HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
May 13, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #16 of 1,407
My goto is DSD1024 poly sinc gauss hires-lp and AMSDM7 512 +fs with HQPE v5. PC runs Euphony v4 (no Windows) and is powered by several lpsus (2 x for the motherboard and 2 x for the usb and Ethernet cards).

I can’t do the EC modulators as I’m using a passively cooled 12900k (no GPU). I need a silent PC close by as there is no Ethernet port by my listening station. I’m hooked up to an Asus Mesh node via a 5 metre long Ethernet cable which is connected to an Etherstream 2 switch (powered by an LPSU). Switch is then connected to the pc via a JCAT NET XE card. Holo Red provides NAA duties (connected to the switch via a simple optical bridge). Everything just works - no dropouts ever. Life would be easier though if I could hook up to a powerful gaming PC in the next room… Will grab the new etherregen 2 when it comes out.

CPU load is less than 50% on the two main cores. Temps 40-55 degrees C. The new EC light that comes with HQPE v5 works with DSD1024 but I get stutters. Not far off working though. I reckon a 14900k with some further software refinements from Jussi might just unlock 1024 with EC modulator for me.

Sounds amazing already though. Especially with Mitch’s convolution filters for my LCD5.

May 13, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #17 of 1,407
The above load is low enough that this can be handled by more power efficient card like the Pascal based GTX1080.
FP64 is rated at 0.27 TFlops
This will keep this card at 50-60% load
I can do 1.536MHz PCM with A4000. That card is quite efficient and not too expensive from secondary market. I think it has roughly the same FP64 as 3080Ti, but much slower power need.

May 14, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #18 of 1,407
I can do 1.536MHz PCM with A4000. That card is quite efficient and not too expensive from secondary market. I think it has roughly the same FP64 as 3080Ti, but much slower power need.
3080Ti is what I have on hand, once the work to determine performance requirements of Hqplayer 5's filters is done, I would probably switch to something less power hungry.
NVidia's compute cards are looking interesting now that Hqplayer 5 is giving more work to the GPU

May 14, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #19 of 1,407
3080Ti is what I have on hand, once the work to determine performance requirements of Hqplayer 5's filters is done, I would probably switch to something less power hungry.
NVidia's compute cards are looking interesting now that Hqplayer 5 is giving more work to the GPU
I really like my A4000. The only thing I occasionally miss is 24GB memory due to sinc-L @ DSD1024. Yes, the wait time would be laughable anyway, but still. Not being able to play at all has sometimes bugged me. I would definitely go for 24 now if I would start from scratch. Outside of that, the performance has filled basically all of the use cases I'm interested in.

May 14, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #20 of 1,407
Wow the new sinc-long filter does sound great. Such great sense of space and the bass is warm and dry. My little NUC that runs HQPlayer OS choked on it, but my gaming PC with a Nvidia 2080TI was able to run it without a problem. The little NUC can handle sinc-medium and sinc-L without any problems. This is the first one that struggles with PCM output on it.

May 16, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #21 of 1,407
Hi, new to HQPlayer and want to eventually try out the software. Total newbie here with PC/computer audio. Would a Microsoft Surface Pro 8 tablet be able to run the higher end HQPlayer upsampling filters or will it struggle to play? Based on what I am reading here sounds like you need a beefy computer with crazy specs to get the most out of HQPlayer. Is it even worth it using a Surfsce Pro 8?

May 16, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 1,407
Hi, new to HQPlayer and want to eventually try out the software. Total newbie here with PC/computer audio. Would a Microsoft Surface Pro 8 tablet be able to run the higher end HQPlayer upsampling filters or will it struggle to play? Based on what I am reading here sounds like you need a beefy computer with crazy specs to get the most out of HQPlayer. Is it even worth it using a Surfsce Pro 8?
If you're doing PCM output to the DAC, then almost all filters should work because they don't take much compute power from the CPU (sinc-long being the exception I know of). If you're running DSD output, then yes, you will need a beefy CPU (and a GPU won't hurt either).

May 17, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #23 of 1,407
If you're doing PCM output to the DAC, then almost all filters should work because they don't take much compute power from the CPU (sinc-long being the exception I know of). If you're running DSD output, then yes, you will need a beefy CPU (and a GPU won't hurt either).
Thanks for the feedback.

May 19, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #24 of 1,407
So many PCM filters to choose from, is there any documentation that briefly describes what each one does? Just curious, what are the favorite filters folks are using for PCM files?

May 20, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #25 of 1,407
So many PCM filters to choose from, is there any documentation that briefly describes what each one does? Just curious, what are the favorite filters folks are using for PCM files?
The PDF documentation that comes with the download or help page in HQPlayer OS describes all the filters. I like the SINC-M filter for 1x, and SINC-L or SINC-Ll or the new sinc-long for NX. Play around and find your favorites.

May 20, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #26 of 1,407
The PDF documentation that comes with the download or help page in HQPlayer OS describes all the filters. I like the SINC-M filter for 1x, and SINC-L or SINC-Ll or the new sinc-long for NX. Play around and find your favorites.
Cool thanks, will look for the pdf.

May 20, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #27 of 1,407
What is new in HQ player 5 as compared to previous version

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #28 of 1,407
What of new in HQ player 5 as compared to previous version
Handful of new filters, better offload to CUDA/GPU, performance improvements, metering through client, etc. There's a lot more if you output DSD as opposed to PCM. For PCM, there's a new set of sinc filters I really like.

May 21, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #29 of 1,407
I have been using JRiver Media Center for YEARS, and want to keep it for GUI and library management.
Anyone tried using HQPlayer (Embedded version) along with JRiver MC? I would love to give it a try, but not interested in replacing MC...
Anyone tried using HQPlayer (Embedded version) with JRiver MC as front end?

May 28, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #30 of 1,407
ASDM7EC-super has become my go to modulator. I've been using poly-sinc-gauss-xla/poly-sinc-gauss-xl -> ASDM7EC-super (44.1x DSD1024) exclusively for a week now. I tried ASDM7ECv3 after a long break and it sounds kind of thin now. Can't do 48x family @ DSD1024, but luckily gauss-xl(a) works accross families. ASDM7EC-super 512+fs is harder, so can't do that but DSD512. However, comparing the two @ DSD512, it's hard to say that one of those would be clearly better. DSD512->DSD1024 however is a very clear upgrade. To me the "threshold" goes between DSD512 and DSD1024.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back