HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Apr 27, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #1,201 of 1,366
I think the vinyl sounding signature comes from the transformer output creating distortion
totally agreed. especially as the frequency moved low. But in spite of the increase harmonic distortion, bass still sounds strong and tight. The sound is greater than the sum of its parts.

I would like to hear it one day with alternatives to the output stage. The discrete digital side needs no change.

I made some measurements earlier of the DSC2 with my E1DA ADC. Since then, I have bought the rest of the E1DA suite and will get even more accurate numbers when I have the chance to measure.

It isn't that important, but if anyone is curious I will post them.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #1,202 of 1,366
totally agreed. especially as the frequency moved low. But in spite of the increase harmonic distortion, bass still sounds strong and tight. The sound is greater than the sum of its parts.

I would like to hear it one day with alternatives to the output stage. The discrete digital side needs no change.

I made some measurements earlier of the DSC2 with my E1DA ADC. Since then, I have bought the rest of the E1DA suite and will get even more accurate numbers when I have the chance to measure.

I am obviously interested. Would be super curious to see difference between using the transformer output vs something more standard like maybe using some opamps …

Cheers

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #1,204 of 1,366
Do I need to concern the way of my connections?
Currently my pc and mac are connected to the same router through Wifi. PC is the roon server and the mac is running the HQ player. The musics processed by the HQ player in my mac will be sent to the Holo Red. The Holo red is connected to the same router through an audiograde cable.
My question is, will I obtain a better result if my mac and even my pc are connected to the router through LAN cables?
And I am thinking is there any way to connect the mac with holo red directly to get rid of the router? I know the holo red is also a DDC but I prefer NAA of HQplayer.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #1,205 of 1,366
Do I need to concern the way of my connections?
Currently my pc and mac are connected to the same router through Wifi. PC is the roon server and the mac is running the HQ player. The musics processed by the HQ player in my mac will be sent to the Holo Red. The Holo red is connected to the same router through an audiograde cable.
My question is, will I obtain a better result if my mac and even my pc are connected to the router through LAN cables?
And I am thinking is there any way to connect the mac with holo red directly to get rid of the router? I know the holo red is also a DDC but I prefer NAA of HQplayer.
One thing about the wifi connection is it provides isolation. My Mac mini (Roon and HQP server) is connected to my router via LAN cable and then goes into a Gustard switch with a fiber port, so my front end is being fed by fiber (another fiber-LAN converter at the DAC side), which isolates in a similar way.
So if you're going to plug the Mac and PC into the router, I would highly recommend doing the same, with a short LAN cable into a fiber converter, then fiber optic cable to another converter near the Red (assuming it's being used as your streamer), with a short LAN cable from the Red into your DAC. Hope that makes sense.
Another way to approach things is to send the wifi signal to a mesh repeater/booster with a LAN port, then go straight out to the Red with another short LAN cable.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #1,206 of 1,366
One thing about the wifi connection is it provides isolation. My Mac mini (Roon and HQP server) is connected to my router via LAN cable and then goes into a Gustard switch with a fiber port, so my front end is being fed by fiber (another fiber-LAN converter at the DAC side), which isolates in a similar way.
So if you're going to plug the Mac and PC into the router, I would highly recommend doing the same, with a short LAN cable into a fiber converter, then fiber optic cable to another converter near the Red (assuming it's being used as your streamer), with a short LAN cable from the Red into your DAC. Hope that makes sense.
Another way to approach things is to send the wifi signal to a mesh repeater/booster with a LAN port, then go straight out to the Red with another short LAN cable.
Thanks so much. but u said wifi connection has isolation, do you mean i actually can skip plugging the pc and mac into router? I can get a good result by using wifi?

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #1,207 of 1,366

Wonder what settings do you use for the dsc2? Pavek recommends dsd512 AMSDM7 512fs on his web page I suppose that was before the 7EC modulators become available?

Cheers

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #1,208 of 1,366
Thanks so much. but u said wifi connection has isolation, do you mean i actually can skip plugging the pc and mac into router? I can get a good result by using wifi?
WiFi interface itself (independently on existence of a HQPlayer computer somewhere in LAN) is usually more noisy than Ethernet interface. Therefore Ethernet interface is usually preferred at audio endpoint (NAA) side.

Use of a common router/switch and only one LAN interface on both HQPlayer and NAA computers is recommended, otherwise you can experience difficulties with discovering NAA computer(s) by HQPlayer computer(s) on your LAN. Furthemore, Ethernet switch also provides some level of NAA isolation from other computers in your Ethernet LAN.

WiFi of course provides full galvanic isolation, so if your WiFi is enough fast for your needs, I see no objections against using it on HQPlayer computer side. It can make HQPlayer computer a bit noisier than Ethernet interface, but who cares, when that noise isn't transferred through air.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #1,209 of 1,366
Surprised no one talks about the dac correction feature that much.

myself (cyan 2) and my friend who owns a spring 3 kte heard the improvements. I have not been able to spend too much time on the cyan 2 as I just bought another dac (Signalyst dsc2) yesterday.

But yes, it just sounds like imaging more precised, more like all the pieces are tied together better - coherency. They're not as spread out and completely unlinked. Like all the instruments are more believably located in the same space.

All I can say is WOW!!!

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #1,210 of 1,366
Surprised no one talks about the dac correction feature that much.

myself (cyan 2) and my friend who owns a spring 3 kte heard the improvements. I have not been able to spend too much time on the cyan 2 as I just bought another dac (Signalyst dsc2) yesterday.

But yes, it just sounds like imaging more precised, more like all the pieces are tied together better - coherency. They're not as spread out and completely unlinked. Like all the instruments are more believably located in the same space.

All I can say is WOW!!!
I'm super curious about the dac correction! Eagerly awaiting Jussi's hints on what exactly it is correcting :)

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #1,211 of 1,366
I've just posted a video demonstrating that not only can high performance oversampling indeed make an audible difference vs standard filters, but therefore DACs themselves even if 120dB SINAD can also still sound different and are in fact not necessarily 'Audibly Transparent'

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #1,212 of 1,366
I've just posted a video demonstrating that not only can high performance oversampling indeed make an audible difference vs standard filters, but therefore DACs themselves even if 120dB SINAD can also still sound different and are in fact not necessarily 'Audibly Transparent'

Thanks @GoldensSound, makes a great treat to watch on a Sunday afternoon!!!

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,213 of 1,366
@GoldenSound, thanks for making this Sunday afternoon more interesting. I can imagine how much effort is behind preparing both the test and the video presentation. And of course, you can expect different kind of reactions, for example on ASR.

One does not need to hear about 20k to distinguish sound of different filters, since there is also filter time response, not only frequency response. IMO differences between filters can be heard also in midrange. That's how I understand what I hear, although I don't care to setup a blind test, nor to create such a video.

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #1,214 of 1,366
@GoldenSound, thanks for making this Sunday afternoon more interesting. I can imagine how much effort is behind preparing both the test and the video presentation. And of course, you can expect different kind of reactions, for example on ASR.

One does not need to hear about 20k to distinguish sound of different filters, since there is also filter time response, not only frequency response. IMO differences between filters can be heard also in midrange. That's how I understand what I hear, although I don't care to setup a blind test, nor to create such a video.
Yeah the time domain stuff is where I can't currently test unfortunately. I'll need to repeat the test in a couple years once my hearing range has dropped a bit and see if there are any remaining differences that can no longer be explained by the treble extension itself

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #1,215 of 1,366
Yeah the time domain stuff is where I can't currently test unfortunately. I'll need to repeat the test in a couple years once my hearing range has dropped a bit and see if there are any remaining differences that can no longer be explained by the treble extension itself
I believe the general consensus is that filtering also has an audible impact for hires (2x rate) content, where you'll be sure to hear absolutely nothing since any filter ringing or other effects will happen all the way up at 44.1/48 Khz. Maybe something worth giving a try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back