with HQplayer, and would you feed it PCM or HQP-converted DSD?
Thanks

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #155 of 1,362
Looking for advice:

My current play is to first buy a Denafrips Ares 12th Anniversary and run balanced to my LittleDot Mk3 SE. Then, I’ll run balanced to my HiFiMan Edition XS.

My laptop is an M2 MacBook Air. Eventually, I plan to pick up an Arce Streamer and run through I2S from Arce to Ares 12th.

What sort of settings might this require, and what sort of rates could I get?

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #156 of 1,362
What about the Wavedream NET? Would you use it with HQplayer, and would you feed it PCM or HQP-converted DSD?
Thanks
Wavedream NET is a transport so it doesn't have any DA conversion capabilities.

The Wavedream DAC itself id use pcm as it cannot convert dsd natively and converts it to PCM first internally anyway. So it's better to just use pcm

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #157 of 1,362
Wavedream NET is a transport so it doesn't have any DA conversion capabilities.

The Wavedream DAC itself id use pcm as it cannot convert dsd natively and converts it to PCM first internally anyway. So it's better to just use pcm
Got it thanks! One thing I'm wondering , since I'm considering getting a Wavedream Signature/Wavedream Net: Since the Wavedream DAC does all the filtering/upconversion, are there any sonic benefits to be gained by putting a Wavedream Net in the chain before the DAC? Or does it sound the same as plugging the Wavedream DAC directly to a source like a PC?

Just curious.... Thanks

Aug 13, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #158 of 1,362
Anyone managed to use JRiver Media Center as front end, along with HQPlayer? Both running on a Win10 PC?
I have been using JRiver MC for years, and really prefer to keep it as the GUI for my music library...
You'll need to use HQPlayer Embedded, but you can output from JRiver using UPNP into HQPe

Aug 13, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #159 of 1,362
I've been happily using HQPlayer desktop for a few years now in my two headphone setups and they currently look like:
  • M1 Macbook Air > Intona 7055C > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE > Violectric V281 HPA > Hifiman HE1000 V2 (EQ'd)
  • Intel iMac > Intona 7055C > Denafrips Ares 12th or iFi Zen Dac Signature II > Holo Audio Azure HPA > Hifiman Edition XS (EQ'd)
After countless comparisons including NAA experimentation, swapping HPAs around, filter experimentation etc. I'm very happy with PCM upsampling and the related benefit of lower CPU resources needed compared to DSD upsampling.

I haven't upgraded to HQPlayer 5 for the following reasons:
  1. I really enjoy my current setups.
  2. My ears are well on the wrong side of 55 and I already find it difficult to tell a worthwhile difference between some of the filter and dithering options.
  3. I've been in this hobby for a long time and my motivation to eek out the last 1 or 2% of possible (or imaginable) improvement has diminished.
  4. The cost of upgrading is AUD 430 after discount and I'm just not sure I will find anything in the new version that is worth paying that sort of premium for.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #160 of 1,362
I've been happily using HQPlayer desktop for a few years now in my two headphone setups and they currently look like:
  • M1 Macbook Air > Intona 7055C > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE > Violectric V281 HPA > Hifiman HE1000 V2 (EQ'd)
  • Intel iMac > Intona 7055C > Denafrips Ares 12th or iFi Zen Dac Signature II > Holo Audio Azure HPA > Hifiman Edition XS (EQ'd)
After countless comparisons including NAA experimentation, swapping HPAs around, filter experimentation etc. I'm very happy with PCM upsampling and the related benefit of lower CPU resources needed compared to DSD upsampling.

I haven't upgraded to HQPlayer 5 for the following reasons:
  1. I really enjoy my current setups.
  2. My ears are well on the wrong side of 55 and I already find it difficult to tell a worthwhile difference between some of the filter and dithering options.
  3. I've been in this hobby for a long time and my motivation to eek out the last 1 or 2% of possible (or imaginable) improvement has diminished.
  4. The cost of upgrading is AUD 430 after discount and I'm just not sure I will find anything in the new version that is worth paying that sort of premium for.
While I completely respect and appreciate your perspective, I’m curious if you’ve tried the sinc-long filter? I suspect it is similar to the filters used in pggb, which I have sampled and enjoyed.

My laptop is not powerful enough for sinc-long but I have seen folks raving about it for pcm upsampling. Perhaps worth an audition since it only costs time!

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #161 of 1,362
Aug 14, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #162 of 1,362
Aug 14, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #163 of 1,362
While I completely respect and appreciate your perspective, I’m curious if you’ve tried the sinc-long filter? I suspect it is similar to the filters used in pggb, which I have sampled and enjoyed.

My laptop is not powerful enough for sinc-long but I have seen folks raving about it for pcm upsampling. Perhaps worth an audition since it only costs time!
I did read somewhere that sinc-long focus
Is mainly classical (haven’t been able to try, pc chokes on it 😂) and sinc-medium a more allrounder. I liked the sinc-medium (my pc just manages that)

Aug 14, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #164 of 1,362
Hqplayer embedded is only available for Linux though, not for Windows and Mac.
I keep forgetting that... Sigh. That is a showstopper in my current setup! :disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back